talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ross Barkley Could Stay at Everton

47 minutes ago, ficklered said:

And therein lies the problem. I don't doubt he has ability, it's the mentality he lacks. He's not really a team player.

There was rumour on Talksport this morning of Barkley being linked to ManU, I'm praying it's just idle gossip. If he does leave he'd be better suited to Scottish footy....

From what the guy said he's on a shortlist for attacking players, I can't imagine he's particularly high on that shortlist, but he's on it. I don't think Mourinho would tolerate his 'hot and cold' performances.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Aaroncpfc said:

From what the guy said he's on a shortlist for attacking players, I can't imagine he's particularly high on that shortlist, but he's on it. I don't think Mourinho would tolerate his 'hot and cold' performances.

Agreed, and neither would I :D

12 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Makes sense really. Chelsea are short on HG quota so Barkley would be a cheap option to sit on the bench and play the early rounds of the League Cup. 

Last seasons top two in a battle to sign him. 

You're lucky he's well above Liverpool's standards, could be a bit awkward. 

5 minutes ago, HK85 said:

Last seasons top two in a battle to sign him. 

You're lucky he's well above Liverpool's standards, could be a bit awkward. 

I know. Gutted we're not in for him to be honest. He'd be great competition for Woodburn. 

1 minute ago, Danny said:

And people say English players don't get a chance 😂 Chamberlain struggles to get into Arsenals first eleven and has the Champions of England after him now.

He will probably struggle to get into the starting 11, but he could do well in a rotation system.

• Administrator

we've probably told Chelsea to do one or they're not willing to pay what we've told them to for Drinkwater so they've gone for Barkley. 

if they need to fill their HG quota, i'd ruffle other top teams for their players - Lallana or Henderson from Liverpool. Alli or Dier from Spurs. Make them feel unsettled and play the game a little bit. 

11 minutes ago, Stan said:

we've probably told Chelsea to do one or they're not willing to pay what we've told them to for Drinkwater so they've gone for Barkley. 

if they need to fill their HG quota, i'd ruffle other top teams for their players - Lallana or Henderson from Liverpool. Alli or Dier from Spurs. Make them feel unsettled and play the game a little bit. 

It's a World Cup year, every target we will be going after will want guaranteed game time. Add that to the fact we are low in HG players. 

We are in a pickle. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Ross Barkley Could Stay at Everton
  • Administrator
4 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

How is it awkward exactly? We don't want to hand Ross a new deal so we haven't, no club has come in for him yet which is why he is still an Everton player. Our stance hasn't changed since the start of the summer, there is no offer on the table and as soon as a reasonable bid comes in he will be sold. 

he wants to leave but no-one has come in for him. you have a player still at the club who essentially doesn't want to be there any more. Running down the contract means you'll get less money for him (this is a moot point however given you don't necessarily need money any more).

• Subscriber

I don't want to play the "if carefully chosen player X to suit my agenda is worth £A, then player Y from my club is worth £B" card too much, but with asking prices like Sigurdsson £50m, Van Dijk £70m, then we should be slapping a price tag of at least £35m on Barkley too. Any club that wants him will not pay that fee when they can just sign him on a free next summer.

My gut feeling is that Spurs will pay near enough our asking price at the end of the window, or maybe Chelsea. But if he stays, I fully expect him to slowly be integrated back into the team. There's no point him rotting in the reserves. The club don't want to pay a player's wage, a good player still by the way, even if he's not as good as he or his agent seem to think, without trying to get something out of him. Likewise, with Barkley wanting to impress potential suitors and go to the World Cup next summer, he has no incentive to spend the next 10 months sulking either. It will be turbulent with the fans when he comes back into the fray if this is the way things go but ultimately if he's wearing an Everton shirt and he performs he'll be supported, or at least tolerated.

Seems like Barkley bought into his own hype and now has been brought back down to reality. A good player on his day but teams above Everton would realistically only see him as a squad player and turns out they're unwilling to fork out the fees being mentioned just for a squad player.

Best thing for him to do is eat some humble pie and get on with playing football at Everton and actually show everyone that he is a top player rather than just a player that Alan Shearer masturbates over on MOTD.

Archived