talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Photography Thread

football forum

• Subscriber
17 hours ago, nudge said:

The new Canon EOS R5 is expected to be quite an ambitious camera overall, but this just blew my mind.

It has Animal Eye Autofocus... and it's bloody impressive...

If only they weren't so expensive but I suppose someone has to bear the brunt of R+D. What I liked the most about that sensor and how it tracks eye movement was that when you look at the Hyena tracking it does it in extremely low light and then it tracks it with frame stutter to allow point shots. I suppose facial tracking is easy but tracking with that kind of light intensity is very very impressive. Might have to go to a store when I get the chance and try this one out its supposedly shipping end of this month?

Edited by Mel81x

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

If only they weren't so expensive but I suppose someone has to bear the brunt of R+D. What I liked the most about that sensor and how it tracks eye movement was that when you look at the Hyena tracking it does it in extremely low light and then it tracks it with frame stutter to allow point shots. I suppose facial tracking is easy but tracking with that kind of light intensity is very very impressive. Might have to go to a store when I get the chance and try this one out its supposedly shipping end of this month?

Nevermind the hyena, it's the lion that blew me away at the very start of the video... It's almost completely dark, and the AF still manages to get the eye, even before the lion emerges from the darkness - and that's with a f/5 aperture! Very impressive and completely game changing... 

I also love how it automatically focuses on the face/head and the body of the animal at the very instant it loses track of the eye, and when goes straight back to it once it's detected again. AF points selection on the Touchscreen as well as the joystick is nice. Also 12 fps using mechanical shutter and 20 fps using the electrical one is completely mental! 

Hope the technology will trickle down do the models not intended for pros too... 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, nudge said:

Nevermind the hyena, it's the lion that blew me away at the very start of the video... It's almost completely dark, and the AF still manages to get the eye, even before the lion emerges from the darkness - and that's with a f/5 aperture! Very impressive and completely game changing... 

I also love how it automatically focuses on the face/head and the body of the animal at the very instant it loses track of the eye, and when goes straight back to it once it's detected again. AF points selection on the Touchscreen as well as the joystick is nice. Also 12 fps using mechanical shutter and 20 fps using the electrical one is completely mental! 

Hope the technology will trickle down do the models not intended for pros too... 

I think that's the idea eventually, it is way too impressive to not let it trickle down to lower models. When that is, however, is a whole different question. I imagine it comes to the mid-high ranges first then to everything else. The spec sheet for the new sensor and the AF point system is also very impressive. 

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I think that's the idea eventually, it is way too impressive to not let it trickle down to lower models. When that is, however, is a whole different question. I imagine it comes to the mid-high ranges first then to everything else. The spec sheet for the new sensor and the AF point system is also very impressive. 

Yeah, they will have to, especially considering that Sony already has the technology on both their higher range and mid range cameras; A6400 for example costs less than a 1000€, and while it's not a full frame camera like R5/R6 and most of the specs are understandably way behind the new Canon models, it still boasts a better AF acquisition speed which is very impressive (0.02s compared to Canon's 0.05)... That's why I love competition, it makes high end technological innovations accessible and affordable for a regular user pretty soon after they hit the market... 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, nudge said:

Yeah, they will have to, especially considering that Sony already has the technology on both their higher range and mid range cameras; A6400 for example costs less than a 1000€, and while it's not a full frame camera like R5/R6 and most of the specs are understandably way behind the new Canon models, it still boasts a better AF acquisition speed which is very impressive (0.02s compared to Canon's 0.05)... That's why I love competition, it makes high end technological innovations accessible and affordable for a regular user pretty soon after they hit the market... 

This is pretty much why I hate it when you have one product in a space catering to a community that has a requirement for integration into their workflows. Sure, the example states a minuscule difference in acquisition speeds but the kicker is the price and this is where Canon have never really backed down. Granted they've let third parties do most of that legwork for them by building addons and products which they can then use with their core base but at the end of the day this is good for the consumer.

I can't wait to see what the other quiet competitor in this space Nikon does now.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Mpache said:

A few snaps I took on a hike yesterday around Algonquin.

115786728_2225541420926030_3440924883013240913_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=4gyTK6HRY98AX9-QJVd&_nc_ht=scontent.fyto1-2.fna&oh=877a1db72ff4d3ca499cb9e107414471&oe=5F48238E

Wait, you took a picture of you taking a picture :o

That's some inception shit right there.

(nice photos, 2nd one is my favourite) 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mpache said:

A few snaps I took on a hike yesterday around Algonquin.

114072902_2225541750925997_5216528464564798714_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=EopV7VSX77QAX8zQJS6&_nc_ht=scontent.fyto1-1.fna&_nc_tp=6&oh=5e025c9220f7f2fb2a8fa27fd010c724&oe=5F45DC9B

116355950_2225541634259342_4914035841100373761_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=DJrP26Q_HGUAX9uek3w&_nc_ht=scontent.fyto1-2.fna&oh=12b6c3c535f6c4c71ff8b4574523f1ce&oe=5F4559F6\

115805303_2225541357592703_2104058507518928129_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=SdctY9Ax_tEAX82YKLe&_nc_ht=scontent.fyto1-2.fna&oh=e03b61a25cfeee2c64c949a57456c3b0&oe=5F47A4F7

115786728_2225541420926030_3440924883013240913_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=4gyTK6HRY98AX9-QJVd&_nc_ht=scontent.fyto1-2.fna&oh=877a1db72ff4d3ca499cb9e107414471&oe=5F48238E

116418721_2225541530926019_5418609466161223236_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=z7i7M3U3nkEAX-uQ2VK&_nc_ht=scontent.fyto1-2.fna&oh=8d9e7f5698ae99001e204709529ebe54&oe=5F46EA8E

Have you been to Bamf? 

