talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Photography Thread

football forum

10 minutes ago, nudge said:

The pictures don't do it justice... the actual view is breathtaking.

I can imagine... I used to try and take pictures of the moon on clear nights in the garden with my phone but they always came out poor compared to how clear and bright it was just looking straight at it

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

I can imagine... I used to try and take pictures of the moon on clear nights in the garden with my phone but they always came out poor compared to how clear and bright it was just looking straight at it

Taking decent  moon pictures with a smartphone is nearly impossible, you usually end up with a tiny bright blob...If it has manual controls then you can play around with them, reducing exposure, etc for better results, but it will still be disappointing and won't show any detail. I have taken some decent moon shots with a DSLR, and even then it can be quite tricky as the moon is so bright it fools the lightmeter into trying to average out the bright celestial body with the dark sky, so you end up with overexposed shots again. A tripod, a telephoto lens (at least 200-300mm) is a must, and then finding the right exposure is key. Simple exposure compensation of at least two steps back might work, but I always got best results with spot metering and focusing on the brightest spot on the moon so the exposure goes down to around 1/125s minimum. 

I know those detaisl probably do not interest you at all, but I love talking about it xD 

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, nudge said:

Taking decent  moon pictures with a smartphone is nearly impossible, you usually end up with a tiny bright blob...If it has manual controls then you can play around with them, reducing exposure, etc for better results, but it will still be disappointing and won't show any detail. I have taken some decent moon shots with a DSLR, and even then it can be quite tricky as the moon is so bright it fools the lightmeter into trying to average out the bright celestial body with the dark sky, so you end up with overexposed shots again. A tripod, a telephoto lens (at least 200-300mm) is a must, and then finding the right exposure is key. Simple exposure compensation of at least two steps back might work, but I always got best results with spot metering and focusing on the brightest spot on the moon so the exposure goes down to around 1/125s minimum. 

I know those detaisl probably do not interest you at all, but I love talking about it xD 

I enjoy reading all the details but I won't lie I doubt I would have the time to invest in such a hobby to the degree you do... I tend to point and click with my phone, look at the results and think " Well that turned out shit" then delete it... xD I have seriously thought about getting a telescope though but reckon I would have to tell the missus I got it to spy on the neighbours because I don't think she would believe I got it to look at the moon and night sky in more detail.. xD

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
15 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Took a mosey down to Portland Bill for a few shots earlier, bloody freezing but a good day to take a photo or two.

20201119_172219.thumb.jpg.356095be78c66a7145e0eca9189cf91f.jpg

The 'other half' I would gather? she looks frozen like you too. :D

Edited by CaaC (John)

• Subscriber
12 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

The 'other half' I would gather? she looks frozen like you too. :D

10 hours ago, Lucas said:

It was baltic to be fair. Her nipples could have cut glass apparently xD

Took these photos in 2013, on top of Arthur's Seat here in Edinburgh, that's my other half looking far and yonder on top of the seat, I went there to scatter some ashes for a friend of mine in America who's father died and he always said he wanted his ashes scattered on top of the seat when he died as he was born in Edinburgh, Scotland, so my mate sent me the urn with his ashes and I climbed on top of the seat and scattered the ashes, my mate in America appreciated that and I sent the urn back to America empty with his ashes blowing in the wind on top of Arthurs Seat.

Liz.thumb.jpg.5c44e59119535c6a2568a0d4993f22c1.jpg

Us.thumb.jpg.9570964470f833c3e8492db7f8b1a628.jpg

1074619_10151803558422323_1355480235_o.thumb.jpg.f456290ab62f76376601d592952fba1e.jpg

Edited by CaaC (John)
Amend date
  • Upvote 2

• Administrator

Went to a place called Swinley Forest yesterday. Just south of Bracknell. Huge vast array of land with walking routes. Barely covered it even though we walked around for a good two hours. 

IMG_20201121_125954.jpg

IMG_20201121_125028.jpg

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Nothing special but I took these last night on my usual running spot and where I go to clear my head. 

It’s on Leeds and Liverpool canal, which covers at least 100 miles I believe. It’s only about a 5 minute walk from my house for me to get on it.

Z5DmeIY.jpg

yhd4pmx.jpg

yvrTBWP.jpg

vsESRfi.jpg

ia8SACK.jpg

Edited by JoshBRFC
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
36 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

Nothing special but I took these last night on my usual running spot and where I go to clear my head. 

It’s on Leeds and Liverpool canal, which covers at least 100 miles I believe. It’s only about a 5 minute walk from my house for me to get on it.

Z5DmeIY.jpg

yhd4pmx.jpg

yvrTBWP.jpg

vsESRfi.jpg

ia8SACK.jpg

Yeah it's over 100 miles. I live in Leeds and only managed about 2 miles of it so far but it's a really nice walk.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

I've decided it's time to move on from my Canon 600D. So now I'm going to start scouting out other cameras and see what takes my fancy. Still self teaching myself so want to try and rely less on the automatic settings.

• Subscriber
40 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

I've decided it's time to move on from my Canon 600D. So now I'm going to start scouting out other cameras and see what takes my fancy. Still self teaching myself so want to try and rely less on the automatic settings.

Staying with Canon or are you considering switching system?