talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

EFL & Coronavirus

QPR chief executive Lee Hoos says the club is "appalled by" and "vehemently opposed to" the English Football League's plans for the Championship to return on 20 June.

Hoos says there was "absolutely no consultation" on the matter, claiming clubs learned of the news just before it came out at 21:00 BST on Sunday.

"I am absolutely stunned by this announcement," he added.

No Championship fixtures have been played since 8 March.

"Incredibly, there has been absolutely no consultation with individual clubs nor with the Championship doctors' working group by the divisional representatives - or anyone else in the Football League - regarding this matter," Hoos told the QPR website.

"Having spoken with our director of football Les Ferdinand and our manager Mark Warburton, they share my views. We are vehemently opposed to this schedule."

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

QPR chief executive Lee Hoos says the club is "appalled by" and "vehemently opposed to" the English Football League's plans for the Championship to return on 20 June.

Hoos says there was "absolutely no consultation" on the matter, claiming clubs learned of the news just before it came out at 21:00 BST on Sunday.

"I am absolutely stunned by this announcement," he added.

No Championship fixtures have been played since 8 March.

"Incredibly, there has been absolutely no consultation with individual clubs nor with the Championship doctors' working group by the divisional representatives - or anyone else in the Football League - regarding this matter," Hoos told the QPR website.

"Having spoken with our director of football Les Ferdinand and our manager Mark Warburton, they share my views. We are vehemently opposed to this schedule."

When I read about the Championship resuming earlier today, I was thinking if the Premiership have played a part in the Championship being resumed (mainly for financial reasons) while League One and Two are being axed (as far as I'm aware). 

2 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

When I read about the Championship resuming earlier today, I was thinking if the Premiership have played a part in the Championship being resumed (mainly for financial reasons) while League One and Two are being axed (as far as I'm aware). 

If the Premiership is going to restart then there has to be Relegation come the end of the season and if that's the case there has to be Promotion from the League below which might explain the reason for it, but what is going to happen to those in the relegation spots in the Championship now?? does anyone know what the plan is?? 

12 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

If the Premiership is going to restart then there has to be Relegation come the end of the season and if that's the case there has to be Promotion from the League below which might explain the reason for it, but what is going to happen to those in the relegation spots in the Championship now?? does anyone know what the plan is?? 

Aren't League 1 still in civil war about whether to cancel the season or play to a finish? In which case the question could shift to whether or not the bottom of League 1 go down!

5 hours ago, Rick said:

Will this break not have potentially had a positive effect on your squad?  A long break from the notoriously hard training under Bielsa. Could be just what they needed to avoid the burnout again. Hope you, want you fuckers up. 

4 hours ago, Stan said:

I thought too. Time to re-group and almost hit the ground running like they did at the start of the season. A break from the rigours of the normal season could be a blessing in disguise for Leeds.

In theory, you're both right.

I mean both seasons under Bielsa we hit the ground running, fitness wise that teams struggled to live with the pace of the game we set. If anyone haz been thorough during this lockdown in terms of fitness plans, it would have been Bielsa. The players should be in great shape. So it's positive for us from that perspective.

I just worry because I'm used to constant disappointment and failure with Leeds. Lose the first, Fulham win, 4pts gap with 8 to play and the wings start flapping.

Just hope we stuff Cardiff, but @Bluebird Hewitt is right, rightsomehow manage to shithouse results against us, credit to them.

• Subscriber

All Grimsby Town players and staff have agreed to take a 25% pay cut. It is not a deferred cut where they'll get paid the difference at a later date but an actual cut of their wages. All to keep the club afloat until fans are allowed back in through the gates.

A nice gesture by them and it won't have been easy to agree to it.

On 01/06/2020 at 14:04, tlr said:

Aren't League 1 still in civil war about whether to cancel the season or play to a finish? In which case the question could shift to whether or not the bottom of League 1 go down!

League One is a cluster. You've got teams who are genuinely in fear of going out of business, that will not be able to subsidise the cost of routinely testing all there players and the government furlough scheme is going a long way to keeping them in business. You've then got big clubs and clubs backed by wealthy owners (Sunderland, Darragh McAnthony, Marcus Evans) who have gambled a lot of promotion and the thought of not playing out this season could be catastrophic. You dont have those owners or clubs in league two so everyone's singing from the same hymn sheet.

I still think playoff tournaments with teams of a higher position getting an advantage is the way to go. Teams will complain but that seems the best of a terrible set of solutions at present. I admire Ipswich Town trying to get in to the conversation but I think the gap between them and the playoff places (teams above have games in hand too) is enough to justify 2nd and 9th being in a tournament.

• Administrator

Set to be announced that League One will be ended. Coventry & Rotherham to be promoted. Tranmere, Southend & Bolton relegated.

League Two has been formally finished as well. 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Set to be announced that League One will be ended. Coventry & Rotherham to be promoted. Tranmere relegated.

League Two has been formally finished as well. 

Rotherham have lucked out big time.

2pts clear with 11 games to go and 6 teams within 3pts of them. My word.

• Administrator

Play-offs for League One:

Wycombe vs Fleetwood
Oxford vs Portsmouth 

First time ever for Oxford. Apparently it was their game on March 7th against Shrewsbury where they scored an 87th minute winner - as the season was decided on points-per-game, if they didn't score that they'd be outside the play-offs.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Probably because my heads fried from my second day of work in two months but I’m baffled as to how we end up with a full quota of 72 clubs in the Football League again. 

Might look at it later. 

Championship - 3 teams relegated from PL/3 teams promoted to PL
League One - 3 teams relegated from Championship/3 teams promoted to Championship
League Two - 3 teams relegated from League One/4 teams promoted to League One. Only 1 relegation out of L2. (usually 2)

No promotions from National League I think. 

Which would then leave a 22-team League Two as 5 teams exit it (4 promoted, 1 relegated) and 3 teams enter from League One relegation. 

Maybe in the 20/21 season there'll be less promotion spots in to L1 and more coming up from National League.

• Subscriber

Gutted as a fan of Sunderland. Wycombe were below Peterborough and Sunderland and because it’s PPG, they take the last playoff place. I get that it had to be settled one way but anything could have happened in those last few games.

As for Grimsby, nothing changes as we weren’t anywhere near promotion or relegation anyway.

On the plus side, I am really chuffed for Coventry.

They have really had the heart of the club ripped out from them since being relegated from the Premier League and moving to the Ricoh. It ruined them.

They actually have a pretty decent sized fanbase as well, it's just a shame they have lost having a real home. Highfield Road used to be a tricky place to go in the Premier League.

For me, there was actually a time when they were on equal footing with Leicester, which seems daft now, but I don't think there was ever a lot between the clubs.

But whilst Leicester got promoted in the Championship and have won a Premier League (still can't believe that), Coventry have sunk and it is a gulf.

Anyway, nice to see them on the up. Two successive promotions now so fair play to them.

• The title was changed to EFL & Coronavirus

Archived