talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Unpopular Sports opinions

football forum

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a massive fan of rugby yet living in NZ in 99 or 00 and my ex- was comatose from drinking too much and I was watching tv with my would-be-mother-in-law.

It was NZ vs Fiji.

Lomu was on the bench as was not preferred as seen as less of a player just a battering ram. Yet holding champs Fiji were threatening to run away with it 

The second half in desperation Lomu comes and my god turned into the most sensational half of rubgy I have ever seen. Lomu got three trys and the last had three large Fijians holding on to him yet he just powered over the line.

Tried finding it on the net yet could only find other highlights this is good and especially against France

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, Beelzebub said:

Sports which are more faced paced and with high frequency of scoring are better to watch live & play than their slower philosophical equals i.e badminton vs tennis, hockey vs football

Wouldn't agree with that personally. I think one thing that is good about football is that it is hard to score. It makes the goals so special. Saying that I do think basketball is ok and that is high scoring. But alot of that is the unpredictability of it. You can be ahead but then the other team has a good 5 minutes and you are behind.

1 minute ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Wouldn't agree with that personally. I think one thing that is good about football is that it is hard to score. It makes the goals so special. Saying that I do think basketball is ok and that is high scoring. But alot of that is the unpredictability of it. You can be ahead but then the other team has a good 5 minutes and you are behind.

The scoring frequency is too much in basketball, hockey is a more apt example where scoring is double of an avg football game. A lot of people are also repulsed by football because of this, 0-0 1-0 after 90 minutes, specially if they are not from places where football is an established sport.

Just now, Beelzebub said:

The scoring frequency is too much in basketball, hockey is a more apt example where scoring is double of an avg football game. A lot of people are also repulsed by football because of this, 0-0 1-0 after 90 minutes, specially if they are not from places where football is an established sport.

Well it's a subjective matter mate. But considering football is the most popular sport in the world it cant be that much of a problem for many 

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Beelzebub said:

The tennis and formula 1 calendar style of having different events of equal worth in a year is better than having World Cups in a four year cycle which most sports adopt. 

But it's two completely different things, no? The way I understand it, a World Cup in any sporting discipline is essentially the highest level of international competition where the best of the best take part to find out who is the bestest. 

I guess in case of tennis, I can at least understand the comparison, as you have individual players taking part in multiple events throughout the year, taking points and getting ranked as the result of that. Even then, those events are NOT of equal worth in terms of points. 

But as for F1, it's just one of the many racing series for a specific kind of racing cars with 20 individual drivers in 10 teams. Very closed-door and exclusive. It's not equivalent to a World Cup by any means, even if they blow their own horn by calling it a "World Championship". It's a bit like an MLB winning team calling themselves "World Champions" :ph34r:

13 minutes ago, nudge said:

But it's two completely different things, no? The way I understand it, a World Cup in any sporting discipline is essentially the highest level of international competition where the best of the best take part to find out who is the bestest. 

I guess in case of tennis, I can at least understand the comparison, as you have individual players taking part in multiple events throughout the year, taking points and getting ranked as the result of that. Even then, those events are NOT of equal worth in terms of points. 

But as for F1, it's just one of the many racing series for a specific kind of racing cars with 20 individual drivers in 10 teams. Very closed-door and exclusive. It's not equivalent to a World Cup by any means, even if they blow their own horn by calling it a "World Championship". It's a bit like an MLB winning team calling themselves "World Champions" :ph34r:

Maybe 30 years ago yes but not now - FIFA WC is the bestest of best in intl football ? you have Panama being there than Italy, its a huge spectacle but competition wise it can be very mediocre - same with other sports. Between the four year gaps in the world cups the calendar is mostly essenceless, who cares about intl football outside of tournaments ? same in Cricket. Dividing the year into seasons like summer, spring, winter and having multiple events sounds much more interesting to me.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Beelzebub said:

Maybe 30 years ago yes but not now - FIFA WC is the bestest of best in intl football ? you have Panama being there than Italy, its a huge spectacle but competition wise it can be very mediocre - same with other sports. Between the four year gaps in the world cups the calendar is mostly essenceless, who cares about intl football outside of tournaments ? same in Cricket. Dividing the year into seasons like summer, spring, winter and having multiple events sounds much more interesting to me.

Yeah, I meant the meaning of such a competition in general, not specifically what the FIFA WC or similar events of other sporting disciplines have become, haha.

I think the problem with your suggestion is the very nature of team sports, as outside of national teams, all these individual players play for clubs in domestic competitions. Having multiple international events of high value spread throughout every calendar year would probably be a huge overload.

• 1 month later...

Archived