talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Photography Thread

football forum

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.ec55892dfb6be54489fc78e5620c8011.png

The Grassmarket, Edinburgh, Then & Now. The merged image shows the past & present and the changes to the area from the horse-drawn carts to the modern car.
The image has been taken from our "Know Where You Walk Edinburgh"

106741667_713694909463798_44627899374818

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.f3cb16343039e1f20ecbf610e851047c.png

246822493_download(2).thumb.png.228f5341edf4624b070687629eaded7e.png

A photographer stands all alone in the desert.

Racing toward him is Bruce Springsteen in a convertible — and the deep darkness of a massive thunderstorm.

The towering cumulonimbus cloud darkens the sky to a piercing black. A cloud of dust trails behind Springsteen’s car, which is lit by the little remaining light.

"Soon it began to rain as flashes of lightning filled the valley,” photographer Eric Meola wrote in his new book “Fierce Beauty: Storms of the Great Plains.” “The hypnotic scene etched itself into our eyes and minds, and a few days later Bruce wrote the lyrics to a song called 'The Promised Land.’ ”

02.jpg

The song goes:

“There’s a dark cloud rising from the desert floor
I packed my bags and I’m heading straight into the storm
Gonna be a twister to blow everything down
That ain’t got the faith to stand its ground.”

One of the photos from that day eventually became the cover photo for Springsteen’s album “The Promise.”

“It was great to be out in a convertible, racing the storm with the guy who wrote the song ‘Thunder Road,’ ” the photographer told CNN. “How do you top that for a desert road trip in America?”

That was 1977.

MORE PHOTOS and FULL REPORT

Edited by CaaC (John)
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
On 03/07/2020 at 16:16, CaaC (John) said:

Quote.thumb.png.ec55892dfb6be54489fc78e5620c8011.png

The Grassmarket, Edinburgh, Then & Now. The merged image shows the past & present and the changes to the area from the horse-drawn carts to the modern car.
The image has been taken from our "Know Where You Walk Edinburgh"

106741667_713694909463798_44627899374818

I want to try and do some of those types of images. I've digitised some of my Grandma's old slides so going to go out at some point and take some modern versions of the same images and combine them.

On 19/07/2020 at 13:01, Takezo said:

Some things I shot these last two years on my spare time.

1BmTRzb.jpg

p0TRxGS.jpg

JQrAefW.jpg

ZGkvGN4.jpg

qKL27nK.jpg

UGr2zZ0.jpg

kSh5tDi.jpg

BbNCbev.jpg

cCoBna8.jpg

tTVp9a4.jpg

ATxS34L.jpg

8UgRmSk.jpg

8k1Ag8b.jpg

G8oIXDR.jpg

I'm no pro, it is what it is. 

These are really good! Would love to see more. Do you post your photos anywhere?

21 hours ago, nudge said:

Went to a botanic garden and found a glass bowl with water and flower petals in it, so played around with the colors and reflections a little bit... 

DSC03361-01-01.thumb.jpeg.f80fe6b0de7c4aab393c71eaa05cbf34.jpeg

DSC03364-01.thumb.jpeg.4fb6d2ceebab0c5dcd1f2d59e7dc7345.jpeg

Nice! I like it.

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber

So...brought the first test rolls of the "new" camera to get developed. Asked specifically if they do prints directly from the film (as opposed to scanning them with a shitty scanner first), was assured they do. Ordered both prints and scans to compare. Got a text that it's done today, was surprised as originally they told me it would take approx. 5 days, went to the store to pick it up... and it's bloody useless. Not only are they NOT directly printed from the film (which would be alright, as long as they scan and print it properly), they actually scanned it at a piss poor resolution and then printed them out, so what I ended up with is a bunch of 3MP lossy JPGs and horrible low resolution 10x15 prints from them xD I'm fucking fuming xD 

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

So...brought the first test rolls of the "new" camera to get developed. Asked specifically if they do prints directly from the film (as opposed to scanning them with a shitty scanner first), was assured they do. Ordered both prints and scans to compare. Got a text that it's done today, was surprised as originally they told me it would take approx. 5 days, went to the store to pick it up... and it's bloody useless. Not only are they NOT directly printed from the film (which would be alright, as long as they scan and print it properly), they actually scanned it at a piss poor resolution and then printed them out, so what I ended up with is a bunch of 3MP lossy JPGs and horrible low resolution 10x15 prints from them xD I'm fucking fuming xD 

It's true, she showed me one of a sunset one beautiful evening. Here it is.  

3VAtB.gif

• Haha 2

• Subscriber
23 minutes ago, Eco said:

It's true, she showed me one of a sunset one beautiful evening. Here it is.  

3VAtB.gif

Not THAT bad xD but it really pissed me off. Not because they didn't do what I asked them to (I realise that film isn't very common anymore, so I understand that printing from film might be not possible) and not even because the scans/prints were poor, but first and foremost because they clearly don't know what they're doing, or more likely just couldn't be arsed to change the default setting on the scanner and wanted to get it done as soon as possible. And they had the guts to charge me 40€ for 2 rolls of film and their rushed, piss poor "work". Wankers.

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Not THAT bad xD but it really pissed me off. Not because they didn't do what I asked them to (I realise that film isn't very common anymore, so I understand that printing from film might be not possible) and not even because the scans/prints were poor, but first and foremost because they clearly don't know what they're doing, or more likely just couldn't be arsed to change the default setting on the scanner and wanted to get it done as soon as possible. And they had the guts to charge me 40€ for 2 rolls of film and their rushed, piss poor "work". Wankers.

Since it's such a passion of yours, ever researched do it yourself? 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Eco said:

Since it's such a passion of yours, ever researched do it yourself? 

I used to develop B&W films by myself at home in the past, yeah. Developing the films is not an issue in general, it's relatively simple. It's the printing part that's more complicated and requires a darkroom with specific tools and chemicals. This is indeed what I want to do in the future, but since it requires a dedicated place and all the equipment, it'll have to wait until I'm settled down in one place again.

1 minute ago, nudge said:

I used to develop B&W films by myself at home in the past, yeah. Developing the films is not an issue in general, it's relatively simple. It's the printing part that's more complicated and requires a darkroom with specific tools and chemicals. This is indeed what I want to do in the future, but since it requires a dedicated place and all the equipment, it'll have to wait until I'm settled down in one place again.

Yeah - well I thought they were called 'Red Rooms" (they aren't) since the lighting is red, so be careful when outfitting your place using inspiration from Google Images.  

246774195.jpg

Now I have to clear my cookies, cache, and history, scrub my laptop, and take a shower. 

• Haha 3

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Eco said:

Yeah - well I thought they were called 'Red Rooms" (they aren't) since the lighting is red, so be careful when outfitting your place using inspiration from Google Images.  

246774195.jpg

Now I have to clear my cookies, cache, and history, scrub my laptop, and take a shower. 

Play some Cigarettes After Sex in there and it's golden.