If you look photos, you are in a great part of the world, although I would highly recommend a visit to Teton or Zion, absolutely stunning. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Eco said:

Have you been to Bamf

If you look photos, you are in a great part of the world, although I would highly recommend a visit to Teton or Zion, absolutely stunning. 

Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge?

38 minutes ago, Eco said:

Have you been to Bamf? 

I have not, nor Alberta. I would love to go. The west part of Canada is stunning. All of it, I've only been to BC once and I fell in love with the landscape.

• Subscriber
  • Subscriber
13 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Adaptability and diversification is the key to business success and sustainability; great stuff by Kodak...I believe they were already selling industrial chemicals for quite a while, getting into pharmaceuticals is certainly going to be huge for them. (Don't stop making film though, thank you).

• Subscriber

Also while we're on Kodak, this is a very interesting read: https://www.businessinsider.com/this-man-invented-the-digital-camera-in-1975-and-his-bosses-at-kodak-never-let-it-see-the-light-of-day-2015-8

Kodak employee Steven Sasson was the first one to invent a digital camera... in 1975. They developed it further into what became the first ever DSLR in 1989, only for Kodak to reject it because they were afraid it would affect their film sales negatively.

He started with this prototype in 1975:

20150811-lens-sasson-slide-QS7V-superJum

...and turned it into this in 1989:

20150811-lens-sasson-1-blog480.jpg

It had a 1.2 megapixel sensor, and used image compression and memory cards.

Just imagine if the bosses at Kodak had embraced the idea and new technology at that time...instead of getting into the market way too late and bankrupting in 2012. A lot of missed opportunities there.

@Mel81x

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
30 minutes ago, nudge said:

Also while we're on Kodak, this is a very interesting read: https://www.businessinsider.com/this-man-invented-the-digital-camera-in-1975-and-his-bosses-at-kodak-never-let-it-see-the-light-of-day-2015-8

Kodak employee Steven Sasson was the first one to invent a digital camera... in 1975. They developed it further into what became the first ever DSLR in 1989, only for Kodak to reject it because they were afraid it would affect their film sales negatively.

He started with this prototype in 1975:

What a great read. I think so many factors are obscure to the big decision makers when it comes to taking risk. They were worried that their film business was at risk and fair play on that but I think Kodak was making so much money that they could have taken that risk. The other impeding factor would have been the commercial viability of that  tech to the common person because if you put it out then you have to maintain it and maybe the surrounding tech was not ready. Still, missed opportunity and they may have been in a very different position today because of it.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Mel81x said:

What a great read. I think so many factors are obscure to the big decision makers when it comes to taking risk. They were worried that their film business was at risk and fair play on that but I think Kodak was making so much money that they could have taken that risk. The other impeding factor would have been the commercial viability of that  tech to the common person because if you put it out then you have to maintain it and maybe the surrounding tech was not ready. Still, missed opportunity and they may have been in a very different position today because of it.

There's another great (and long) read on PetaPixel, a very well researched analysis on why Fuji survived and thrived while Kodak died a slow but sure death. In short, it was lack of diversification and failure to adapt its business models to the changing market, but the article goes deep into it. One of the best pieces I have ever read on the topic, give it a go when you have some spare time... 

https://petapixel.com/2018/10/19/why-kodak-died-and-fujifilm-thrived-a-tale-of-two-film-companies/

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
25 minutes ago, nudge said:

This is so cool! :D 

Apparently, you can also do it with beer... I checked their website, and the results are pretty cool.

I liked the final results in the scanner. Seemed to be under-exposed a bit with the bright light shots but then it seemed totally fine with the more closer ones. 

His coffee videos and takes on different types of coffee are very good imo. The amount of detail he goes into and how he explains the brewing/prep process are what I like the most about his videos.

Edited by Mel81x
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
19 hours ago, Mel81x said:

I liked the final results in the scanner. Seemed to be under-exposed a bit with the bright light shots but then it seemed totally fine with the more closer ones. 

His coffee videos and takes on different types of coffee are very good imo. The amount of detail he goes into and how he explains the brewing/prep process are what I like the most about his videos.

I think I'm going to try it with my next B&W roll...just need to get some fixer. I'm very intrigued, and it's appealing not to have to deal with harsher chemicals. I'm also reading that if used to develop colour negatives, it gives them a sepia tone. Pretty cool too...

I'm loving this sample:

tree_2-745x745.jpg.optimal.jpg

More here, the portraits look fantastic too... https://www.diyphotography.net/caffenol-processing-film-coffee-supermarket-ingredients/

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Have a very specific requirement and maybe I am looking for it all wrong but I am looking for a boom-arm that supports a 1/4 screw that can extend out onto a table for a camera (classic/mobile) to do some video work for a project. Anyone have any ideas what I should be looking for specifically? It's kind of like a mic boom-arm but it would allow the video capture device to shift over the table and attaching a gimbal for X-axis rotation or Y/Z if required. I am coming up blank in a lot of places.

• Subscriber
47 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Have a very specific requirement and maybe I am looking for it all wrong but I am looking for a boom-arm that supports a 1/4 screw that can extend out onto a table for a camera (classic/mobile) to do some video work for a project. Anyone have any ideas what I should be looking for specifically? It's kind of like a mic boom-arm but it would allow the video capture device to shift over the table and attaching a gimbal for X-axis rotation or Y/Z if required. I am coming up blank in a lot of places.

Not sure I understand this correctly, but woudn't a tripod with a horizontal arm extension and a 360° ballhead do the job?