talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ross Barkley Could Stay at Everton

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why's he sitting on the fence for so long? Does he think his sporadic spurts of form is going to entice another team to pay an inordinate figure for him and pay him six figures a week? 

Koeman is gaining a lot of respect here and Barkley is looking silly IMO. 

13 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Why's he sitting on the fence for so long? Does he think his sporadic spurts of form is going to entice another team to pay an inordinate figure for him and pay him six figures a week? 

Agreed. Koeman is basically saying "you're not that good lad, sign or fuck off". 

It looks to me like Barkley is holding out for a move to Spurs but he's simply not good enough to get in their side, other than to sit on the bench. 

Everton is about as higher level as he will get and that's pushing it. 

Lovely, another Barkley discussion for me to sink my teeth into. 

He'll leave this summer, I think. 

12 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

He wants Champions League football. Nothing wrong with a player showing some ambition, we can't give him it and won't even be able to put up a challenge for it for years. 

Like Lukaku this isn't about wanting more money, Barkley will have been offered six figures per week. 

2 minutes ago, HK85 said:

Lovely, another Barkley discussion for me to sink my teeth into. 

He'll leave this summer, I think. 

He wants Champions League football. Nothing wrong with a player showing some ambition, we can't give him it and won't even be able to put up a challenge for it for years. 

Like Lukaku this isn't about wanting more money, Barkley will have been offered six figures per week. 

Yes but he wouldn't get into any team in England who are playing CL football. Unless it's off the bench. 

Would he get into Chelsea's team? No chance 

would he get into Spurs team? No chance

Would he get into Liverpools team? No chance

would he get into Uniteds team? No chance

Would he get into Arsenals side? No chance

Would he get into City's team? No chance 

As I said, Everton is about as high as he can go and he should think himself lucky he's a regular there. 

Champions League? Fine, fair enough but shouldn't he prove he's good enough for large periods of time at Everton before moving to a side who play in the Champions League? 

He's capable at that level when he's in form but when he's not, he wouldn't get a game at most, if not every English side in the Champions League. 

8 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Yes but he wouldn't get into any team in England who are playing CL football. Unless it's off the bench. 

For now. 

Once he's moved from here and away with the burden of being the local lad who must win us every game he'll have enough confidence to work his way into one of those sides.

• Administrator

where would Barkley fit in the current Spurs lineup?

Alli, Eriksen, Son, Wanyama, Dembele. Is he better than those? Probably not. Spurs could do better.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Good rotation player for Dele

doubt there'll be much rotation. 

Alli is first name on team-sheet if he continue as he's done so past couple of seasons. Can only see him getting better. 

Unless he gets sold of course in which case Spurs will be downgrading if signing Barkley. 

• Subscriber

I've defended Barkley all season in light of the over the top criticism he received for a handful of average performances earlier in the year, but if he or his agent is trying to hold the club to ransom for more money or promises or whatever, he or they are suffering from some serious delusion. 

Like I said, Barkley has been better this season than some people give him credit for, but he's no Lukaku who has all but secured the golden boot and proved he's ready to step forward in his career. Like most have said, Barkley wouldn't be a regular at any side above us in the table unless he found another level when he moved there and performed consistently at that level.

Anyone with any sense can see that the place Barkley belongs right now is at Everton. Lukaku has had his 'moment' this season becoming the top goalscorer in the league. Barkley's own 'moment' is likely to be as a key player for us when we actually achieve something as a team be it a significant league finish or a trophy or whatever. For the life of me, I can't understand why this contract is not signed. Seems a no brainer for all parties.

2 minutes ago, adziom said:

I've defended Barkley all season in light of the over the top criticism he received for a handful of average performances earlier in the year, but if he or his agent is trying to hold the club to ransom for more money or promises or whatever, he or they are suffering from some serious delusion. 

Like I said, Barkley has been better this season than some people give him credit for, but he's no Lukaku who has all but secured the golden boot and proved he's ready to step forward in his career. Like most have said, Barkley wouldn't be a regular at any side above us in the table unless he found another level when he moved there and performed consistently at that level.

Anyone with any sense can see that the place Barkley belongs right now is at Everton. Lukaku has had his 'moment' this season becoming the top goalscorer in the league. Barkley's own 'moment' is likely to be as a key player for us when we actually achieve something as a team be it a significant league finish or a trophy or whatever. For the life of me, I can't understand why this contract is not signed. Seems a no brainer for all parties.

Bang on!

