• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Nelson Semedo - Leaves Barca for Wolves

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

What are Barca doing?!

Semedo is quality and this leaves them short at RB. Juve had a lot of pulling power these days. 

Wonder if this has been engineered by player more so than usual...

• The title was changed to Nelson Semedo to Juve/Pjanci & De Sciglio to Barca
  • The title was changed to Nelson Semedo to Juve/Pjanic & De Sciglio to Barca
19 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Has Arthur lived up to expectations? I know many claims he showed similarities to Xavi. 

So we know he is a talented landscaper. Do we know anything about his footballing ability?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Administrator

Signs for Wolves.

Ridiculously good purchase for them. Huge improvement on Doherty and could be one of the buys of the season. Plucked from Barcelona!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54262570

Wolves have signed Portuguese right-back Nelson Semedo from Barcelona in a deal that could be worth £37m.

Manager Nuno Espirito Santo had been seeking a replacement for Matt Doherty, who moved to Premier League rivals Tottenham last month.

"It isn't often that we have the opportunity to sign a world-class player from a world-class club," said Wolves executive chairman Jeff Shi.

Semedo, 26, has played 124 times for Barca and won 13 Portugal caps.

Barcelona said the deal is an initial 30m euros (£27.61m) plus 10m euros "in variables".

Semedo, who has signed a contract until 2023, is the third permanent signing by Wolves during this transfer window, following the arrival of Fabio Silva from Porto and Ki-Jana Hoever from Liverpool.

If Wolves pay the full £37m then Semedo would become the club's record signing, eclipsing the £35.6m they paid for Silva.

When asked why he chose to join Wolves, the defender told the club website: "Last year they did a very good season and it's a very important team in England, in also Europe. I hope this year we can do very good things.

"Coach Nuno is a very good coach. He did very good things here in Wolves, and in other teams too. For sure I'm going to learn a lot from him."

• The title was changed to Nelson Semedo - Leaves Barca for Wolves
  • Administrator

I'm going to be the nay sayer here, but he was fucking garbage towards the end of last season. The Bayern defeat in particular, he didn't look up for it at all, went missing and from what I've read and heard Barcelona were extremely disappointed in him in general. He has the attributes to be a very good player but there's a whiff of Jose Bosingwa about him, I think they'd have been better off retaining Doherty. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Stan said:

Signs for Wolves.

Ridiculously good purchase for them. Huge improvement on Doherty and could be one of the buys of the season. Plucked from Barcelona!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54262570

Whaaaaat?

Semedo was awful last year, truly awful. Doherty has consistently been one of the best full backs in the league since Wolves were promoted. To sell Doc for 15 mill and sign Semedo for double that is a bit whiffy to be honest 

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, Storts said:

Whaaaaat?

Semedo was awful last year, truly awful. Doherty has consistently been one of the best full backs in the league since Wolves were promoted. To sell Doc for 15 mill and sign Semedo for double that is a bit whiffy to be honest 

I might have exaggerated a bit xD

I just rate Semedo a lot. He struggled with injuries last season hence probably why he wasn't as good as previous seasons. But with how Wolves play and Semedo's style of play as well I can see it being a very good season too.

Probably been a bit harsh on Doherty tbh as I thought he was very good at Wolves. 

• Subscriber

This is a Nuno purchase. He wants someone who comes from a place where they play more attacking football and Barcelona probably jumped at the idea of offloading Semedo as he hasn't really performed for them. With the sale of players like Jota and Doherty they need players who can replace those positions and grow into them. Nuno also has a small but good rep of working well with Portuguese players so this might be something Semedo will flourish with when he starts playing with them. 

The only true winner here from a financial stand-point is Barcelona as they are doing some serious unloading this transfer window.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

This is a Nuno purchase. He wants someone who comes from a place where they play more attacking football and Barcelona probably jumped at the idea of offloading Semedo as he hasn't really performed for them. With the sale of players like Jota and Doherty they need players who can replace those positions and grow into them. Nuno also has a small but good rep of working well with Portuguese players so this might be something Semedo will flourish with when he starts playing with them. 

The only true winner here from a financial stand-point is Barcelona as they are doing some serious unloading this transfer window.

Which they have to do to afford other players. I wonder if we'll see Wijnaldum moving there now that Barca have some funds. 

• Subscriber
24 minutes ago, Stan said:

Which they have to do to afford other players. I wonder if we'll see Wijnaldum moving there now that Barca have some funds. 

I think we wont see him go in this transfer window. They still have to get much lower in the salary bracket from the RFEF but if they can offload Suarez it might happen but I think it will be too late by then.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I think we wont see him go in this transfer window. They still have to get much lower in the salary bracket from the RFEF but if they can offload Suarez it might happen but I think it will be too late by then.

Suarez is on the way to Atletico isn't he? Think he left earlier apparently crying as he drove off...

That must be a huge chunk off the wage bill in order to afford Wijnaldum...

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Stan said:

Suarez is on the way to Atletico isn't he? Think he left earlier apparently crying as he drove off...

That must be a huge chunk off the wage bill in order to afford Wijnaldum...

Isn't there some weird ruling that the RFEF need to formalize the transfers for the books to be considered clear? Griezmann had a similar issue when he went from Atletico to Barcelona and the funds hadn't been cleared till he visited the RFEF offices to clear them. I'd imagine if all that paperwork is cleared then Barcelona can and probably will go for Gini.

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked

Archived