• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

EFL & Coronavirus

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
7 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

What will happen to playoff places? Only automatic teams go up?

Not read the Athletic site but maybe 3rd place automatically goes up instead? 

Also, does that mean they know what's happening with Championship places going up to the PL? How can they know what/how many League One places go up without knowing who leaves the Championship? 

23 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

transfers become a big issue then though? They buying and selling of players is generally heavily influenced by what league your clubs in

Better than being kept down though.

59 minutes ago, Stan said:

Not read the Athletic site but maybe 3rd place automatically goes up instead? 

Also, does that mean they know what's happening with Championship places going up to the PL? How can they know what/how many League One places go up without knowing who leaves the Championship? 

I would assume they do know already but they cannot say, simply because they have to wait for the Premier League to confirm it's plans officially. 

Otherwise, the chats are still ongoing whilst the PL decide if they are going to restart or not.

Either way, the EFL would make the Premier League look absolute jokers if the Championship inadvertently indicated Top 3 were promoted, whilst the PL announced nothing.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I would assume they do know already but they cannot say, simply because they have to wait for the Premier League to confirm it's plans officially. 

Otherwise, the chats are still ongoing whilst the PL decide if they are going to restart or not.

Either way, the EFL would make the Premier League look absolute jokers if the Championship inadvertently indicated Top 3 were promoted, whilst the PL announced nothing.

But surely by saying this L1 & L2 it kind of reveals some plans anyway? 

If @The Palace Fan could copy the article in here it'd be grand cos I'm only going off the headline now xD

2 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Announcement set for early next week according to The Athletic.

PPG data likely to decide season. The only change would be Stevenage pipping Exeter to the final fourth spot.

That would be some climb up the table. 

Right decision. Should be done across all English leagues. 

26 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

That would be some climb up the table. 

Right decision. Should be done across all English leagues. 

xD My bad, meant Cheltenham.

9 minutes ago, Stan said:

Ha just clocked that as well xD 

Stop lieing.

3 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

It'll be curious to see how clubs will take this and if any take legal action. 

I dont see how they could. This is a freak disaster and what the EFL are doing is in everybody's best interests. Rick Parry's speech about how The EFL needs a reset button is the most progressive form of thinking since the late 90's,

5 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

That wet wipe at Peterborough who is always far too vocal on Twitter will almost certainly do so. 

Hes already been very vocal about wanting to complete the season. Kids crying to him about wanting the season to carry on. Apparently.

34 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

20200508_170617.thumb.jpg.3d887c3dfa6365efdd82d4d7c396b8ee.jpg

He’s got a point tbf. I know something has to happen, but if you’ve played all the difficult games and you’re easily within touching distance with games left against the bottom clubs, you’d be mightily fucked off.

1 minute ago, Smiley Culture said:

People are dying all over the place through this, businesses will be decimated or cease to exist, people are furloughed all over the place and he’s moaning about third tier football. Dickhead. 

He’s a business owner like any other though? Plenty moaning that local independent cafes and shops etc can’t open with social distancing etc. Is this just another case of football being an easy target? Might be lower league, but as a whole, it’s still going to effect people livelihoods isn’t it?

I don't see how any solution is going to be satisfactory for all teams... If you freeze the season as is and promote those that are holding those promotion positions then teams just below them with a chance of promotion wouldn't be happy and if you cancelled the season altogether so no-one goes anywhere and you start again from scratch next season then all those that were already in a promotion spot wouldn't be happy and that's just at the top of the tables, It gets even more complicated for those battling relegation... 

5 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

He’s a business owner like any other though? Plenty moaning that local independent cafes and shops etc can’t open with social distancing etc. Is this just another case of football being an easy target? Might be lower league, but as a whole, it’s still going to effect people livelihoods isn’t it?

And he can’t run his football club without his business funding his leisure activity. Things are bigger than Football. 

This is honestly the best news I’ve read all day. From what I could gather continuing the season would’ve led to multiple clubs ceasing to exist in their current capacity - Accrington Stanley being the first to spring to mind. If this is the way to guarantee the sustenance and longevity of these clubs then I’m all for it no questions asked.

15 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

He’s got a point tbf. I know something has to happen, but if you’ve played all the difficult games and you’re easily within touching distance with games left against the bottom clubs, you’d be mightily fucked off.

They're also 6th. The gap between 2nd and 8th is 4 points. I don't see how League One can legitimately promote anyone. They'd all go to court.

28 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

They're also 6th. The gap between 2nd and 8th is 4 points. I don't see how League One can legitimately promote anyone. They'd all go to court.

I think Coventry should get promoted. It would be very harsh on them if they werent when you consider the points, the quality of football and the grave situation they've been in for some time.

I wouldnt mind playoff system from 3rd to 8th with Rotherham then being introduced a round later. The gap between Doncaster and Wycombe is enough in my opinion to justify it. Albeit if you were to do that I imagine Tranmere would be in a position to argue they should have a match against AFC Wimbledon to decide who survives.

Theres also no guarantee of a time frame when this could happen, at least clubs can start planning now for next season. A lot of these teams would lose players out of contract that would usually stay.

3 hours ago, Harvsky said:

I am more than happy for Barnsley, Luton, Charlton, Hull, Wigan, Middlesbrough, Huddersfield and Stoke to drop (or Derby when they get a points deduction)

Swap the lot. They're all garbage.

7 hours ago, Lucas said:

I am more than happy for Barnsley, Luton, Charlton, Hull, Wigan, Middlesbrough, Huddersfield and Stoke to drop (or Derby when they get a points deduction)

Swap the lot. They're all garbage.

Funnily enough most people are saying the same about the bottom six in The Premier League xD

Are Derby and Sheffield Wednesday still likely to get points deductions?

• The title was changed to EFL & Coronavirus

Archived