Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Lancashire or Leicestershire?

Out of these two counties, which would you say is best to live in and offers the best quality of life overall?

Godmanchester just for the pronunciation. 

Leicestershire. There are some really beautiful spots in rural parts of the county. Good links to the rest of the country by train or road as well. 

The city centre is a bit shit, has gone a bit downhill since recession in 2008 though. Nightlife isn't the best.

Probably one of the most diverse counties in the country. Not sure what the make up of Lancashire is? 

The sporting capital of UK though. Most of the sporting areas are in the same area - Rugby, football and cricket grounds aren't far from each other. Don't need to talk about the cricket ;)

6 hours ago, Inti Brian said:

Godmanchester just for the pronunciation. 

That's in Cambridgeshire but well done for trying :D

1 minute ago, Stan said:

That's in Cambridgeshire but well done for trying :D

It's stupidly pronounced though. If Americans thought Leicester was weird, wait til they hear Godmanchester.

9 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

It's stupidly pronounced though. If Americans thought Leicester was weird, wait til they hear Godmanchester.

I don't think it's that stupid? 

Places that end in 'cester' are notoriously difficult for foreigners though - Worcester, Towcester, Leicester, Gloucester, Bicester... 

Just now, Stan said:

I don't think it's that stupid? 

Places that end in 'cester' are notoriously difficult for foreigners though - Worcester, Towcester, Leicester, Gloucester, Bicester... 

Godmanchester being "Gumster" is absolutely silly.

I am guilty of getting Leicester wrong the first time, but I was more "lie-chester" rather than "le-sester".

16 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

Godmanchester being "Gumster" is absolutely silly.

I am guilty of getting Leicester wrong the first time, but I was more "lie-chester" rather than "le-sester".

Gumster?! 

It's literally God and Manchester with a softer 'a' sound in the first part of Manchester. 

Just now, Stan said:

Gumster?! 

It's literally God and Manchester with a softer 'a' sound in the first part of Manchester. 

A brit told me that it was "gumster" and I know he's not lying because theres articles on the web telling you how it's actually pronounced "Gumster".

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-Godmanchester-pronounced-as-ɡʌmstə-r

Although after some more research, it works both ways. What you said is the modern pronunciation and "gumster" is the traditional one. The latter makes it silly for me.

6 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Woolfardisworthy will blow your mind.

Woolsery.

What

4 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

A brit told me that it was "gumster" and I know he's not lying because theres articles on the web telling you how it's actually pronounced "Gumster".

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-Godmanchester-pronounced-as-ɡʌmstə-r

Although after some more research, it works both ways. What you said is the modern pronunciation and "gumster" is the traditional one. The latter makes it silly for me.

Anyone pronouncing it Gumster is wrong. 

A Brit is now telling you it's Godmanchester. Quora knows fuck all xD

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Stan said:

Anyone pronouncing it Gumster is wrong. 

A Brit is now telling you it's Godmanchester. Quora knows fuck all xD

e2d45cf2613d4724a60fbf5693652bef.png

https://metro.co.uk/2016/08/04/19-british-place-names-youve-been-mispronouncing-your-entire-life-6046790/

ced827e39a707154b6ef7704616d2013.jpg

I did some research (not just Quora). Like I said, it apparently works both ways. So I believe you. The traditional way to say it though is "gumster" according to many sources. The modern way is what you said it.

@Stan apparently the sign of the town tells you the pronunciation.

d71e99b506e12d2fa26c00d749ecc2d8.png

20 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

@Stan apparently the sign of the town tells you the pronunciation.

d71e99b506e12d2fa26c00d749ecc2d8.png

Photo-shopped.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Photo-shopped.

I honestly wish I had those photoshop skills xD

I was seriously looking at moving to Godmanchester in 2018. 

Who is this CityIsTheBest then? Got to be a parody. 

Just now, DeadLinesman said:

Nice Googling.

Yeah, hence why I said "what" xD

Carlisle has a cool little castle. And a pizza express. 

@Inti Brian try Barnoldwick, Milngavie or Slaithwaite. Endless examples like that in the UK.

Forgot to say that I've only been to Lancashire once (to Blackpool, for a wedding. Is that Lancs?) so it's difficult to compare. 

It was wet. It was windy. We got drenched walking about 2 mins from hotel to wedding venue so that was not fun.

The pier and the beach was decent the next morning though.

Blackpool is Lancashire and it's an absolute hovel.

