talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Photography Thread

football forum

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Lucas said:

A couple from yesterday's walk

IMG_20200626_105416_378.thumb.jpg.1554af5774193ecf829e1baf9a76e235.jpgIMG_20200626_105447_408.thumb.jpg.9207c1a574378b2020b465cbbbaed1a4.jpg

I love a walk in a forest, did a lot of bushwalking in Australia when I was growing up but nothing like above, beautiful shots, the best of the best for me was in my army days on exercise in the Black Forrest South-West Germany.

black-forest-landscape.jpg

black-forest-in-Germany-1.jpg

Yeah, can't beat a good forest walk.

Just got back now actually from one. We walked more of a countryside route today and took a picnic to have down by a stream. Didn't really take many, apart from this one.

IMG_20200626_171909_618.thumb.jpg.1d3d1da889290fc54932fb70923f87de.jpg

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
On 24/06/2020 at 21:22, nudge said:

Olympus have announced that they will be quitting camera business after 84 years :( 

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-53165293

Very sad news. 

Gutting! My first digital camera was an Olympus and I loved it.

12 minutes ago, nudge said:

My new baby just arrived :x

IMG_20200629_155621_1-01.jpeg

IMG_20200629_155652-01.jpeg

Pretty!

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

39 years old, yet in an absolutely mint condition. Loaded a film and tried a few shots, everything works like a charm... The lens feels very good, the focusing ring is smooth, the aperture ring too, the shutter is very silent. Yet to test the automatic winder and the external angle finder. 

Now waiting for other two lenses to arrive, as this 35-70mm one came with the camera, so I ordered two additional primes (50mm/1.4 and 135mm/2.8). Also ordered a shoulder strap and a shitload of film, haha. Was positively surprised with the variety of film still available, got me some Kodak and Fuji rolls, and a few different sorts of Ilford for B&W. 

Best birthday present ever 😊

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, nudge said:

Now waiting for other two lenses to arrive, as this 35-70mm one came with the camera, so I ordered two additional primes (50mm/1.4 and 135mm/2.8). Also ordered a shoulder strap and a shitload of film, haha. Was positively surprised with the variety of film still available, got me some Kodak and Fuji rolls, and a few different sorts of Ilford for B&W. 

Firstly, belated birthday wishes and secondly I'd be very curious to see the output of that lens with the body and mechanics as well. 

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, nudge said:

39 years old, yet in an absolutely mint condition. Loaded a film and tried a few shots, everything works like a charm... The lens feels very good, the focusing ring is smooth, the aperture ring too, the shutter is very silent. Yet to test the automatic winder and the external angle finder. 

Best birthday present ever 😊

Alright, no need to brag. This isn't a dating site. 

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Firstly, belated birthday wishes and secondly I'd be very curious to see the output of that lens with the body and mechanics as well. 

Haha, it's actually an early birthday present, but thanks anyway 😂 

Yeah, I'm very eager to see the results, too. Will bring it to the lab once the roll is finished and ask them to scan the negative along with prints.

• Subscriber

The films have finally arrived... That should last me for a while, haha. ☺️

IMG_20200701_164054-01.thumb.jpeg.6479497201b5a55c816b8e0d13ff1f2e.jpeg

If there are no faults with the camera (light leaks, etc), I will probably start developing the films by myself again. The final goal is to set up a darkroom at home in the future, but it will depend on the space I have and equipment I can get my hands on for reasonable price... 

Those two days shooting film have brought me more joy than last few years shooting digital, and I only took 6 shots so far 😂

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, nudge said:

The films have finally arrived... That should last me for a while, haha. ☺️

IMG_20200701_164054-01.thumb.jpeg.6479497201b5a55c816b8e0d13ff1f2e.jpeg

If there are no faults with the camera (light leaks, etc), I will probably start developing the films by myself again. The final goal is to set up a darkroom at home in the future, but it will depend on the space I have and equipment I can get my hands on for reasonable price... 

Those two days shooting film have brought me more joy than last few years shooting digital, and I only took 6 shots so far 😂

How much did the ILFORD set you back? I miss that kind of film and I also miss shooting in Sepia.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Mel81x said:

How much did the ILFORD set you back? I miss that kind of film and I also miss shooting in Sepia.

