talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Restaurant Recommendations

football forum

I'm going to London for the day tomorrow, and I feel like having tapas, so I've started this thread mainly for a recommendation from Balon, but everyone could make good use of this thread. We have members from all over the place, so together we should have a very wide knowledge.

Share your favourite restaurants in your city or cities you've visited.

@SirBalon good, authentic tapas places in London? Nothing too formal, eat at the bar style would be nice, or maybe outdoor seating since it's getting hot.

If anyone visits Bristol I recommend El Puerto (tapas) and Giuseppe's (obviously Italian).

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

For Bedford, where I live, there's one of the best Indian restaurants I've been to called Three Rooms. Not pricey at all and setting/actual food makes it feel like you're in a much better place than Bedford xD

The other best Indian restaurant I've been to is called Mint Leaf in Piccadilly. Amazing food but does come at a very high cost. My girlfriend has expensive taste unfortunately xD

For tapas, I don't have it that much as it's not my kind of cuisine but I did go somewhere in Soho called Tapas Brindisa. No idea if it's branded or not but again, my girlfriend chose it and she has better taste than me. 

4 hours ago, ...Dan said:

I'm going to London for the day tomorrow, and I feel like having tapas, so I've started this thread mainly for a recommendation from Balon, but everyone could make good use of this thread. We have members from all over the place, so together we should have a very wide knowledge.

Share your favourite restaurants in your city or cities you've visited.

@SirBalon good, authentic tapas places in London? Nothing too formal, eat at the bar style would be nice, or maybe outdoor seating since it's getting hot.

If anyone visits Bristol I recommend El Puerto (tapas) and Giuseppe's (obviously Italian).

The best Spanish tapas bar in the UK is in Soho (in London's Soho) and is called Barrafina...  Infact it's the only Michelin Star stool restaurant in the world (the best chef in the world Ferran Adrià based Tickets in Barcelona on this) and even though it's not cheap (but not expensive either at Michelin Star prices), it is worth it.  You've never eaten anything like that in your life unless you've been so lucky as to have gone to the gastronomy capital of the world which is San Sebastián in northern Spain.

Nieves Barragán (chef) is one of the greatest chefs on the planet at the moment and designs all the tapas.  It's an event, trust me, but be prepared to wait while you have a few cold beers as it's treated like a typical Spanish bar.

_MG_5607%20HR-1.JPG

8V7A6706.jpg

7H0A9885-1.jpg

8V7A6654.jpg

Barrafina_DeanStreet_5545.jpg

Barrafina_DeanStreet_5610.jpg

Barrafina | Modern, Spanish Tapas Bars in Covent Garden and Soho

Another place I frequent is also in Soho, but is Italian.  Actually it's Italian tapas, and yes, they have their own traditional versions in the south of Italy seeing as the Borbons (Spanish kings) left their traditions on the "Two Sicilies".  The place is called Bocca Di Lupo (Mouth of the Wolf)

bocca-di-lupo-home_image_image-130926898

bocca-di-lupo-home_image_image-137036358

bocca-di-lupo-home_image_image-146469474

bocca-di-lupo-home_image_image-146469466

bocca-di-lupo-home_image_image-148552842

bocca-di-lupo-home_image_image-146469471

Bocca Di Lupo - home

8 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Food photography is really an art in itself. 

It is indeed...  I'm a massive foodie, so this subject is something close to my heart.  I've actually travelled exclusively to go to eat at a particular restaurant in the past on several occasions.  I can guarantee you that the pictures on both those restaurants (they do dozens of other things) are presented exactly like that on your plate.  And they taste better than they look!

I am a big food critic and am handy myself in the kitchen.  To be honest, I'm a bit of a snob in this sense.

If I've got time I'll name more restaurants as that was just on tapas which there are many more and decent at lower prices.  Then other places in other parts of Europe.

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

It is indeed...  I'm a massive foodie, so this subject is something close to my heart.  I've actually travelled exclusively to go to eat at a particular restaurant in the past on several occasions.  I can guarantee you that the pictures on both those restaurants (they do dozens of other things) are presented exactly like that on your plate.  And they taste better than they look!

I am a big food critic and am handy myself in the kitchen.  To be honest, I'm a bit of a snob in this sense.

If I've got time I'll name more restaurants as that was just on tapas which there are many more and decent at lower prices.  Then other places in other parts of Europe.

Considering the rating of the restaurant and the pictures of how the food is placed I'd imagine it does taste very good. Sometimes you'll see folks posting what they ate for dinner and by no means are they bad pictures because our access to cellphones has made it easier to take more pictures but what I am referring to (and I am sure you feel the same) is how these pictures make you feel like you're at the restaurant in some cases or the amount of effort it takes to plate a dish or the step right before it hits the plate or even the process of getting to the final dish.

1 minute ago, Mel81x said:

Considering the rating of the restaurant and the pictures of how the food is placed I'd imagine it does taste very good. Sometimes you'll see folks posting what they ate for dinner and by no means are they bad pictures because our access to cellphones has made it easier to take more pictures but what I am referring to (and I am sure you feel the same) is how these pictures make you feel like you're at the restaurant in some cases or the amount of effort it takes to plate a dish or the step right before it hits the plate or even the process of getting to the final dish.

I agree mate...  Photography (good photography) is accessible to everyone these days with apps to harness the object of the picture to all your wishes.  It does almost make you feel like you can smell it and almost taste it. hahaha

My favourite thing where restaurants are concerned is finding gems that open in dodgy areas because they can't afford to start their business at a top end area of a city.  This is one of the only situations in life where it's all about the guy sweating his guts out in his zone and offering you a piece of art that tastes as good as it looks.

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Spike said:

Also, food photography when professional is often very manipulative. That steam coming from that plate? Probably a microwaved tampon. 

But isnt that the point? To make the person looking at the picture want to go there and eat there or try out the dish?

I think that at most top quality restaurants they won't mess around with any pictures in my experience.  It's shooting yourself in the foot these days with social media and the fact most places live off the reviews on the web like TripAdvisor for example.

Another of my favourites (I think I've mentioned them at TF365 before) if you're into oriental food is, Yuatcha.  The original one in London's Soho is my favourite although if you're taking a lot of people to lunch or dinner, then the one that's opened on Broadgate Circle in London's City (near Liverpool Street Stn) is also great. Again it's a Michelin Star restaurant but without the mental prices usually associated with that (which in truth is a myth most of the time and the problem is getting a table).  The second pitcure is one of my favourites....  It's a bean curd crispy roll but on the outside that ultra thin pasta they use for their dim sum.  The other one is the softshell crab with chillies and almonds. But all their dim sum are to die for and totally authentic. Oh, trust me, the food you get is identical to that in the pictures.

R0062306.jpg

Lobster-dumpling-with-tobiko-caviar-800x

yauatcha.2017.01-6568.full-resolution-80

yauatcha.2017.01-6523.full-resolution-80

Roasted-duck-pumpkin-puff-2-800x600.jpg

yauatcha.2017.01-6335.full-resolution-80

Soho

• 2 years later...

Archived