Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

EFL - COVID19 Impact

On 16/05/2020 at 01:13, Gunnersauraus said:

From what I have heard it was unanimous so can't really be any complaints. Although the forest green owner complained so not sure who did the voting 

Dale Vince moans about everything. 

Grimsby are one of the teams who are against this. If we are promoting teams into League One, it's only fair that teams get relegated too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52758193

Promotion and relegation will remain if seasons are finished early.

Play-offs will remain 4 teams only.

Clubs will still be promoted and relegated from the three divisions of the English Football League if seasons are ended amid the coronavirus crisis.

Play-offs will also be played, but with no more than four teams.

The EFL has confirmed that 51% of clubs in either the Championship, League One or League Two need to agree for a campaign to be curtailed.

If a season is ended, the final table will be decided by an unweighted points-per-game system.

Clubs voted to end the League Two campaign immediately on 15 May, also proposing that no team should be relegated to the National League.

However, with the EFL including relegation in its framework for curtailing a season early, Stevenage would go down from League Two as it stands.

Swindon, Crewe and Plymouth would be automatically promoted to League One.

How the League One season will end has yet to be decided, although the EFL's confirmation that only 12 of the 23 clubs need to be in favour of finishing it early could be significant.

Six third-tier teams - Peterborough United, Oxford United, Sunderland, Fleetwood, Portsmouth and Ipswich Town - all said they were determined to complete their remaining fixtures.

But they will need another six clubs to support them if the season is to continue.

The new regulations still have to be voted on by all 71 EFL clubs before they can be implemented.

"In the event a divisional decision is made to curtail the 2019-20 season, the EFL board is recommending that the League adopts the original framework with the amendments as identified, as there is a strong desire to remain as faithful as possible to the regulations and ensure there is consistency in the approach adopted across the EFL in all divisions," EFL chairman Rick Parry said.

"The board has always acknowledged that a single solution to satisfy all clubs would always be hard to find, but we are at the point now where strong, definitive action is need for the good of the League and its members."

Batshit crazy. Sides being promoted having not actually earned it is just going to end in a myriad of court cases. 

Grimsby have already announced their retained list for next season. A few players on there that we would keep given any other circumstance but we've had to let 2/3 of our best players go due to having no funding to offer them new deals and no idea when we will be getting income again.

2 people from same club in Championship test positive:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52789239

Two individuals from the same Championship club have tested positive for coronavirus after more than 1,000 tests were carried out.

The English Football League confirmed that of the 1,014 tests undertaken on players and staff at all 24 second-tier sides, all but two came back negative.

The pair, who have not been named, will now self-isolate for up to 14 days in line with EFL guidelines.

Teams in the Championship are due to resume training on Monday.

The EFL, who would not confirm if the positive tests were from players or staff, said those who had returned negative tests over the past 72 hours would be allowed to enter training grounds.

But prior to going in, everyone must complete a screening protocol to detect any symptoms in a manner devised by the club doctor.

The tests, which are being funded by the clubs and will not impact on NHS testing, are not 100% accurate but meet government and NHS standards.

The Championship, which has been suspended since 13 March, is hoping to restart the season at some point in June.

Meanwhile, no testing programme is in place for League One and League Two clubs.

On 15 May, teams in the fourth tier "unanimously indicated" they wanted to bring their season to an early conclusion, although talks between sides in League One stalled after they failed to agree on a resolution.

I’d hope that 30,000+ deaths in the UK alone wouldn’t lead to football clubs making up cases to use as a tool to fend off relegation but all of the announced cases seem to be at clubs fighting relegation. 

I don’t want to be cynical and I hope I’m wrong but it seems suspicious. 

• Upvote 1

It turns they're both from Hull City. The same club who have made the loudest noise about cancelling the season. 

I think theres grounds for assuming that certain clubs are not adhering to precautions put in place as seriously as others.

So predictable. I'm not buying that as just a coincidence.

Football clubs are more devious than we give them credit for, especially when it comes to finance and protecting yourself at all costs. 

If those infected self isolate, Hull should have to carry on if everyone else is. And if they have to self isolate or whatever by the time fixtures are planned, I'd advise them they forfeit games till they can field a team. Be hard.

Not fair on your Charlton's, Luton's, Barnsley's etc

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Lucas said:

So predictable. I'm not buying that as just a coincidence.

Football clubs are more devious than we give them credit for, especially when it comes to finance and protecting yourself at all costs. 

If those infected self isolate, Hull should have to carry on if everyone else is. And if they have to self isolate or whatever by the time fixtures are planned, I'd advise them they forfeit games till they can field a team. Be hard.

Not fair on your Charlton's, Luton's, Barnsley's etc

Couldn't agree more. Treat it like you would an injury. The rest of the team fills in and if not, you can't field a team so you forfeit the game.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52775851

Blackburn captain Elliott Bennett and two unnamed Fulham players have tested positive for coronavirus in the latest round of testing in the Championship.

Rovers said midfielder Bennett, 31, was "asymptomatic and feeling no ill effects".

Across Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday 1,030 players and staff were tested, with three positive results returned.

It comes as two people at Hull were confirmed to have the virus on Sunday after the previous round of testing.

Championship clubs were allowed to return to non-contact training on Monday - the first step towards the potential resumption of the season.

Both Fulham players will remain unnamed because of medical confidentiality, and are self-isolating in line with English Football League and government guidance.

Blackburn said, providing he develops no symptoms, Bennett will return to training on Friday, 5 June.

"I feel fit and healthy," Bennett told the club's website. "Hopefully this sends out a positive message to the community that perhaps many people have or have had the virus without showing any effects.

"I obviously would never have known if we hadn't returned to training and taken the tests, because I don't feel unwell and have got no symptoms whatsoever.

"There seems to have been a lot of hysteria about footballers returning to training, but it's not a big deal at all. It's the people who are seriously ill in hospital that we need to worry about, not footballers who are fit and healthy, and who aren't showing any signs of being unwell."

No Championship matches have been played since 8 March, with the season suspended five days later.

There has been no specific date set for a resumption, although the EFL said in a statement earlier this month that Championship clubs have "indicated that it is their wish to play on and conclude the season".