talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FINAL - Wednesday 24th May - Ajax 0-2 Man Utd

Just now, Danny said:

United didn't play Ajax's u18's, they played their first team, there is no comparison with United's youth side. It's been Ajax's prerogative to play with such a young team.

United had their best youth player out there Rashford and he done nothing but dive agaisnt Ajaxs best youth player de Ligt.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, VanPanna said:

United had their best youth player out there Rashford and he done nothing but dive agaisnt Ajaxs best youth player de Ligt.

United's best youth player just won a trophy.

3 minutes ago, Danny said:

United didn't play Ajax's u18's, they played their first team, there is no comparison with United's youth side. It's been Ajax's prerogative to play with such a young team.

So the comment would only be worth something if they were playing against 8 year olds?

Ajax use a side of that age because they get raped by clubs like United and others like them.  It's what they have and they got to the final without too many issues using a side that United or their coach could never do.  That's the way it is really.

Just now, SirBalon said:

So the comment would only be worth something if they were playing against 8 year olds?

Ajax use a side of that age because they get raped by clubs like United and others like them.  It's what they have and they got to the final without too many issues using a side that United or their coach could never do.  That's the way it is really.

Your comment would have been worth something if Ajax's u18's got to the final of this competition, but they they didn't. Their first team did.

I have no idea what you're rambling on about on the second paragraph.

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

Mensah  who was stole from Ajax was on the uniteds bench, played like 3 games this season. He would of played right back and already 60 games to his name at Ajax, probably an even better player then he is now. 

4 minutes ago, Danny said:

Your comment would have been worth something if Ajax's u18's got to the final of this competition

It would've been worth even more than something with that.  On it's own my comment is worth quite a bit considering how football is and the side (club) Ajax faced.

33 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Yep...  United probably haven't played a side like that in the league they participate in where clubs spend stupid amounts of money mate.  They probably play a side like that in training against their youth setups. 

Ask yourself this question...  Would United have got to the final with a a side from their youth setups matching those ages throughout?

I think you're missing the point mate.

I have a lot of respect for Ajax and what they are and represent but I'm solely talking about that 90 minutes of football where Man United were the better team, nothing else. I'm not talking about resources or anything like that, or identity, or youth players, just two sides playing against each other. I thought Ajax were poor tonight and Man United performed better in 90 minutes of football (regardless of the manner in which they did it).

I also thought the best two players on the pitch were Sánchez and De Ligt to perform how well they did playing a high line against someone with Rashford's pace was class.

My original point was how I think it's poor how people (in this case the pundits on BT tonight for example and others), use inexperience to explain why Ajax lost, it's poor in my opinion, it's cop out / black and white analysis. I don't like how people act that mistakes young players / young teams make are solely because they are too young and inexperienced. An older player can make the same mistake in a game for example, so what does that make him? Too old?

I just wanted to come in here and say Ajax played in a naive way and Mounrinho played in his typical unimpressive way with usual results but I see you guys have moved on to a more embarrassing and more entertaining conversation...

Some of the Ajax players looked visibly nervous when they walked on to the pitch before the kick-off I thought, just like some of the Valencia players did when they faced Real Madrid in the 2000 CL final. They didn't do themselves justice yesterday, but of course they can be proud of their run to the final with such a young, attack-minded team.

Hopefully they make it in the Champions League group stages next season (after losing to Rostov in this season's qualifying round) and do themselves justice in the group stage. 

Man Utd never looked in much danger and it was a comfortable win for them. Despite their poor league performance, I think that you can say they have had a successful season now, with a direct entry in the CL group stages and 2 major trophies. They've certainly had a better season than Man City or Liverpool that's for sure. Mourinho now has a 12-2 record in major cup finals. 

I said the same thing over the past of couple of years when it affected Sevilla, but I personally think that a direct entry into the CL group is an excessive reward for winning the Europa League. I think that the winners should instead 'only' enter at the qualifying round stage.

It was very comfortable for United as i suspected it to be, players that are worth millions against kids was obviously never gonna work. To be honest expected Ajax to create decent chances but they were very limited to very little. If they don't sell the team in the summer they have a potential to create a good team. Jose probably wanked himself to sleep, he won the as the United fans used to say the Mickey Mouse cup double. 

5 hours ago, True Blue said:

It was very comfortable for United as i suspected it to be, players that are worth millions against kids was obviously never gonna work. To be honest expected Ajax to create decent chances but they were very limited to very little. If they don't sell the team in the summer they have a potential to create a good team. Jose probably wanked himself to sleep, he won the as the United fans used to say the Mickey Mouse cup double. 

