talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Best Free Transfers

football forum

There is too much greed in Football these days, that we can probably all agree on.

So it got me thinking.

In your opinion, who do you think has been your club's best free transfer and why?

Who have been the best example's of free transfers worldwide?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Marc Albrighton - Certainly played his part in the title-winning season. Actually felt for him being told by Villa he wasn't needed any more. How ironice that in the first season with us he's won the league while Villa get relegated, bottom of the league no less.

Christian Fuchs - Again, had a great hand in helping us win that title as well. Defensive solidity, plenty of experience and a rocket of a left foot at times. Also made that key reverse-pass for Vardy to notch his record-breaking 11th consecutive goal. Scored some crackers himself, as well.

Esteban Cambiasso - he's magic, you know....his influence in helping us turn around the fortunes in 2014/15 was magnificient. Obviously several other players played their part too but there's no doubt a talented and experienced player like Esteban came in and was just in the background. Several players mention his input and assistance to Pearson at the time and it paid off. What a player to nab on a free.

They're my top 3. Nothing can really come close, to be honest, given the achievements as a whole by the club.

Other notables, and going further back in to the past:

David Nugent - prolific striker for us in the Championship and getting out of that division in 2013/14. His partnership with Vardy was superb and they complimented each other's game perfectly. 

Lloyd Dyer - signed in summer of 2008 just after we'd got relegated to League One. Tore several right-backs to shreds in that league. Probably far too good for that league for that season and would have helped any club get promoted from it. Scored the winning goal vs Bolton to seal promotion.

Oh and also Marcin Wasilewski because if he was to ever find out he missed this list I will fear for myself and my family's safety.

Brad Friedel. Eight years of faultless service, scores of MOTM performances (including the 2002 League Cup Final), three figures of saved points, and probably our best ever goalkeeper. 

3 hours ago, Stan said:

Esteban Cambiasso - he's magic, you know....his influence in helping us turn around the fortunes in 2014/15 was magnificient. Obviously several other players played their part too but there's no doubt a talented and experienced player like Esteban came in and was just in the background. Several players mention his input and assistance to Pearson at the time and it paid off. What a player to nab on a free.

Cambiasso joined Inter from Real Madrid on a free too. The definitive free agent.

• Subscriber

James Milner

I don't think I even need to mention how crucial he is to Klopp and how easily he seems to slot into any position you throw him into. Came for free and now has a CL trophy under his belt and has really done the job for the club. To add to that, if you ever watch the training videos, the man puts the rest of the squad to shame with his pre-season fitness and I'd wager even his season fitness as well. 

James Milner. I remember not being entirely convinced by the signing during his start under Rodgers. Since Klopp came in though he's been superb. Even spending a whole season at left back. Scored some crucial penalties too.

Gary McAllister. For his scoring run at the end of the 00/01 season that ended in three trophies and Champions League qualification. Goals in the UEFA Cup semi final and final, an injury time winner vs Everton, a couple of other free kicks at Bradford and Coventry off the top of my head. Not just that though but Liverpool had a young side at the time and he provided some much needed experience.

5 hours ago, LFCMike said:

James Milner. I remember not being entirely convinced by the signing during his start under Rodgers. Since Klopp came in though he's been superb. Even spending a whole season at left back. Scored some crucial penalties too.

Gary McAllister. For his scoring run at the end of the 00/01 season that ended in three trophies and Champions League qualification. Goals in the UEFA Cup semi final and final, an injury time winner vs Everton, a couple of other free kicks at Bradford and Coventry off the top of my head. Not just that though but Liverpool had a young side at the time and he provided some much needed experience.

He was great for you that exact season you are on about. Masterstroke from Houllier there.

I remember, we kinda choked at the end and you pipped us to Champions League on the last day and he played such a big part. I think that goal against Everton was massive.

Couldn't hate him though, was great for us too. A real underrated player generally.

14 hours ago, tlr said:

Brad Friedel. Eight years of faultless service, scores of MOTM performances (including the 2002 League Cup Final), three figures of saved points, and probably our best ever goalkeeper. 

What was great about Friedel was he just seemed to get better with age, a bit like his compatriot, Tim Howard. Don't think he ever got a true shot at Liverpool.

Rarely let you down either. And he scored for you once in all I remember.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Lucas said:

What was great about Friedel was he just seemed to get better with age, a bit like his compatriot, Tim Howard. Don't think he ever got a true shot at Liverpool.

Not sure I can vouch for this 

5 minutes ago, Storts said:

Not sure I can vouch for this 

I specifically meant the years he left Liverpool, to Blackburn and then to Villa. His twenties probably not much to write home about. His years from 30 onwards though were great.

You got him a few years too late in his 40's, let's be fair.

28 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I know keepers peak in their early 30s but Friedel was something else. Signed at 29, left at 37 and never regressed at all, he had his very odd clanger - not as regular as his replacement at Spurs has them mind :ph34r: - but so does every keeper. As dependable and consistent as anyone I've ever seen in blue and white halves.

One stat I think that exemplifies this is that he played eight consecutive Premier League seasons without missing a game (4 at is, all 3 at Villa, his first at Spurs I think). That was from his mid 30s to early 40s. A Premier League record and it doesn't happen by accident.

And yes, he scored against Charlton at the Valley way back when in added time to make it 2-2. Claus Jensen promptly scored at the other end and we lost 3-2 xD

• Subscriber

Once again Stan comes in and basically writes not far off word for word what I'm about to write and this is quite simply why I have never won member of the month. Corrupt.

46 minutes ago, tlr said:

I know keepers peak in their early 30s but Friedel was something else. Signed at 29, left at 37 and never regressed at all, he had his very odd clanger - not as regular as his replacement at Spurs has them mind :ph34r: - but so does every keeper. As dependable and consistent as anyone I've ever seen in blue and white halves.

One stat I think that exemplifies this is that he played eight consecutive Premier League seasons without missing a game (4 at is, all 3 at Villa, his first at Spurs I think). That was from his mid 30s to early 40s. A Premier League record and it doesn't happen by accident.

And yes, he scored against Charlton at the Valley way back when in added time to make it 2-2. Claus Jensen promptly scored at the other end and we lost 3-2 xD

He was a fantasy points magnet too. Used to have him quite a bit in my teams.

Probably also why you had such a decent team during his time and won the league cup. It's rare good teams get by without a quality keeper.

Always come across a genuine, humble bloke too from the little I've seen on TV.

• Subscriber
On 03/05/2020 at 21:31, Stan said:

Marc Albrighton - Certainly played his part in the title-winning season. Actually felt for him being told by Villa he wasn't needed any more. How ironice that in the first season with us he's won the league while Villa get relegated, bottom of the league no less.

Christian Fuchs - Again, had a great hand in helping us win that title as well. Defensive solidity, plenty of experience and a rocket of a left foot at times. Also made that key reverse-pass for Vardy to notch his record-breaking 11th consecutive goal. Scored some crackers himself, as well.

They're my top 3. Nothing can really come close, to be honest, given the achievements as a whole by the club.

Other notables, and going further back in to the past:

David Nugent - prolific striker for us in the Championship and getting out of that division in 2013/14. His partnership with Vardy was superb and they complimented each other's game perfectly. 

Lloyd Dyer - signed in summer of 2008 just after we'd got relegated to League One. Tore several right-backs to shreds in that league. Probably far too good for that league for that season and would have helped any club get promoted from it. Scored the winning goal vs Bolton to seal promotion.

Oh and also Marcin Wasilewski because if he was to ever find out he missed this list I will fear for myself and my family's safety.

Lloyd Dyer never testing himself in the Premier League was a shame. He was very one dimensional but very effective too. Gray could learn a thing or two off him.

Nugent was probably Sven's second best signing behind Schmeichel. I was surprised quite how well he did for us. Always fit into that category though of being too good for the Championship but not quite good enough for the premier League.

On 03/05/2020 at 22:33, LFCMike said:

These 2 are the 2 I immediately thought of when I saw the thread title.

Honestly, when Milner first joined I thought he was alright but I didn't think it was the greatest signing. Now I think he's an absolute fucking legend and I am so glad we signed him. I think soon he'll have more league appearances for us than any of his other clubs in England, and that's nice.

When we signed Gary Mac, I thought Houllier'd lost his mind xD - I thought we were signing someone looking for one last payday and that he was too old to really be useful to us. And instead he was a player I wish we could have had earlier in his career and seen more of in a red shirt.

Archived