I am biased as Lancashire is the finest place on earth (Blackpool excepted), however I have always found Leicester to be a decent enough city and there are some lovely towns around that area too. Bit of a forgotten part of the country I think around there.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Inverted said:

Carlisle has a cool little castle. And a pizza express. 

That's Cumbria. In terms of the towns up there, all dull little places with nothing there and no life. But the plus side is all the mountains, lakes and natural beauty is up there which makes it one of the nicer parts of the country.

Lancashire is shit though really.

Preston - horrible city. 

Blackburn, Darwen, Accrington, Clitheroe, etc - grim.

Chorley, Leyland, etc - horrible

Burnley, Nelson, etc - grim, dead end places

Blackpool, Morecambe, Fleetwood, etc - Full of nonces.

Bolton and Wigan - dead end

Lancaster - "cleaner" than the rest of these and does have some brilliant medevil architecture but dull, dead end, nothing to it.

Warrington - Actually a nice little town, but boring(if it's even classed as Lancashire)

I suppose you could say the same for alot of the country though really. There aren't many great cities or towns that blow you away. The natural beauty, forests, countryside, etc are the main positives really. 

The South East and South West are the nicest parts of the country by miles and you sort of feel like you're in a different country in summer due to the weather and how grass and trees are a much nicer, bright green colour. Also the most expensive parts to live though. 

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

That's Cumbria. In terms of the towns up there, all dull little places with nothing there and no life. But the plus side is all the mountains, lakes and natural beauty is up there which makes it one of the nicer parts of the country.

Lancashire is shit though really.

Preston - horrible city. 

Blackburn, Darwen, Accrington, Clitheroe, etc - grim.

Chorley, Leyland, etc - horrible

Burnley, Nelson, etc - grim, dead end places

Blackpool, Morecambe, Fleetwood, etc - Full of nonces.

Bolton and Wigan - dead end

Lancaster - "cleaner" than the rest of these and does have some brilliant medevil architecture but dull, dead end, nothing to it.

Warrington - Actually a nice little town, but boring(if it's even classed as Lancashire)

I suppose you could say the same for alot of the country though really. There aren't many great cities or towns that blow you away. The natural beauty, forests, countryside, etc are the main positives really. 

The South East and South West are the nicest parts of the country by miles and you sort of feel like you're in a different country in summer due to the weather and how grass and trees are a much nicer, bright green colour. Also the most expensive parts to live though. 

Lancashire's nicest part has always been the Ribble Valley and Forest of Bowland and that way on, nice little towns and villages and obviously lovely countryside, more like an extension of the Lake District or Yorkshire Fells I guess. Only really there and the posher bits towards Blackpool feel like desirable places to live.

The smaller old mill towns are dismal. Nelson is genuinely horrific, and I mean that. Awful shithole of a place. Accy I am told is just dead these days, Stanley might honestly be the only thing going for it. Bacup, Rossendale etc is just a no man's land, fuck knows how you live there. Preston is just unremarkable. Blackburn seems to have fared better than most but only because of its size and all the regeneration money thrown at it. Still full of smack heads and chavs mind.

And despite all that, I still miss it. xD

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, tlr said:

Lancashire's nicest part has always been the Ribble Valley and Forest of Bowland and that way on, nice little towns and villages and obviously lovely countryside, more like an extension of the Lake District or Yorkshire Fells I guess. Only really there and the posher bits towards Blackpool feel like desirable places to live.

The smaller old mill towns are dismal. Nelson is genuinely horrific, and I mean that. Awful shithole of a place. Accy I am told is just dead these days, Stanley might honestly be the only thing going for it. Bacup, Rossendale etc is just a no man's land, fuck knows how you live there. Preston is just unremarkable. Blackburn seems to have fared better than most but only because of its size and all the regeneration money thrown at it. Still full of smack heads and chavs mind.

And despite all that, I still miss it. xD

Lancashire people are probably the best though, including the likes of Liverpool and Manchester. Making friends is easy up north in general.

The problem is just how little there is to do and how dull the towns are up here. 

I agree about the bowland area. I actually go fishing up that way and to anyone who has never been there, they would probably be in awe of it. 

• Upvote 1

Let’s be honest Leicester and Leicestershire is one of those places you forget exists

• Haha 1

Is Liverpool and Manchester coming under Lancashire?

Just now, Danny said:

Is Liverpool and Manchester coming under Lancashire?

If you go off the old Lancashire map they are

4859aac75b9e72a9c5c695bdc6f615ad.gif