Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Invite Big Side's Reserve Sides in to Lower Divisions

I think in Scottish football, we should allow the big sides to play reserve teams in the lower divisions. In Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, Portugal, and France the big teams have youth or reserve sides playing in the lower divisions. So that their players can get early experience of competitive football at a young age.

In Scotland, one problem we have is that the players with potential cannot get into the first team because there is someone in their way. My idea of having the under 23 year old sides playing in the lower divisions up to League One would allow young players to get early competitive experience of competitive football.

I think we should allow every Scottish Premier side to have a team in the League that can be promoted up to League One.

Some will say that it is more important to allow the smaller sides in the League. But I love the small sides, but having them finish 10 or 12 places higher in the league is not as important as having young players developed for the national side.

The priority should be in the development of players for the national side, the performances of our club sides in Europe, attracting and keeping big players in Scotland,

My idea would allow more top quality players to develop by getting experience of competitive soccer.

Remember Andy Robertson (Queen’s Park) and Kenny Dalglish(Cumbernauld United)  developed at smaller clubs in the lower or junior divisions.

We already allow Scottish youth sides in the Scottish Challenge Cup.

Only two Scottish clubs could actually field a B Team. Outside the Old Firm, the other clubs do not have enough players to commit to playing an entire season in a structured league. 

Frankly, it's not feasible.

I’ve always found it a lazy argument when people in England mentioned the idea of letting ‘B Teams’ into the Football League and the Football League Trophy. The only thing people have to back this up is “well, they do it in Germany and Spain and look at their national teams”, while totally ignoring the development programmes, facilities, number of coaches etc those clubs in those countries have. 

• Upvote 1

I've said it before that i find it disrespectful to lower league clubs. 

I'll never support it to be honest no matter how well it's supposedly worked abroad. One of those things I don't think we should budge on.