talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Best and Worst Recruitment

football forum

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Premier League - For best I'd probably have to say Wolves, with Leicester a close second. They're always shrewd and show you don't have to spend big to land the talent. Bournemouth are without a doubt the worst; imagine spending ยฃ22m for Dominic Solanke. Their squad doesn't look too different from their first season in the Prem either and it's been five years since they came up. A big zero. Having said that, I'd also factor in Southampton for selling all of their prospects to larger teams and then riding on the same formula of Ryan Bertrand and the occasional decent signing like Moussa Djenepo.

Ligue 1 - I can't really think of a stand-out team in this one-horse race... for worst I'd say Monaco. They produce some true talents of the game, pose a threat to PSG's supremacy and then sell big and don't reinvest adequately in replacements, struggling to escape the relegation for the most part.

Bundesliga - For best you've got to look at RB Leipzig. I can't fault any of their transfers and they haven't spent too much either. For worst it's Eintracht Frankfurt. Imagine raking in a hundred million Euros from two players and reinvesting it in an aging Kevin Trapp and Bas Dost. I'm sorry but that's almost cardinal.

Serie A - There are too many candidates for the best but only one for worst: AC Milan. Their days of supremacy are clearly over for now and at the rate they're going compared to Inter they won't see a Serie A title on their side of Milan for a few decades.

La Liga - For best I'd have to say Villarreal. They don't spend often and when they do they're guaranteed to hit a player exceeding his price tag. For worst I'd say Celta Vigo. It's as though they don't actually like being in the top-flight. Iago Aspas has, quite literally, saved them from relegation for the past two seasons and looks set to do it again should it resume. I understand that they might not be one of the richer clubs but their transfer policy is pretty much non-existent.

• Administrator

For England it has to be us or Wolves. Spend far less than the traditional top 6 (bar Spurs recently) and pretty much over-achieve considering where the clubs are this season.

Ironic because we had some seriously good recruitment shortly before 15/16 then panicked before 16/17 buying players like Musa who just did not seem comfortable here and didn't perform at all well. Slimani was okay but again I don't think it helped that we didn't play to a style that suited him and I don't think he ever properly enjoyed it here. I think all the players we signed in the summer after winning the league aren't here any more, which speaks volumes.

Regarding Wolves, it helps that they are virtually spear-headed by Jorge Mendes hence being able to get all these talented youngsters; even when they were in the Championship they had Ruben Neves, Boly, Vinagre. All players who have been able to step up to Premier League. I think they finished something like 15th/16th the season before they won the Championship?! Obviously having a coach like Santo helps too but I think he is linked to Mendes as well.ย 

ย 

Can't really speak for other leagues too much - as much as I follow them I don't know too many recruitment strategies. I'd agree with @Decoย that AC Milan have have some shocking transfer windows recently. I think they aimed to have some kind of 'galactico' period but got it totally and utterly wrong. Their new owners missed the target several times.ย 

La Liga's worst could even be someone like Barcelona - ยฃ100+m on Ousmane Dembele. Just hasn't worked out at all with his injury issues (which I doubt they didn't know about) and some other odd choices. And Martin Braithwaite?! WTF is going on there. They've redeemed themselves a little with the likes of De Jong & Arthur. Nelson Semedo is under-rated in that side too. Their recruitment will be tested in the next 3-4 years though - players like Messi, Suarez, Busquets, Pique - the spine of their team will be nearing the end of their careers.ย 

Year upon year West Ham are shocking.

I think they do awful business personally and for very little reward.

Last three years are a prime example of this.

2017/18ย - ยฃ41m spent, ยฃ15m received, 13th place finish

2018/19 - ยฃ90m spent,ย ยฃ12m received, 10th place finish

2019/20 - ยฃ103m spent, ยฃ34m received, 16th place currently

ยฃ235m invested in 3 years, roughly ยฃ60m back and for what? A team that flirts with relegation each year then puts a couple wins together and stutters to a mid to lower finish?

Mediocre.

31 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Year upon year West Ham are shocking.

I think they do awful business personally and for very little reward.

Last three years are a prime example of this.

2017/18ย - ยฃ41m spent, ยฃ15m received, 13th place finish

2018/19 - ยฃ90m spent,ย ยฃ12m received, 10th place finish

2019/20 - ยฃ103m spent, ยฃ34m received, 16th place currently

ยฃ235m invested in 3 years, roughly ยฃ60m back and for what? A team that flirts with relegation each year then puts a couple wins together and stutters to a mid to lower finish?

Mediocre.

that west ham way, blood

Iโ€™m not having Wolves. Their recruitment isnโ€™t all that. Itโ€™s hardly a thorough scouting network, is it? Itโ€™s, largely,ย clients of one agent. Whoever Mendes uses to scout these players though, they deserve credit.ย 

You canโ€™t look beyond Leicester as the best, for me. Consistently quality players without ever really breaking the bank, despite changes to staff in that area of the club. The ยฃ30m for Ayoze Perez was one I looked at with a bit of surprise, I didnโ€™t really think he was worth that but heโ€™s since been involved in 11 goals in 25 Premier League games.ย 

Worst is Arsenal. I think itโ€™s easy to have a dig at West Ham on here, they as a club make it easy but Iโ€™m not convinced their recruitment is as bad as others, especially Arsenalโ€™s.ย 

ย 

On 22/04/2020 at 02:52, Deco said:

Premier League - For best I'd probably have to say Wolves, with Leicester a close second. They're always shrewd and show you don't have to spend big to land the talent. Bournemouth are without a doubt the worst; imagine spending ยฃ22m for Dominic Solanke. Their squad doesn't look too different from their first season in the Prem either and it's been five years since they came up. A big zero. Having said that, I'd also factor in Southampton for selling all of their prospects to larger teams and then riding on the same formula of Ryan Bertrand and the occasional decent signing like Moussa Djenepo.

