The better place to talk football.

Unpopular Sports opinions

football forum

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Danny said:

That’s because middle class women exist

I know your post was mostly a piss take, but Field Hockey is supposedly the third most popular sport in the world after football and cricket. You can thank India and Bangladesh for that.

Just now, Spike said:

Ice hockey is very expensive to play and is exclusive geographically. 

I mean yeah, but still, the puck is harder, there’s more violence, more skill...I don’t really watch either but field hockey just seems like a lesser product

3 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

I know your post was mostly a piss take, but Field Hockey is supposedly the third most popular sport in the world after football and cricket. You can thank India and Bangladesh for that.

Yeah I’ve no experience of field hockey amongst Indians and Bangladeshis, in the UK it generally seems to be girls at university for whatever reason

We played it in school and someone “accidentally” broke someone else’s jaw. Outside of that I’ve never met anyone who plays it that doesn’t match 2 out of the following 3 criteria....female, middle class and/or attended university.

1 minute ago, Danny said:

Yeah I’ve no experience of field hockey amongst Indians and Bangladeshis, in the UK it generally seems to be girls at university for whatever reason

We played it in school and someone “accidentally” broke someone else’s jaw. Outside of that I’ve never met anyone who plays it that doesn’t match 2 out of the following 3 criteria....female, middle class and/or attended university.

You can't just say "your experience" is what doesn't make it popular. Here in Canada, people make fun of Cricket as it's an outsider sport, even with the big Indian population. That doesn't change the fact it's behind football as the second most popular sport in the world.

Just for factual proof

3. Field Hockey - 2 Billion Fans

Field hockey has an estimated global following of 2 billion fans and sees its primary sphere of influence in Europe, Africa, Asia, and Australia. The contemporary field hockey sport was first played in England in the 1800s. The game is mostly similar to soccer except that the players use sticks to drive the ball instead of feet. The sport is widely played in India, Australia, and Pakistan, whose teams are formidable on the in the sport.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/what-are-the-most-popular-sports-in-the-world.html

5 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

You can't just say "your experience" is what doesn't make it popular. Here in Canada, people make fun of Cricket as it's an outsider sport, even with the big Indian population. That doesn't change the fact it's behind football as the second most popular sport in the world.

Just for factual proof

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/what-are-the-most-popular-sports-in-the-world.html

I wasn’t arguing with you Brian

1 hour ago, Danny said:

I mean yeah, but still, the puck is harder, there’s more violence, more skill...I don’t really watch either but field hockey just seems like a lesser product

Christ, it isn't a bloody product, it's a sport. xD

1 hour ago, Danny said:

Christ, it isn't a bloody product, it's a sport. xD

This stigma around it that it's a women's sport is because if you look at countries like UK, US, Argentina where there are more brutal sports like Rugby, AF it's the norm that boys play this girls play that. In the press you regularly see and hear men playing rugby, football and cricket every day on every newspaper and sports channel - so they are traditional seen as 'mens' sports. Therefore anything which isn't those three subconsciously becomes 'not mens sport'.

P.S Never played rugby but having played football and field hockey I can say that football is the least physical and has the softest players !

6 hours ago, Spike said:

Golf has power for shots or swings whatever they are called. 

To be fair, I’ve added a good 40/50 yards to my drive through a combination of technique and club head. It had nothing to do with power. You get lads like McIlroy who are outdriving 6ft plus ‘bigger’ players and it’s all through technique and speed. The better the technique/speed/equipment combination, the further the drive. Muscle mass and strength has very little to do with it.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Azeem said:

The home advantage in Cricket is too much very close to cheating

BCCI rule forever mate. 

1 minute ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Curators should be like umpires. Impartial from an impartial nation. 

Agreed.

Isn't it the case where you could have umpires from a different nationality to  the ones playing in a match but then the 3rd umpire or match umpire is basically from the home side. Makes no sense.  

• Administrator

We also have this 'problem' about golf in the UK xD

Spare a thought for Llanymynech Golf Club

Can play resume on the course where Masters winner Ian Woosnam learned the game?

It is located between Welshpool and Oswestry, straddling the Wales/England border.

The fourth green is in England, as are the fifth and sixth holes - but the rest of the course is in Wales, where golf is still banned.

Club officials are awaiting guidance.

On 11/05/2020 at 01:15, Inti Brian said:

Badminton is better to watch than Tennis.

Come at me.

Badminton is far better for both playing and watching. I could probably do both for longer than I could with football.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, tlr said:

Badminton is far better for both playing and watching. I could probably do both for longer than I could with football.

Yes I love badminton. Used to play much more than I do now but I find it more energetic and entertaining than playing tennis. Enjoy watching both (badminton & tennis) though.

I also think of darts, snooker etc as games, not that that is a bad thing. Anything Andy Fordham or Stephen Lee can be proficient in isn't a sport.

Golf and motorsport are borderline for me, can see both arguments.

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Yes I love badminton. Used to play much more than I do now but I find it more energetic and entertaining than playing tennis. Enjoy watching both (badminton & tennis) though.

Not played in years now but I still remember the proper buzz I had with it, never got that when I tried most other sports.

I always struggled with tennis for some reason.

6 hours ago, tlr said:

I used to play Badminton as well, but I didn't mention that as its far more common to be playing it than watching I've noticed.

Sports like badminton, field hockey like I've mentioned are faster paced and have less stop and play, players have to show skills more often than their similar sports like tennis, football. There can be periods of dull play in tennis and football but rarely in these sports so it's understandable why some would find these sports more fun to play or watch.

Archived