talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Audiobooks

football forum

• Subscriber

As an avid reader who has little time to read regular books these days, audiobooks are a game changer for me, especially since I can usually listen to them while working. 

Anyone else a fan? What are your favourite ones? What companies/narrators do you like best and which ones do you tend to avoid?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Never tried them but I would imagine they are a good alternative but for me at my age retired and not woking I love lying in bed with no noise or disturbance and read a good book, which I will be doing shortly.

• Subscriber
20 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Never tried them but I would imagine they are a good alternative but for me at my age retired and not woking I love lying in bed with no noise or disturbance and read a good book, which I will be doing shortly.

17 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Just read up on them, I imagine it will be like lying in bed or on the sofa with headphones on listening to music, they sound ok, like listening to a good story on the radio. 

Depends on what you read, some of them are very much like a radio drama indeed, with added music and sound effects. Some are even full cast audiobooks, meaning that you get a different voice for each character, and when done right, it's absolutely amazing! I usually listen to scifi, fantasy and Star Wars books as they make for an entertaining easy listening, so perfect during work. There are others that have no added stuff, just the narrator reading the book. Some are better than others (and a bad narrator absolutely ruins it), I also like the ones that are narrated by the authors themselves... Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything is a good example. 

I wish I had more time to read actual books, but I don't anymore :( 

• Subscriber

Lying in bed now reading a Lee Child - Jack Reacher book, Personal, if I wanted a voice reading it to me then it would have had to be like Liam Neeson as whenever I picture Reacher I visualise Neeson.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Lying in bed now reading a Lee Child - Jack Reacher book, Personal, if I wanted a voice reading it to me then it would have had to be like Liam Neeson as whenever I picture Reacher I visualise Neeson.

I'm seriously considering to take a few weeks off work, go to one of the remote islands and spend the time there eating fresh seafood and fruits, drinking, and just laying in a hammock on the beach and reading :D 

• Subscriber

I love a good audiobook. They're very good for when you just want an escape but don't have the time to grab a book or your eReader.

I'm actually signed up to an agency for voice 'artists' so I regularly get called upon to audition to voice the books. They're often non-fiction like cookery books and stuff but the occasional one is a proper fiction story and they're quite fun to audition for. I tend to do the straight read ones where I don't have to voice a million characters in one go. 

Archived