Just over 6€ for a roll. I got the XP2 in particular, as it can be developed in C-41 processing, so any lab should be able to do it. It's not a traditional silver gelatin B&W film (it's actually chromogenic), but it makes things easier and I heard it scans beautifully... Ilford still makes plenty of film, some great choices for affordable prices there. 

Now you got me curious - did you shoot in sepia with film??? I know it traditionally used to be done as the final step in processing by soaking the prints in a sepia toning bath, but I've also been hearing rumors about actual sepia toned film for years, haha! Never ever came across it myself, so just assumed it's one of those urban legends, lol. 

• Subscriber
31 minutes ago, nudge said:

Just over 6€ for a roll. I got the XP2 in particular, as it can be developed in C-41 processing, so any lab should be able to do it. It's not a traditional silver gelatin B&W film (it's actually chromogenic), but it makes things easier and I heard it scans beautifully... Ilford still makes plenty of film, some great choices for affordable prices there. 

Now you got me curious - did you shoot in sepia with film??? I know it traditionally used to be done as the final step in processing by soaking the prints in a sepia toning bath, but I've also been hearing rumors about actual sepia toned film for years, haha! Never ever came across it myself, so just assumed it's one of those urban legends, lol. 

Yep used two formats. The 110 which was the cartridge I used with my dad's Minolta years ago in B/W and then get them processed in Sepia. I was obsessed with that color format for years and I like B/W shots more than color anyways. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/110_film

When I was much younger I remember buying a film block that said develop in Sepia and I am now struggling to remember whether it was Fuji or Kodak who sold it but I have some prints somewhere in my house from that time. My guess is that they were just developed in Sepia vs being actual tone sepia but I will never know as back then you'd just use the film and then chuck it. 

Now I am wondering if I used something like this but I remember it said Sepia and that when I bought it I was just excited to see the final results. Totally different film in the link btw.

https://shop.lomography.com/en/lomography-redscale-xr-50200-120-3-pack?country=in

Edited by Mel81x

• Subscriber
35 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Yep used two formats. The 110 which was the cartridge I used with my dad's Minolta years ago in B/W and then get them processed in Sepia. I was obsessed with that color format for years and I like B/W shots more than color anyways. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/110_film

When I was much younger I remember buying a film block that said develop in Sepia and I am now struggling to remember whether it was Fuji or Kodak who sold it but I have some prints somewhere in my house from that time. My guess is that they were just developed in Sepia vs being actual tone sepia but I will never know as back then you'd just use the film and then chuck it. 

Now I am wondering if I used something like this but I remember it said Sepia and that when I bought it I was just excited to see the final results. Totally different film in the link btw.

https://shop.lomography.com/en/lomography-redscale-xr-50200-120-3-pack?country=in

Lomography does make some funky emulsions, so it's a good call. The search for the elusive sepia film still continues though, hehe. The only potential lead that a quick search provided was someone on a photography forum claiming they used to see Fuji Sepia chromogenic film rolls on sale in Japan during the 90s, that's all I've got though! 

Another option (bar post processing sepia baths) is to use a sepia filter on the lens while shooting a colour negative film. Like this Hoya one: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/155633-REG/Hoya_S58SEPA_58_mm_Sepia_A.html. Would like to give it a go, if only to see how it turns out. 

And I agree with B&W being preferable to colour. My only "problem" with it is the fact that I seem to get the urge to shoot nudes whenever I have a B&W film loaded into the camera 😂 

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, nudge said:

Lomography does make some funky emulsions, so it's a good call. The search for the elusive sepia film still continues though, hehe. The only potential lead that a quick search provided was someone on a photography forum claiming they used to see Fuji Sepia chromogenic film rolls on sale in Japan during the 90s, that's all I've got though! 

Another option (bar post processing sepia baths) is to use a sepia filter on the lens while shooting a colour negative film. Like this Hoya one: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/155633-REG/Hoya_S58SEPA_58_mm_Sepia_A.html. Would like to give it a go, if only to see how it turns out. 

