talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Your Top 10 Video Games?

football forum

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

What I loved about it was how addictive it was... The gameplay was excellent for it's time.. I remember trying to stick it to the rider next to me right from the off hoping to gain advantage.. xD Quality stuff

I also remember that some of the competing racers acually held grudges if you knocked them off their bikes and seeked revenge xD Thought that was very realistic... 

Also kicking your opponents into oncoming cars was one of the best tactics ever xD 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

I remember these on the PSX version. 

The main two I remember was being handcuffed to the back of a cop car and the car drives off with you dragged behind (if arrested) or a car taking you clean out and the driver getting out of his car........ to move your corpse and the bike out of the way to drive off (if wrecked). xD

I just watched them all on youtube xD 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, nudge said:

I loved Boardwalk Empire! :D Well wasn't much of a fan of the last seasons, but really enjoyed it overall. And I agree about the atmosphere! 

Have you played The Godfather? The atmosphere there was really really well done too, felt like taking part in the actual movie.

I still maintain season 2 was one of the top couple seasons of anything Ive ever seen. I actually never finished it though, it lost me in the last couple seasons I think I got 3 or 4 into the final season and finally gave up. 

I have not played that one, Ill have to check it out then. 

4 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Diablo 2 has a very special place in the list of games I played. I couldn't understand what the fascination was at first but then I just kept playing it and it grew on me. So many many hours spent here.

I dont know how deep you went on it but I remember there where was a bug where you could mass level characters from like 1-90 in a matter of an hour or so. I pvp'd alot, I think that was one of the major draws for me. My first entrance into PVP and smack talking and camping people xD

29 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I seem to remember that you had to also think very differently when driving them because you're so used to driving cars a particular way but that game turns that on its head too. It is not an easy game by an stretch of the imagination.

I also remember playing F-Zero and thinking what a PITA it was to play when it first came out and the GC version was very good as well. Shame they never did something for the Switch.

Yeah, that was another thing which was great about the games as well. Every vehicle handled differently depending on what you were given. Dump trucks were slow as shit while drag racers were much quicker. Boats would handle differently on the water than cars on the road, while helicopters had to be moved up and down to avoid obstacles. Fighter jets were just so damn fast that you simply crashed into a wall. xD

I admit that I never played F-Zero on the Gamecube. Loved the N64 version though. 

27 minutes ago, nudge said:

I just watched them all on youtube xD 

Great aren't they? xD

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Great aren't they? xD

Fantastic, still as cool as they were back then xD I wonder, does the game work on Windows 10?... 

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, nudge said:

The gameplay of Mafia 2 was indeed a bit bland... I was still happy with it though because in games like that I tend to spend a lot of time just driving around listening to a great soundtrack xD It relaxes me! Also the setting was really well done, I thought.

Ok so disregard what i said I was just thinking about it and im like wait a minute there was a 3rd installment. Mafia 1 and 2 where both great and thats what made me preorder 3.... Its definitely 3 I was thinking of and I erased that piece of shit from my memory. 

• Subscriber

In no order as i'm as indecisive as @Bluebird Hewitt  I choose the series rather than just 1 when picking games and films.:x

Call of Duty: Black Ops. One of the most complete  and greatest shooting games of all time and eaaaassily the best Call of Duty game. I have usually preferred Battlefield when it comes to shooting games but this tops my list. I also got to 4th in the world on Zombies at one point. After playing for for around 12 hours.

Goldeneye 007. This is on the list for what it meant for my childhood and love of gaming. An all time classic, i'd love to play an official remastered version. I recently played it when i bought an N64 but it wasn't the same. 

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and San Andreas.  I have completed every GTA game and these 2 are my favourite. All te GTA games are just next level in terms of what you can do, and usually revolutionary and record breaking in their respective eras.I really like 5 and people still play it today online, but i wasn't interested in the Online play. I completed the game which i'd have just after these 2 in terms of favourite.

Assassins Creed games.(1-4 in particular) I still play these games today, and i am mastering (again) the Ezio trilogy collection of games. My favourite of these games are the first 4 games.They're still enjoyable after that, and i've completed them all other than the 2 newest games. Such fun enjoyable games with great stories and the detail is amazing.

Super Mario 64. Played this recently and still enjoyable. So many hours spent on this as a kid, and another definitive game in history. I love all the Mario games but this is the best.

Super Smash Bros. Melee. When i first got my Gamecube this game came with it, and myyyyyy god what a game. All the Smash Bro games are great but this is the best nd most fun i had playing one of them. I really do need to play Smash Bro Ultimate the most recent one i just don't have the console for it :( 

Prince of Persia: Sands of time series. These were out before the Assassins Creed games were made, and i enjoyed them for similar reasons. So many hours played and hidden locations and puzzles and riddles and tricky encounters. One of those games like AC where you have to really think. It's not just plain simple fighting. The games in particular were Sands of time and Warrior Within.

Street fighter 2 Turbo.  I can't remember why this was different from street fighter 2 but this game in particular i have very very very good memories of. One of the first games i played religiously with my old man when i was a young kid. Such fun times. And it's still played competitively to this day. Timeless.

Only 8 for there now, but technically more than 8, as i've grouped a few selections. I'm also hangry and can't think any longer! Dinner time.

• 2 months later...

Just did a favorites list, as there's no real way to objectively rank games. In no particular order:

Mass Effect trilogy

Treating it as one game as I can't really pick a favorite, and it's all part of a continuous story anyway. This was just an excellent combination of some of the best storytelling in video game history, as well as seriously great gameplay to go along with it. You really develop a bond with the supporting characters, and some of the choices you have to make are just heartbreaking. The in-game universe (haha) they created and its lore are just so deep and mysterious for an original IP. Honestly one of the best science fiction universes out there.

Elder Scrolls Online

It's an MMO and therefore by definition plagued by continuous issues regarding performance, balance, etc. But even with all that, there's just something magical about having a fully voice-acted rendition of Tamriel that you can share with your friends. I've barely touched the single player games after getting hooked on ESO, and even after playing it non-stop for years, there's always new stuff to discover. I'm focusing on PVP during the current patch and it's a real blast. As said, it's far from perfect, but as my most-played game of all time, it deserves a place on the list.

Life is Strange: Before the Storm

While I enjoyed the original Life is Strange game, I was still very much on the fence about its writing. Dialogue seemed awkward, morally grey characters were few and inbetween, and the writers just tried to shoehorn as many controversial topics into each episode as possible. Its prequel, Before the Storm, is where this series really shines. It was created and written by a different (American) developer, and you can really notice how much more grounded the dialogue and characters feel. Much more attention is given to the emotional development of/between the characters, and the characters themselves feel a lot more ambiguous and multifaceted than in the original. At its core it is a teen drama, but the way in which it deals with relatable topics such as losing a lost one, losing touch with old friends, sudden infatuation with someone you've just met, and trying to make things work with people you don't necessarily like -- it was just surprising to me how maturely those were handled in a video game. If I have one complaint, it's that it's written so differently from the original that it becomes hard to see the games as a continuous story. If you can cope with the inherent awkwardness of video game storytelling, it's definitely something that'll have an impact on you one way or the other. Oh, and the soundtrack is second to none.

Mario Kart Wii

By now there's more balanced, more technically refined karting games out there, but it's still such a joy to go back to Mario Kart Wii. To me, it was the first game in the series that really hit the nail on the head, offering plenty of tracks, unlockables and options. I also liked that they switched out the annoying mini-boost system of MK64 and MKDD for a simpler, less intrusive system. While the item distribution could get out of hand at times, I also feel like MKW was a very skill-based game, and actually sitting down and learning how to tackle each track really paid off in terms of performance. Just avoid the motion controls.

Jazz Jackrabbit 2

Immortal 2D platformer. A lot of the reason I like this game is pure nostalgia, but it actually holds up quite well for a game that's older than some of our members. It was slower-paced, a bit less ADHD than its predecessor, while also having some great level design and aesthetics. Multiplayer was pretty fun as well, and with a userfriendly level editor, there's an infinite supply of content.

STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl

It's one of those games that's just buggy and broken as hell but has too much charm to ignore. The atmosphere of this game was just through the roof, perfectly capturing what a post-apocalyptic Eastern Europe would feel like. How it subtly introduced the supernatural aspect also made it a truly frightening game in places. There's just a charm about this game that was not present in the sequels, nor in games that take place in similar settings, like Metro. How such a buggy and silly game could be so immersive is a testament to how great it was.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Kind of an obligatory inclusion on 'best of/favorite' lists, but it's justified. I played Ocarina of Time shortly after it was originally released, and the game just blew my mind. Super Mario 64 had already done the pioneering work by providing a fully 3D-rendered sandboxy world, but Ocarina of Time enriched it with the RPG and storytelling elements to really make the world come to life. In a way, this was my first true 3D sandbox experience. The actual game design was solid as could be, and I don't think Nintendo could've done a better job transitioning Zelda to a 3D environment.

Paper Mario

One of my first proper experiences with an RPG and it was amazing. The writing was great, the gameplay struck the right balance between intuitivity and depth, and the whole paper/storybook design was just so charming. I still need to go back and replay this sometime, as the 2/3 times I've completed it have all been a blast.

Crysis

Back in the day it was often dismissed as a 'glorified tech demo', and while it was and still is an amazing technical feat, the gameplay has always been way underrated. It offered an amazing 'limited sand box', in which you followed a relatively linear path, but the game still offered you tons of options to tackle challenges in whichever way you saw fit. With the addition of mild 'superpowers' such as invisibility and extra strength, it made for a perfect playground to just fuck up enemies in countless different ways. It was a spiritual successor to Far Cry, and it is telling that Ubisoft arguably didn't get on this level with their attempts at making Far Cry sequels until FC5. A game that deserves to be remembered for more than just its fancy graphics.

American Truck Simulator

Sometimes I just need to relax, okay?

3 minutes ago, Panflute said:

Just did a favorites list, as there's no real way to objectively rank games. In no particular order:

Mario Kart Wii

By now there's more balanced, more technically refined karting games out there, but it's still such a joy to go back to Mario Kart Wii. To me, it was the first game in the series that really hit the nail on the head, offering plenty of tracks, unlockables and options. I also liked that they switched out the annoying mini-boost system of MK64 and MKDD for a simpler, less intrusive system. While the item distribution could get out of hand at times, I also feel like MKW was a very skill-based game, and actually sitting down and learning how to tackle each track really paid off in terms of performance. Just avoid the motion controls.

I agree with the part in bold as @Panflute can clearly back up when we played against each other. :(

• Subscriber
On 15/08/2020 at 03:59, Toinho said:

1. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Then everything else. 

So i just started playing this again Im really on the fence. I made it about 3-4 hours in the first time around years ago and stopped but im giving it another go. Im having a hard time getting into it still yet again im not sure ill make it through. The mechanics are just so unfluid for lack of a better word, everything feels akward from Geralt's movement to the combat mechanics (my god theyre bad) to getting on and off your horse. Il keep trying because the cut scenes and the story are interesting enough and I loved the series. Alot of people I trust have very high opinions of the game but i dont know man.

Archived