talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Little Richard - RIP

football forum

• Subscriber

Another old time Rock & Roll legend has passed away, R.I.P. you may have been called Little Richard but you died a Big Legend 

Quote.thumb.png.19e9aa27be63348aed844daedd499382.png

Little Richard, Founding Father of Rock Who Broke Musical Barriers, Dead at 87

Pianist-singer behind “Tutti Frutti,” “Good Golly Miss Molly” and “Long Tall Sally” set the template that a generation of musicians would follow

rs-239428-little-richard.jpg?resize=1800

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/little-richard-dead-48505/

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Elton John told Rolling Stone in 1973. “I didn’t ever want to be anything else. I’m more of a Little Richard stylist than a Jerry Lee Lewis, I think. Jerry Lee is a very intricate piano player and very skilful, but Little Richard is more of a pounder.” 

One of the most influential acts of the rock n roll era. 

Gave so much energy and urgency to his music, and set a benchmark that affected so many of the great rock frontmen.

bio

Richard Wayne Penniman, born on December 5th, 1932 in Macon, Georgia, and still going strong now at the age of 75 in 2008. One of the pivotal figures in the explosion of rock and roll onto the scene in the 1950s. In November of 1955 his first single for Specialty Records entered the R&B charts, a song called "Tutti-Frutti," and it sounded like nothing that anybody had ever heard before. Little Richard was the most exciting and dynamic musical figure that the world had ever seen up to that point. Compared to most of the other records of the day, "Tutti-Frutti" was like an atomic bomb exploding. Over the course of the next three years Richard released several of the greatest rock and roll records ever made, and established himself as the most radical of all of the rock and roll superstars of the day. Most adults in those days thought that his music was absolutely barbaric, and to top it off, he regularly wore makeup on stage, had a wild hairdo, and led a fairly open bisexual lifestyle for those days.

Some quotes from the greats

Paul McCartney - "The first song I ever sang in public was "Long Tall Sally." I love his voice and I always wanted to sing like him. When the Beatles were first starting we performed with Richard in Liverpool and Hamburg, and we became close friends. Richard is one of the greatest kings of rock 'n' roll.

David Bowie - "After hearing Little Richard on record I bought a saxophone and came into the music business. Little Richard was my inspiration

Smokey Robinson - "Little Richard is the beginning of rock 'n' roll."

Keith Richards - "The first time we realized we were on the same stage with LITTLE RICHARD in 1963, that seemed like the top of the world for us. That's as big a thrill as I've ever had. The most exciting moment of my life was appearing on the same stage as Little Richard."

Mick Jagger - "I had heard so much about the audience reaction that I thought there must be some exaggeration. But it was all true. He drove the whole house into a complete frenzy. There's no single phrase to describe his hold on the audience. I couldn't believe the power of Little Richard on stage. He was amazing. Chuck Berry is my favorite, along with Bo (Diddley), but nobody could beat Little Richard's stage act. Little Richard is the originator and my first idol."

Elvis Presley - "Your music has inspired me - you are the greatest" (1969).

John Lennon - "Elvis was bigger than religion in my life. Then this boy at school said that he'd got this record by somebody called Little Richard who was better than Elvis. The new record was Little Richard's "Long Tall Sally." When I heard it, it was so great I couldn't speak. I didn't want to leave Elvis, but this was so much better. Then someone said "It's a nigger singing." I didn't know Negroes sang. So Elvis was white and Little Richard was black. This was a great relief. "Thank You God" I said. "There is a difference between them." (1970)

Jimi Hendrix - "I want to do with my guitar what Little Richard does with his voice." (1966)

James Brown - "Little Richard is my idol."

Otis Redding - "If it hadn't been for Little Richard I wouldn't be here. I entered the music business because of Richard - he is my inspiration. I used to sing like Little Richard, his rock 'n' roll stuff, you know. Richard has soul too. My present music has a lot of him in it. He did a number way back called "Directly From My Heart To You" which was the personification of soul." (1966)

Janis Joplin - "I'd fly across the country to see Otis; I'd go see Little Richard anywhere. They work, they happen, they're electric, they're exciting, they sweat for you." (1969)

• Subscriber

One of the greats for me growing up in the Rock&Roll era, I was never an Elvis fan but more for Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis etc but my brother in law was an Elvis fanatic and we had many an argument or a wee fight when drunk over them all.

Once again R.I.P Little Richard, you have arrived at the pearly gates and give all the greats of the past up there who have left us some of your great songs.

Archived