Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

What Does It Mean to be a Big Club?

I for one am proud to support City, they are my club, the club I love with my life. If I could marry a club I'd marry City. I'd inivte all the first time and have the wedding at the Etihad with 55k in attendance and saying "i do" would be the proudest momemt of my life. But are City a big club? for me they are the biggest club in the world, it takes time to build a club, you don't just do it in a day. City built themselves up from the ground, they were in League One (then Division Two) when I started supporting them in 1999, I thought it would be impossible for us to even get back the to the next level, but that famous City grit came into action. two down? No problem, city have this and we scored two goals to send it to penalites which City won. These are the memories liefetimes are made of. Then we went straight back up the PL the following season but went straight back down. But it would be these relegations that would make the club, that would make the fans and team aquire a grit, a determination that would ultimately result in City overtaking everyone infront of them. City went straight back up and a few years later they bought Anelka in, a world class player who played for Arsenal a few years earlier but he was too big for them. City took him and loved him from the start, which is why City are his favourite team. We nutured him into the great player he became after at Chelsea.

But the future was always going to be brighter, City were taken over by Sheik Mansour and because the richest, best and most glamours club in football. City fans knew that all the struggles were gods way of testing us for the paradise he created later. The FA Cup SF 2011 was the key moment, United thought it was going to be an easy win for them but it wasn't. City beat them and showed the United lads what a big club is. That set up the last day of the season the following year with Aguero scoring a wondergoal after beaing set up by Ballotelli who Ferguson said would flop at City but he showed them. After that moment, it has been dreamland for City. We were the biggest club in the world when the goal flew in, Billions watched worldwide and saw a City team winning against the old enemy that had dominated the PL for years. It showed the end of the United dynasty at the top of the PL and has the biggest club in England, City had overtaken them and they'd done it in the style of greatness.

For me big clubs are define by their money, their class, their style. City have all these, we are a team that advocates greatness as a virtue. You score six, we score seven. The attack of fluidity, ambiance and skill showing no mercy to the defence. The defence playing the ball out and setting the midfield up who keep possesion and don't stop the opponets getting anywhere near. This is greatness my friends.

For me the biggest 8 clubs in England are City, Liverpool, United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Villa, Everton, Tottenham

1. City: I've explained it all. The biggest club in the world, most glamourous and most looked up to. The most succesful English team in modern football history.

2. Liverpool: six CL titles can not be ignored. They don't have the glamour of City but their European success is unrivaled that why they get 2nd spot

3. United: Even though they are a relic of their former selves and now far behind the likes of City and Liverpool, United have had success in the early PL years and mild success and Europe which is why they get into my top three.

4. Chelsea: They built quite a legacy in the mid 2000's and although I didn't like the way they did it, they should have won more CL titles to go along with their PL success.

5. Arsenal: Throughout history Arsenal have always been a big club despite their constant failures in Europe which puts them lower than Chelsea on this list. Wenger transformed them into a modern club and they were the major rival to United in the mid 2000's until Chelsea surpased them.

6. Villa: For me a European cup puts Villa in 6th above similar rivals. They've had a hard time recently and haven't achivhed much but their history is very impressive.

7. Everton: A grand old team as the saying goes. Everton are a very proud old club, despite always being the weakest of the four biggest clubs of the North-West, they always give you their money's worth and are up for a fight, even if they lose most of the time. Still, a good little club

8. Tottenham: Spurs lack of succes in the league puts them down further in this last than they could have been. They were in the doldrums for years until Harry Redknapp transformed them and got them back into the CL in 2010. They may well rise this list if they get more succes in Europe but right now they are bottom of my top 8.

Honourable mentions:

Nottingham Forest: Two Europan cups says it all, but their success in other periods of their histroy has been lacking, plus they've spent 20 years in the lower leagues. Only one league titles means they miss out on my top 8.

Newcastle: A proud club in the wilderness of the North-East. They have more fans than many clubs have but a lack of success, especially in the last 50 years means they miss out on my top 8.

Leeds: The team renowed for cheating in the 70's, they hit a decline but by the 90's-2000's were force to reackoned with and could have won a European Cup in 2001. The decline came after that and they were never the same again. Leeds for me are similar to Newcastle, big clubs but just not quite top 8 material.

For the size of club fully demostrates its standing in the game. A club the size of City with its glamour and power is the representation of football in England. The birthplace of football. When football was invnted, the first people to kick the ball dreamed of a club the size of City taking the game by storm and showing everyone why it is known as the beautiful game. And as a City fan, it honestly brings a tear to my eye, City are the frontrunners of the 21st century game.

Anyway, like I keep saying, it is a funny old game isn't it. So who's your top 8? Agree with mine? Disagree? Lets see if we can agree on something for once on here for once, lol.

