talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

What Do You Sound Like

football forum

Not sure which one stands out the most for me but one that maybe is more difficult than others to understand in my experience is the Argentinian accent. Then again, I know someone here from Argentina and I love her accent, almost Italian sounding.

I've got used to the one in Andalucía, in some ways it can be easier for English speakers because it's more similar to South American Spanish with pronunciation, for example, the 'Z'. And once you get used to the ways they pronounce words like 'ocupado', 'pesado' etc where they don't pronounce the 'D' it grows on you.

For me, what's more difficult to understand than accents is more the way people talk, girls in my experience tend to be easier to understand for example but in general, I think people have different styles of speaking, for example, some people mumble and hence are more difficult to understand. I don't know if I'm making sense here at all.

Spanish wise, in my experience my favourite I've come across would be the Argentian one or the Andalucían one. I could differentiate between the Spanish, Mexican, Argentinian accents but that's about it due to exposure. I don't know how different the accents are between the other South American countries for example. Then you've got the different word usage. I used to live with a Mexican and people from the south of Spain and there was this weird moment where I understood more than the Mexican because of the different use of words. I've also got a Chilean friend who was telling me how they use the word 'po' with everything as well and some other things which I've forgotten.

I don't believe there are many countries in the world that have such the variety of accents that the UK has though. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

@Berserker @Inti Brian In Argentine Spanish, the letter "LL" sounds more like a "Ch" or "sh" sound, which you also hear in Uruguay and in Peru the letter "s" is pronounced like an "h" but with less emphasis on it. "Ehtamos" "mah tarde".

Obviously there is also the differences in pronunciation between the letter "c" in South America and Spain(except Andalucía and the Canaries). 

As for English accents try speaking to an old Irish fella who is drunk xD

Yeah, our ll sounds like an sh, whereas Spaniards's D sounds like a Z, and they sure use the damn Z a lot.

5 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

Not sure which one stands out the most for me but one that maybe is more difficult than others to understand in my experience is the Argentinian accent. Then again, I know someone here from Argentina and I love her accent, almost Italian sounding.

I've got used to the one in Andalucía, in some ways it can be easier for English speakers because it's more similar to South American Spanish with pronunciation, for example, the 'Z'. And once you get used to the ways they pronounce words like 'ocupado', 'pesado' etc where they don't pronounce the 'D' it grows on you.

For me, what's more difficult to understand than accents is more the way people talk, girls in my experience tend to be easier to understand for example but in general, I think people have different styles of speaking, for example, some people mumble and hence are more difficult to understand. I don't know if I'm making sense here at all.

Spanish wise, in my experience my favourite I've come across would be the Argentian one or the Andalucían one. I could differentiate between the Spanish, Mexican, Argentinian accents but that's about it due to exposure. I don't know how different the accents are between the other South American countries for example. Then you've got the different word usage. I used to live with a Mexican and people from the south of Spain and there was this weird moment where I understood more than the Mexican because of the different use of words. I've also got a Chilean friend who was telling me how they use the word 'po' with everything as well and some other things which I've forgotten.

I don't believe there are many countries in the world that have such the variety of accents that the UK has though. 

Most common Argentine accent, Rio Platense/Porteño, sounds very similar to Italian yeah, it was very influenced by it. We also got quite a few other accents here, only people from Litoral and some from the South have a similar accent to us Porteños, and the first sound more like Uruguayans as they speak slower, than us. But you got like 8 very distinctive accents that are way more similar to that of neighbouring countries than Porteño. And also poor, marginal people (that most times are people from neighbouring countries or their descendants) sound nothing like the general population at least in Buenos Aires Metropolitan Area, and posh people living in Northern Great Buenos Aires have a distinctive accent too.

27 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

Who told you that? xD

Nobody, that's just how it sort of sounds to me xD.

16 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

The UK has tons of accents. Some are absolutely horrible but others are brilliant.

Bristol, Hull and Bolton are by far the worst. Best would be Scouse, Northern Irish, cockney and Geordie.

6 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Ah thats fair enough then, it's not so much the "S" sounding like an "H", but we do cut words in half sometimes mostly that have the letter S. So I can see why you would say that.

We also add an "ito" or "azo" to the end of every word. As for slang, we tend to end sentences with "webon" or "p"

For example, you're crazy in Peruvian Spanish can come out as "tas loco webon".

Chiquito in Peru is not as common as "chiquitito" and so on with similar words. 

You also hear the phrase "firme p" or "alucina" a lot. Actually the latter is mostly used within the richer population, who I find have a somewhat different accent to a poorer Peruvian. It's odd but listen to the 2 and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Chucha is a swear word I think only used in Peru. Bolivia might also use it but I'm not sure.

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

The UK has tons of accents. Some are absolutely horrible but others are brilliant.

Bristol, Hull and Bolton are by far the worst. Best would be Scouse, Northern Irish, cockney and Geordie.

Cockney is terrible! 

Geordie is okay as long as it's not too thick to the point of being like 'wtf did he just say' 

Same with Irish. It can sound good on women but they speak so fast sometimes you have no idea. 

• Subscriber

I'll do mine at some point. I have a weird hybrid of Grimsby (born), Leeds (live) and Sunderland (uni) at the moment as I'm very good at picking up accents and not realising.

1 minute ago, Pyfish said:

I'll do mine at some point. I have a weird hybrid of Grimsby (born), Leeds (live) and Sunderland (uni) at the moment as I'm very good at picking up accents and not realising.

So you are like a mix of Ronnie Pickering, Wearside Jack and Jud from Kes then? :ph34r:

1 hour ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

@Berserker sounds so young. That voice could pass off as a teenager's.

@Inti Brian you have a voice made for Podcasts or Radio. 

Haha, must be the English, i do think i sound quite different in Spanish, better and deeper. Here it's been the opposite, since i was like 16 i've been mistaken for someone over 40 over the phone, several times lol. I love my voice in Spanish, sounds so fucking sexy if you ask me. And now i'm unfortunately closer to the 30's than the 20's. :(

• 2 years later...
13 minutes ago, MUFC said:

When  I read posts I kind of imagine their voices. It's like I'm reading but the posters are saying the words in my head.

Should probably go see a doctor about that. :ph34r:

• Subscriber

People always try and work my accent out as being born in England and left there when I was 11 and then emigrated to Australia in the late 50s, then moved to Scotland around 1975, my accent is mixed, if I am speaking to an Australian the Aussie accent will come out speech wise and vice versa the others if I am speaking to the latter.

It's odd, as people often assume since I'm from the Southern U.S., that I'd talk like 'Gone with the Wind' or 'Sweet Home Alabama', when in fact, I just sound pretty standard American U.S. English with the occasional 'Ya'll' or 'wanna' thrown in, but definitely without the southern drawl. 

But part of my accent is certainly a reflection of having a mother from Russia, Father from south Alabama, and living/traveling often as a child, sometimes spending years in Yaroslavl, Russia and throughout Europe. 

Archived