talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Should COMMEBOL and CONCACAF Merge?

football forum

Would make sure that only the best teams would qualify for the World Cup. Qualification system would have to dramatically change.

Would also make a better Copa America, and avoid having Japan or Qatar in it. It also would also effectively replace the Gold Cup, which has a lacking interest.

Would enable the Copa Libertadores to add teams from Mexico, America and elsewhere within North America.

Grow a bigger audience, expand your revenues and enable clubs from these regions to compete with some more European clubs.

Thoughts?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like we'd see the same teams qualifying for every tournament were this to happen. The Paraguays and the Ecuadors of the South would possibly manage it on the off-chance but it would make too much competition I feel. More countries to play, more fixtures to play and less players who could commit during their seasons. There are only so many international breaks unfortunately.

27 minutes ago, Deco said:

I feel like we'd see the same teams qualifying for every tournament were this to happen. The Paraguays and the Ecuadors of the South would possibly manage it on the off-chance but it would make too much competition I feel. More countries to play, more fixtures to play and less players who could commit during their seasons. There are only so many international breaks unfortunately.

Only Mexico would come close to qualifying from the North.

But it's pointless anyways because CONMEBOL is too prestigious to merge like that. Might as well merge UEFA with AFC as well since Europe is connected to Asia.

Wouldn't mind seeing the Copa America and gold cup combined but not sure if combining the qualifying world cup process would really benefit anyone. Possibly Mexico would benefit from the stronger opposition but they would probably miss a few world cups. 

5 minutes ago, Azeem said:

Only the Copa America and gold cup on the other hand i want a merger of Asia and Ocenia or at least a play offs between them for a spot in the inter continental play offs

That would make way more sense, especially when you consider Oceania used to qualify against Asian sides in the past before all these minnows joined.

8 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

That would make way more sense, especially when you consider Oceania used to qualify against Asian sides in the past before all these minnows joined.

I personally want to see more and competitive intercontinental playoffs, give spots to teams from Africa and even Europe along with Asia and Americas that would be very interesting.  

On 27/04/2020 at 21:23, Inti Brian said:

No.

Is it just the World Cup qualification you'd object to merging?

What are your thoughts on a permanent Copa America with the ten South American teams and six North American teams? Decided with the World Cup qualification system.

What about introducing North American teams into the Copa Libertadores? The competition is already saturated with Brazilian teams and would introduce some potentially massive markets to have the competition grow.

1 minute ago, RevFan said:

Is it just the World Cup qualification you'd object to merging?

What are your thoughts on a permanent Copa America with the ten South American teams and six North American teams? Decided with the World Cup qualification system.

What about introducing North American teams into the Copa Libertadores? The competition is already saturated with Brazilian teams and would introduce some potentially massive markets to have the competition grow.

Don't get me wrong, the 2016 Copa America with North American teams was lots of fun. For a lot of South Americans, America is just one continent. I don't want this though because CONMEBOL has too much history and prestige. It's true Guyana and Suriname don't see themselves as South American nations, but part of the reason they aren't in CONMEBOL I feel is because they just don't fit in.

I'm a bit selfish though so take it as you will.

Archived