The 4 biggest clubs in England imo are: Liverpool & United, those are the top 2 - you can put those in any order you like and there’s an argument (the winning argument is that Liverpool are better because United are a bunch of cunts). After that I’d probably put Arsenal because they’ve been good since before I was born and were really the only team that consistently fought with United after I was born. Then controversially, I’ll put Everton as the 4th biggest club - even though I think the club culture has sort of lost their big club mentality. They’ve got a storied history and a loyal and passionate fanbase.

But there’s a lot of clubs you could reasonably put in 4th over Everton. But imo, it’s history + fans that make a club a big club. Shite like that is why I think Leeds are a bigger club than most premier league clubs, even though they’ve not been in the top flight in a while.

I'd say support garnered through everything but success is the most important factor. History is up for the interpreter, and history does not equal trophies but stories.

It always comes back to money, even ol' Bill Shankly fucked off from Huddersfiled when they wouldn't cough up the dough for the players he wanted, and then he went and got those players for Liverpool, and look where they are now. It always comes back to capital, those that hustled the hardiest, negotiated raised funds, whatever.

The arguments of 'what a big club is' is nothing more than infantile measuring of an nonexistant penis and then bragging about the hypothetical vaginas it could fuck.

Imagine a club with zero European cups and only 6 league titles being the biggest club in England. 

• Thanks 1

I can’t believe I just sat and read that.

• Haha 2

Yeah I think big clubs need some level of history of sustained success, some level of relevance beyond the UK, some level of popularity and some level of respect from the football community.

Any team with a European cup is automatically in the conversation. Teams with high quantity of league title wins are in the conversation. Teams with massive local fanbases are in it.

City suffer from a lack of respect currently, which hurts their status as being seen as a serious club, but more importantly their own of European success hurts the most.

They are a big club but they'd be trailing Arsenal and Spurs and potentially others just on the size of their global fan base at least until they win a Champions league.

Didn't read the post as I only had to skim through the bold bits on the table to realise it wouldn't be worth it. Big club is generally a term that comes out from fans of under-achieving clubs as it's all they've got left.

City suffer because of their fan base being mostly bitter berties. The most successful period in their history and all they can do is talk about United and Liverpool. Rent free.

I’ve been to Maine Road and the Etihad more than this poster. Not hard when you’re still in primary school I suppose. And imagine thinking you’re a big club when your biggest European achievement is a solitary Cup Winners Cup in 1970 xD

Anyway, football is a funny old game isn’t it.

Basically, the first 3 paragraphs are unnecessary to the topic and just a massive City jizz-fest, unnecessary to the conversation at least not in as many words.

I like how there's the 'famous city grit' in 1999 but it's relegations a few years after that where you 'acquire a grit, determination' etc. So which is it? Do you have it already, or do you acquire it?

Also love how City apparently always score more than the opposition as if they've never ever lost a game xD 

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Dan said:

Didn't read the post as I only had to skim through the bold bits on the table to realise it wouldn't be worth it. Big club is generally a term that comes out from fans of under-achieving clubs as it's all they've got left.

Can tell you’ve spent time supporting a Championship football team xD My favourite is being called a small club/tinpot by fans of clubs that are also small and tinpot.

Personally Brentford fans see being small/tinpot as a mark of respect and who we are, bus stop in Hounslow, teams like Brentford, fucking Brentford etc etc etc they make for a good songbook and a bit of entertainment

City don’t even make a top ten. Hilarious first post. 

This is trolling on a whole new level. You've taken so much time to write that post! 

19 hours ago, CityTheBest said:

Newcastle: A proud club in the wilderness of the North-East. They have more fans than many clubs have but a lack of success, especially in the last 50 years means they miss out on my top 8.

It's only the last 50 years.

If you go back to 1960 only Aston Villa had won more trophies than Newcastle United.

Let that sink in.

Tutty, is that you?

Posted (edited)

Good effort but an Aldi version of @Happy Blue for me

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Rick said:

City don’t even make a top ten. Hilarious first post. 

We made the top ten even before the money arrived :coffee:

I love how people turn to immeasurable bullshit about passion and fans to quantify a clubs size in order to cloud the fact that, like most teams, most teams have won nothing for years on end. You’d have to be about thirty to have any memory of Aston Villa winning something, the same for Everton, you’d need to be forty+ to remember West Ham’s FA Cup win in 1980 and you’d have to be in self isolation with the rest of the 70+ year olds to remember Newcastle United winning anything.

The fact is the way in which the game has changed, there are very few teams that win anything so people turn to these intangible buzzwords, like a sponsored Facebook advert, to quantify a clubs size. Ultimately, there’s no true and fair way to measuring a clubs size so it’s down to crap like this.