And I agree with B&W being preferable to colour. My only "problem" with it is the fact that I seem to get the urge to shoot nudes whenever I have a B&W film loaded into the camera 😂 

Couple of things with this post.

1. The film I got was Japanese so its quite possible I did get what you mentioned in point 1. I only say this because most stuff was imported in the UAE and man did we ever get some weird stuff in boxes you didnt truly understand because they'd have writing on there, name of the company and then a colour bar and thats its.
  2. Why use a filter when you're going to setup a dark room? You can use post processing to sort it all out right?
  3. As for nudes, I agree. The human form is probably the best for B/W photography as it makes everything pop so much better haha. Also, you're about to get a lot of replies to this one post :) and Im sure it wont all be photography lol
Edited by Mel81x
  • Haha 1

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Couple of things with this post.

1. The film I got was Japanese so its quite possible I did get what you mentioned in point 1. I only say this because most stuff was imported in the UAE and man did we ever get some weird stuff in boxes you didnt truly understand because they'd have writing on there, name of the company and then a colour bar and thats its.
  2. Why use a filter when you're going to setup a dark room? You can use post processing to sort it all out right?
  3. As for nudes, I agree. The human form is probably the best for B/W photography as it makes everything pop so much better haha. Also, you're about to get a lot of replies to this one post :) and Im sure it wont all be photography lol
  1. Yeah, I thought it could have been that one! Will do more research later, hopefully can find some old pic of the package or something, hehe.
  2. Mainly out of curiosity. I've used filters in the past, but only the UV, ND and polarising ones, mostly. But also because it will definitely take a long while until I'm able to get the darkroom all set up... Depends on when I am able to fly back, find a suitable place, get all the equipment and chemicals. Developing process is easy and can be done anywhere without a dedicated darkroom, it's the prints that are problematic. I've been looking at enlargers online, Fotoimpex seem to have some good amateur ones for around 300€, but it's out of stock at the moment, while the more advanced ones are starting at about 1000€... and even then, I'll need to somehow figure out the logistics of transporting it. 
  3. Haha, I'm not worried, given that there are only a few of us reading this thread anyway xD 
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, nudge said:
  1. Yeah, I thought it could have been that one! Will do more research later, hopefully can find some old pic of the package or something, hehe.
  2. Mainly out of curiosity. I've used filters in the past, but only the UV, ND and polarising ones, mostly. But also because it will definitely take a long while until I'm able to get the darkroom all set up... Depends on when I am able to fly back, find a suitable place, get all the equipment and chemicals. Developing process is easy and can be done anywhere without a dedicated darkroom, it's the prints that are problematic. I've been looking at enlargers online, Fotoimpex seem to have some good amateur ones for around 300€, but it's out of stock at the moment, while the more advanced ones are starting at about 1000€... and even then, I'll need to somehow figure out the logistics of transporting it. 
  3. Haha, I'm not worried, given that there are only a few of us reading this thread anyway xD 

I'll ask my dad to see if he has any stuff from that time with him, the old man keeps a lot of keepsakes from that era so I might actually have a roll cover or something else. As for importing stuff, be careful, I have a device on order that we dont get over here and they've called me twice in the last two weeks telling me that they are having customs issues then they say no customs issues then they have them again. I wish corruption would make up its mind and just give me a number to pay.

• Sad 1

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I'll ask my dad to see if he has any stuff from that time with him, the old man keeps a lot of keepsakes from that era so I might actually have a roll cover or something else. As for importing stuff, be careful, I have a device on order that we dont get over here and they've called me twice in the last two weeks telling me that they are having customs issues then they say no customs issues then they have them again. I wish corruption would make up its mind and just give me a number to pay.

Yeah, that was already an issue for me in the past. Wanted to get two simple DSLRs in from a European shop, the customs wanted to charge me almost 300% of their worth as a custom tax. So I just had a friend bring them to me when he came for a visit instead and avoided any fees that way, but that's beyond ridiculous. So I'll definitely need to think this through... 

And yes, please share if you're able to find anything in your dad's stash, hehe!

• Upvote 1