Ligue 1 - I can't really think of a stand-out team in this one-horse race... for worst I'd say Monaco. They produce some true talents of the game, pose a threat to PSG's supremacy and then sell big and don't reinvest adequately in replacements, struggling to escape the relegation for the most part.

Bundesliga - For best you've got to look at RB Leipzig. I can't fault any of their transfers and they haven't spent too much either. For worst it's Eintracht Frankfurt. Imagine raking in a hundred million Euros from two players and reinvesting it in an aging Kevin Trapp and Bas Dost. I'm sorry but that's almost cardinal.

Serie A - There are too many candidates for the best but only one for worst: AC Milan. Their days of supremacy are clearly over for now and at the rate they're going compared to Inter they won't see a Serie A title on their side of Milan for a few decades.

La Liga - For best I'd have to say Villarreal. They don't spend often and when they do they're guaranteed to hit a player exceeding his price tag. For worst I'd say Celta Vigo. It's as though they don't actually like being in the top-flight. Iago Aspas has, quite literally, saved them from relegation for the past two seasons and looks set to do it again should it resume. I understand that they might not be one of the richer clubs but their transfer policy is pretty much non-existent.

Bit far-fetched for an 29 year old keeper.

3 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Bit far-fetched for an 29 year old keeper.

Iย honestly thought he was older. Has he been injured this season, as I don't recall him playing too many games?

I'm not an expert but I will say the worst in La Liga is Barcelona without a doubt. For a club that achieved so much and settled on a philosophy, they seem to sign anyone these days. It's not hard to play for Barcelona these days. As I've said before, they haven't made a top signing since Suarez, with only Arthur and De Jong looking like they could become something.

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

I'm not an expert but I will say the worst in La Liga is Barcelona without a doubt. For a club that achieved so much and settled on a philosophy, they seem to sign anyone these days. It's not hard to play for Barcelona these days. As I've said before, they haven't made a top signing since Suarez, with only Arthur and De Jong looking like they could become something.

Coutinho could have beenย thatย player but don't think he ever settled properly there? He definitely has/had the talent to be a superstar like Suarez was following a move from Liverpool.

When did Ter Stegen sign? Before Suarez?

Just now, Stan said:

Coutinho could have beenย thatย player but don't think he ever settled properly there? He definitely has/had the talent to be a superstar like Suarez was following a move from Liverpool.

When did Ter Stegen sign? Before Suarez?

I forgot about Ter Stegen, but I think he was before or around the same time as Suarez. 2014 he joined. I agree on Coutinho, I've always been a fan.

• Subscriber

Ours has beenย better than Wolves. Wolves have had significant help in some of theirs from an agent link. I do think though Liverpool beat us both anyway - Liverpool have spent money but not absolutely top dollar and have produced a winning machine. Every single signing there seems to be spot on. Plenty that were criticised at the time (Mane and Salah both were) have turned out to be super signings.

Ours is very good although the summer appointment of Lee Congerton worries me. He's got a pitiful track record according to fans of just about everyone he's worked for. I'm hoping he effectively comes in just to keep what we already have in place running but the Vestergaard January bid worries me slightly. Got to say summer 2018 was a belter from us. Maddison, Ricardo, Evans & Soyuncu all picked up for about ยฃ60mil in total. That's excellent business in todays market.

I think the worst has to be someone like West Ham. Consistently spend a lot. Consistently forced to repeat the trick because they got it wrong. What baffles me about West Ham is they actually sign, on paper, a lot of quite good players. Fornals and Haller both struck me as very good signings and yet they're just a bad team. There's something bizarrely wrong at that club.

• Subscriber

Bournemouth I nearly said as one of the worst too. They frequently pay ยฃ20mil+ for players they have absolutely no use to their club at this level like Solanke and Ibe. The problem in doing that is you're helping your competition.

Everton have had some shockers over the years as well.

For good recruitment abroad, Lille and Leipzig both interest me.

• Subscriber

In Spain... without knowing the details I'd be inclined to give some big credit to Getafe and Real Sociedad. Getafe being where they are given their budget is an absolute joke.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Dan said:

ย 

Was just about to say. Lose Lukaku and don't sign a proper striker but instead go for several attacking midfielders. Odd.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Stan said:

Was just about to say. Lose Lukaku and don't sign a proper striker but instead go for several attacking midfielders. Odd.

I think that's a big thing when people discuss this - recruitment isn't necessarily just signing good or bad players, it's about how you pieced those players together. That Everton summer of 2017 was astonishingly bad. It's beyond me how they could get it so wrong with an obvious imbalance. I think most people on here could've done better. That's kind of what I get at with West Ham too. I'm convinced if Fornals had come to us, or Haller had gone to Wolves, they would be considered a lot better than they are right now.

20 minutes ago, Dan said:

Bournemouth I nearly said as one of the worst too. They frequently pay ยฃ20mil+ for players they have absolutely no use to their club at this level like Solanke and Ibe. The problem in doing that is you're helping your competition.

For good recruitment abroad, Lille and Leipzig both interest me.

I brown nose them a lot but Burnley need to be considered as one of the better recruitment set ups considering budget they operate on

• Subscriber
53 minutes ago, Danny said:

I brown nose them a lot but Burnley need to be considered as one of the better recruitment set ups considering budget they operate on

I haven't noticed you doing this to be honest xD but yes I agree. They're a very well run club I think. They spend relatively little and survive comfortably. What I like about Burnley is they have an identity and keep sticking by it. I just wonder how you ever take the next step with them.

Weirdly though I think their record signing barely gets a kick.

Archived