4 hours ago, Stan said:

doubt there'll be much rotation. 

I'm sure Tottenham will want to at least get out of the group stages of the Champions' League next season. They'll need to actually start doing some rotating.

With the faults of Liverpool, City, United and Arsenal. Plus the additional fixtures Chelsea will have and Tottenham settling in to Wembley there could be an opportunity for Everton to break in to the top six if they keep Lukaku and improve slightly. I'm surprised a local player doesn't want to be a part of that.

• Subscriber
19 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

With the faults of Liverpool, City, United and Arsenal. Plus the additional fixtures Chelsea will have and Tottenham settling in to Wembley there could be an opportunity for Everton to break in to the top six if they keep Lukaku and improve slightly. I'm surprised a local player doesn't want to be a part of that.

Chances of keeping Lukaku are 1% if that. Still you could be right if the money from selling him is wisely invested. 

Looks unlikely that he's going to stay now. Tottenham are the obvious choice, have heard Liverpool mentioned as well which will probably make things between him and Everton fans worse if that ended up happening.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Cannabis said:

To tell you the truth I'm really pissed off about this. Even if he signs things won't be the same with Ross and I can't for the life of me work out what's going on behind the scenes. 

Barkley has always been a good kid with bags of potential, us Evertonians always get stick for saying that ''next year is going to be his year'' and until this season we've been laughed at because we've always been wrong. Ross has always shown flashes of brilliance for a few games before slipping back into being another passenger and in return going back to being ''that kid with a lot of potential''. We could (and probably should have) cashed in on him a few seasons ago but instead what did we do? Us Evertonians kept singing his name, he's one of our own, a local lad who's living the dream of every Evertonian by playing at Goodison Park and what do we get in return for our banners and continuous support? He refuses to sign a contract after his first consistent season at the club and effectively holds us to ransom. 

He's out of order in a way and incredibly deluded if he's going to break into the first XI of Manchester United, Manchester City, Tottenham, Chelsea, Arsenal or even Liverpool. If he wants to earn some more money by sitting on the bench at the Etihad then so be it but he's a total fool and throwing away an opportunity of a life-time. Don't get me wrong, I know that most players will have to move on at some point in their career but why now? Why now when he's just hitting some consistent form? Why now when we're backed by Moshiri, ran by Koeman and on the verge of potentially having a go of the Champions League? Why now when Ross Barkley banners and Ross Barkley songs have been sung all season? Just why the fuck now?!

He's not irreplaceable don't get me wrong. If we sell Ross for £50,000,000 (which is the price we apparently want for him) and bring in Gylfi Siguardsson then we've done a cracking bit of business but I can't fathom for one second how this has turned into the contract saga that it has. My head tells me that I want him to refuse a contract and for us to go our separate ways but my heart tells me the opposite. I'd love for him to be the talisman for us in future seasons but it's looking more and more unlikely that that will be the case. 

Fuck knows how this is going to play out but from an outsider looking in Ross should hang his head in shame, he's making an unbelievable mistake.

I have to disagree with you to an extent with this - I don't actually think Barkley has looked all that this season. He was poor at the beginning and found his feet again to become one of our solid top 5 players throughout the season but never a real standout. I'd say he's been no better than Gueye, for example, and not close to Lukaku's level. He may have been more consistent but I don't think that he's offered more over the course of the season than he has in recent years and I can't think of many matches where he's taken it by the scruff of the neck.

Love him to stay as he is a good player, and I'll be gutted if he leaves because he was supposed to be 'the one' for us, the heartbeat of a new Everton.

Otherwise completely agree with you unless there's more to it and he's had shitty treatment from the manager or the board or something else behind the scenes. The best explanation I can come up with is his agent's got him holding out for wages that match any big names we bring in this season but that still seems a long shot for me. I simply don't understand it and like you've said, can't see any set of circumstances that would be enough to put him off re-signing for his boyhood club where he could become a hero and a club icon, especially when things are moving in the right direction again.

On 2017-5-11 at 11:40 PM, LFCMadLad said:

Might as well be a cult hero at Everton than play second fiddle to a teenager. 

I agree. 

I hope he stays. A local lad, and the league needs more one club men. Without doubt his legacy would be greatest as a lifelong Everton player...

If he was going to stay I think he'd have signed by now, he's obviously waiting for other options and if they don't come forward he'll sign the new deal.

I don't think Koeman will stand for that.

• The title was changed to Ross Barkley Could Stay at Everton

Archived