Yea its a shame that the occasion got to Ajax, but what do you expect when they have 17-20 year olds in their standing line up.  I think making any final with this kind of setup is an achievement in itself, Ajax probably had a better overall tournament then Man Utd but the experience in the final did win it over. 

Ajax Amsterdam coach Peter Bosz was disappointed by his team's performance in their 2-0 defeat by Manchester United in Wednesday's Europa League final, but vowed to learn from United's physical display and come back stronger.

Jose Mourinho's more experienced side overpowered Ajax across the 90 minutes, conceding possession but denying their opponents the space they needed to play their passing game.

"Obviously I'm disappointed, because you play finals to win them," Bosz told a news conference at the Friends Arena.

"We didn't, and I haven't seen the Ajax that I'm used to, which means playing good football, high pressing and being dominant."

Ajax went behind to a deflected Paul Pogba shot in the 18th minute after losing the ball from their own throw-in.

It was an uphill battle after that, made harder when Henrikh Mkhitaryan scored United's second three minutes after the break.

"If you come 1-0 behind against such an, in defence, well-organised team, it's going to be difficult, especially the second half," the 53-year-old Bosz said.

Ajax had no answer to the physical strength and power of United, especially in midfield, where world record signing Pogba and Belgian international Marouane Fellaini dominated.

"I think there's a big difference in the physical way they (United) play, but its not a matter of strength - it's how you use your body, which we have to learn," Bosz said.

"For all the players, this is the first final. For winning finals, you first have to play finals and learn from it. All the players who played today learned a lot, and this is one aspect of the game where they were better than we were.

"They will learn a lot from it and we will become stronger, and if we can keep this squad together we will be stronger next season, for sure," he added.

With the game played in the shadow of Monday's bomb attack at a pop concert in Manchester, which left 22 dead and 64 injured, Bosz said his players were influenced by that event.

"We talked about it, and in the media there was a lot going on, so obviously both sides were affected. But once you play that final, I think you will, for that moment, forget it."

A year to the day after losing the Israeli cup final with Maccabi Tel Aviv, the Ajax coach joked that he intended to talk to the footballing authorities about the date of the final.

"I will ask UEFA and FIFA if they will not play any finals on this date," he said with a wry smile.

Manchester United were definitely and clearly the better side yesterday, but there is a degree of truth in the assertion that the occasion got to Ajax. What they played yesterday wasn't anywhere near the heights that they're capable of. For a person seeing Ajax for the first time yesterday, that wasn't a fair reflection of the football they play.

But anyway, congratulations to Manchester United.

1 hour ago, Messiesta said:

Manchester United were definitely and clearly the better side yesterday, but there is a degree of truth in the assertion that the occasion got to Ajax. What they played yesterday wasn't anywhere near the heights that they're capable of. For a person seeing Ajax for the first time yesterday, that wasn't a fair reflection of the football they play.

But anyway, congratulations to Manchester United.

well particular the English wouldnt of seen much of Ajax and will just make  negative comments because of 1 game. But dont really see that for Ajax to make this final with some of the teams they knocked out with this young team is an achievement you rarely see in todays football. 

• The title was changed to FINAL - Wednesday 24th May - Ajax 0-2 Man Utd
  • Subscriber
On 5/24/2017 at 10:42 PM, carefreeluke said:

True but experience isn't the reason they lost, of course it may have been a factor but Man United (regardless of what people think of their tactics) were simply the better team.

Ajax played into United's hands and they weren't intelligent enough with the ball, no change in pace in the final third and when they did have opportunities to break the lines they were sloppy and careless with the ball. They were very predictable and Herrera and Blind etc set traps all night in front of the defence and every time Ajax were caught out. Probably the most comfortable game Man United have had all season which firstly says something about how well Man United defended as a unit but more notably how poor Ajax were in attack in the final third.

Agree with this. Can't remember Ajax creating a proper chance. It's all about creating clear chances for me and Man Utd probably looked more like making it 3-0 than Ajax did 2-1.

1 hour ago, True Blue said:

What is superb? A grown man jumping and dabbing? Fucking hell football went to the shitter.

Yeah, its so embarrassing I find it quite funny.

Just now, Stan said:

nothing superb about that at all. fucking cringe-worthy. 

That was what I meant xD it was sarcasm

• The topic was unpinned

Archived