talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Invite Big Side's Reserve Sides in to Lower Divisions

I think in Scottish football, we should allow the big sides to play reserve teams in the lower divisions. In Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, Portugal, and France the big teams have youth or reserve sides playing in the lower divisions. So that their players can get early experience of competitive football at a young age.

In Scotland, one problem we have is that the players with potential cannot get into the first team because there is someone in their way. My idea of having the under 23 year old sides playing in the lower divisions up to League One would allow young players to get early competitive experience of competitive football.

I think we should allow every Scottish Premier side to have a team in the League that can be promoted up to League One.

Some will say that it is more important to allow the smaller sides in the League. But I love the small sides, but having them finish 10 or 12 places higher in the league is not as important as having young players developed for the national side.

The priority should be in the development of players for the national side, the performances of our club sides in Europe, attracting and keeping big players in Scotland,

My idea would allow more top quality players to develop by getting experience of competitive soccer.

Remember Andy Robertson (Queen’s Park) and Kenny Dalglish(Cumbernauld United)  developed at smaller clubs in the lower or junior divisions.

We already allow Scottish youth sides in the Scottish Challenge Cup.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only two Scottish clubs could actually field a B Team. Outside the Old Firm, the other clubs do not have enough players to commit to playing an entire season in a structured league. 

Frankly, it's not feasible.

• The title was changed to Invite Big Side's Reserve Sides in to Lower Divisions

I’ve always found it a lazy argument when people in England mentioned the idea of letting ‘B Teams’ into the Football League and the Football League Trophy. The only thing people have to back this up is “well, they do it in Germany and Spain and look at their national teams”, while totally ignoring the development programmes, facilities, number of coaches etc those clubs in those countries have. 

• 10 months later...

Probably could merge with this thread. 

Seems to pop up every six months, so just another attempt for the Old Firm to force themselves on the rest of Scottish football.

Personally, can't see how the next wave of 'international players' are best served playing against part time jobbers rather than taking the 'Brentford B' approach that Rangers had adopted pre pandemic.

Certainly could do with some refreshing of the pyramid system, and better system between the bottom of the SPFL and the Highland/Lowland leagues. It was botched previously with the creation of the Lowland league with several South and West of Scotland teams being misled and overlooked.

Personally, don't see why there isn't regionalisation beneath the second tier of Scottish football. 

I’ve never seen a compelling argument for it, as I’ve said above and probably elsewhere on here.

I don’t see a real issue with the loan system that we have in place in England anyway. By my calculations, the last 22 players who were picked by England only Tyrone Mings, Bukayo Saka, Declan Rice, Harry Winks, Phil Foden, Jude Bellingham and Jadon Sancho have not been loaned out to clubs at a lower level here but Mings and Bellingham did come through clubs outside of the Premier League, so 17/22 have either had loan spells in the Football League or have come through lower league clubs themselves. Are we in a particularly dark or bad place internationally? Well, no, we’re not. We’ve got two, sometimes three or four, options in each position across the park, reached the last World Cup Semi, come 3rd in the First Nations League and go into this year’s Euros among the favourites. Go back to the 2010’s, before Russia our record in tournaments read; getting pumped by Germany in the round of 16, quarter finals, group stage and round of 16 where we got convincingly beaten by the footballing giants of...Iceland. 

35 minutes ago, Dan said:

They've already managed it to some degree in the FL Trophy. It's predictably been shit.

It's been in the Scottish equivalent too, and interest in those games has plummeted. Can't imagine these league game would do too much better.

• Subscriber
30 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

I’ve never seen a compelling argument for it, as I’ve said above and probably elsewhere on here.

I don’t see a real issue with the loan system that we have in place in England anyway. By my calculations, the last 22 players who were picked by England only Tyrone Mings, Bukayo Saka, Declan Rice, Harry Winks, Phil Foden, Jude Bellingham and Jadon Sancho have not been loaned out to clubs at a lower level here but Mings and Bellingham did come through clubs outside of the Premier League, so 17/22 have either had loan spells in the Football League or have come through lower league clubs themselves. Are we in a particularly dark or bad place internationally? Well, no, we’re not. We’ve got two, sometimes three or four, options in each position across the park, reached the last World Cup Semi, come 3rd in the First Nations League and go into this year’s Euros among the favourites. Go back to the 2010’s, before Russia our record in tournaments read; getting pumped by Germany in the round of 16, quarter finals, group stage and round of 16 where we got convincingly beaten by the footballing giants of...Iceland. 

If England don't do anything this tournament there is no way you can put it down to the lack of B teams or any of that nonsense. We've actually got a quite good team now for the most part. Plenty of players in the side who've competed at a very good level. Saw this stat that other day, can't remember what it is exactly but there's a big correlation between players going to the latter stages of the Champions League and then going far in a tournament. I mean... that's hardly groundbreaking, and you would expect that to be the case, but it was enough of a correlation to be noteworthy.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived