• The title was changed to FINAL - Wednesday 24th May - Ajax vs Man Utd
  • Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Head - Manchester United

Heart - Ajax

This. 

Like I just mentioned in another thread, I totally expect Mourinho "the legendary special one" to sit back and bore every viewer off and get a 1-0 win on counter over an exciting ajax team. 

Should be interesting. The master of the parked bus against the only team that plays Cruyffian football right now

I think United will win to be honest, I have thought that for a while now too ( that they would win the whole thing ), but I hope Ajax pull of a win. Their style of football definitely deserves it! 

Similarly to Real Madrid, Manchester United will find a way even if it's going against them.

I'd love Ajax to do it, great club and be nice to see a club outside of the now 'elite leagues' win it. Think Manchester United will win it more comfortably than some think though, Ajax nearly capitulated last night, I fancy a 2-0.

Wouldn't write Ajax off here.

Man United haven't been totally convincing in the last rounds and they will be under huge pressure by the time this game comes around if they don't make the top four.

This game is the for the football purists and a game against 2 giant teams with a rich history whose fortunes have changed due to the commercial side and benefits from the money that modern day football brings and one team has always relied on its own principles throughout its whole history to bring players through its own club and this is how they have managed to survived.   

Anyone can win a one off game, for Ajax they have nothing to lose, they will become the youngest team ever to win a European cup plus they are playing a team that are the biggest spending power in the world plus they have the most expensive player in the World.  Ajax's most expensive player currently in their team is 10.2 million Euros  David Neres,  80% of the current Ajax team have come from the youth team, this is even more incredible than the team in 1995 because football was more equal back then.   In today's football world it is unheard of that a team has 1 or 2 players come up from the youth let alone 80% of the squad unless it is Barcelona,  this shows you the incredible work Johan Cruyff has done at Ajax over the years behind the scenes, to make Ajax back to how it was famous for. 

Haven't really seen anything of Ajax to know how decent they are but credit to them for making the final. Been wanting to see them come back to the top platform ever since they were a force in the early years of the Champions League with Kluivert, Davids, Overmars, De Boer, Seedorf, Rijkaard, Van Der Sar, Litmanen etc. They were utterly brilliant to watch.

The only thing I would say in their favour is, Man U haven't had to play anyone with any pedigree or quality in this competition and have somehow managed to make a meal out of it every round to the point they have just scraped through. I've always felt the moment they come up against a side that is quality, they would get found out. If Ajax really have the weapons to hurt Man U and play with no fear, they could do it.

That said, usually when the free flowing side that scores goals and leaks goals play the solid defensive minded side, the latter comes out on top. Just think the inexperience of Ajax could be their downfall but here's hoping they win for the purists.

On a sidenote, with only a 10k allocation for each club and fans desperate for tickets, this has the potential to be a right old kick off in the neutral areas.

Ajax will probably let this slip based on their poorly organised defence, but they have a shot if they actually take the chances they create. They could've scored 8 times in their first match against Lyon, and even in the second leg they missed a few 99% chances.

Ahh, fuck it, 3-2 for Ajax.

• Subscriber

Mourinho has now put all his eggs in this basket and I highly doubt he's going to make it easy for Ajax to play the kind of football that they do. I'd love Ajax to lift it all but I can't see that happening when you give a guy like Jose enough time to prep for the final. With him totally deserting the league now he's going to have this United squad well prepped for the finals. They'll lift the cup in the end I think.

The biggest thing I fear for Ajax is stage fright, that they might freeze now they are in the final due to having such a young team.   They need to somehow forget they are in the final and play like they have done at home, with high pressing, high tempo attacking football.  The Ajax coach will be the most important person I believe in this game as depending what tactics he decides to do, if he starts of cautious it will suit man Utd, Ajax just need to do what they have been doing in a one off game they will have a great chance.

I expect Man Utd to win, but it would be cool to see Ajax winning this; a club from outside one of the 'big 4' leagues, and one of grand old clubs of European football rolling back the glory years. 

Man Utd are arguably one of the biggest underachievers in European club football actually. For a club of their size, financial power and standing, 4 major European trophies in their cabinet is actually a relatively poor return, especially compared to the number that other European giants have won. But if they win as expected, they will become the first English club to have won every major competition/trophy. 

Arsenal are up there as well, with 13 English league titles and 12 FA Cups, but in Europe just 1 Inter-City Fairs Cup and 1 Cup Winners' Cup in their cabinet. 

Mourinho has a 11-2 record in major cup finals, his only defeats came with Porto whey lost the 2004 Portuguese Cup final to Benfica in extra-time (they soon got over that by winning the Champions League 10 days later), and with RM when they lost the 2013 Copa Del Rey final in extra-time to Atleti. 

• The title was changed to FINAL - Wednesday 24th May - Ajax 0-2 Man Utd
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived