talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FINAL - Wednesday 24th May - Ajax 0-2 Man Utd

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Mourinho started his career as a relevant European manager by diving his way to a win against an underdog in 2nd-tier European cup final. 

I expect him to sign off in the same way. 

Peter Bosz will get the better of him, playing the Johan style of football people enjoy.

Just now, VanPanna said:

Peter Bosz will get the better of him, playing the Johan style of football people enjoy.

There is actually something poetic about such an orthodox Cruyffian taking an extremely low-budget team into a final against a disjointed, marketing monstrosity of a team, led by a man who has basically devoted his career to sucking out as much of the joy Cruyff brought to football as possible. 

its just a shame that the world is an awful place, and the latter team is going to win. 

45 minutes ago, VanPanna said:

Offensive football is everything Jose expects from Ajax, he will defend deep and strike back on counters through Rashford and the pacey wingers. Basically his tactics are like WBA, just a far more expensive squad.

30 minutes ago, True Blue said:

Offensive football is everything Jose expects from Ajax, he will defend deep and strike back on counters through Rashford and the pacey wingers. Basically his tactics are like WBA, just a far more expensive squad.

Yea of course he will do that but think again Ajax will be underestimated of their quality, not by Mourinho but by the players.  If Ajax play high pressing attacking football like have been in the home games, they will win, if they get sucked into Mourinhos anti football tactics then Man Utd will grind out a victory. I dont have the confidence in Mourinho going toe to toe with Ajax with going out all attack, which would be the perfect kind of game. I just hope that for the sake of football and the trouble the teams like Ajax have suffered over the years, they win this to restore some faith and pride back into the game.

With all the talk about how talented Ajax's youngsters are, I still can't see Man Utd not winning here. Ajax will probably look the better side but Man Utd will  Mourinho it. Would be hilariously if Ajax won though especially after Mourinho gave up on the league after 4th looked unlikely but said it was because he didn't want 4th anyway.

14 minutes ago, VanPanna said:

Yea of course he will do that but think again Ajax will be underestimated of their quality, not by Mourinho but by the players.  If Ajax play high pressing attacking football like have been in the home games, they will win, if they get sucked into Mourinhos anti football tactics then Man Utd will grind out a victory. I dont have the confidence in Mourinho going toe to toe with Ajax with going out all attack, which would be the perfect kind of game. I just hope that for the sake of football and the trouble the teams like Ajax have suffered over the years, they win this to restore some faith and pride back into the game.

Anti football will be 100%, he will have 1 shot on goal while Ajax will manage 10. He will then say he controlled the game and won it with ease. If Ajax wins he will blame the fixtures and everything he can come up with.

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Please refrain from calling this the European Cup. 

I called it a 2nd-tier European cup. 

Notice the "a", the "2nd-tier" and the lack of capitalisation on "cup". What else am I meant to say to refer to both the UEFA Cup and the Europa League?

2 minutes ago, Inverted said:

I called it a 2nd-tier European cup. 

Notice the "a", the "2nd-tier" and the lack of capitalisation on "cup". What else am I meant to say to refer to both the UEFA Cup and the Europa League?

Was referring to VanPanna

I said this earlier but now that it's on the day I'll say it again. It's time for a team from a league outside the top 5 to win it. Dnipro came close in 2015 but ultimately failed and them winning it wouldn't be as exciting as a sleeping giant like Ajax. Football has been centralized around those 5 and according to many, they are the only leagues that are "relevant". At a world stage, there is an element of truth. Otherwise I disagree with it. Go on Ajax.

2 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

I said this earlier but now that it's on the day I'll say it again. It's time for a team from a league outside the top 5 to win it. Dnipro came close in 2015 but ultimately failed and them winning it wouldn't be as exciting as a sleeping giant like Ajax. Football has been centralized around those 5 and according to many, they are the only leagues that are "relevant". At a world stage, there is an element of truth. Otherwise I disagree with it. Go on Ajax.

I wouldnt call Ajax a sleeping giant as they have such a rich history or winning things, they have just suffered from funding, bosman ruling and the football agents.

22 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

That is true. A team from smaller, second-tier, development league winning a European trophy would be very cool, and I hope it happens.   

Being pedantic, I wouldn't include Ligue 1 as part of a big 5 though. I think there's a big 4, with Ligue 1 still a long way behind the Premier League, La Liga, Bundesliga and Serie A. No French club has ever won this tournament. Marseille's 1993 Champions League title and PSG's 1997 Cup Winners' Cup title are the only successes by French clubs in major European competitions. To put it another way, Sevilla won more major European trophies in just 3 years from 2014-2016, than all French clubs have won between them in history. 

In fact Bundesliga and Serie A teams have a terrible record in this tournament as well. No Bundesliga club has won it since Schalke in 1997. Since then their only finalists have been Dortmund in 2002 and Werder Bremen in 2009, and both of those clubs were Champions League dropouts in those seasons as well, after finishing in 3rd in easy groups (Dortmund behind Boavista and Werder Bremen behind Panathinaikos). The last time a Bundesliga club even reached a Europea League semi-final was Hamburg way back in 2010.

And no Serie A team has reached the final of this competition since Parma won it back in 1999. I remember Italian clubs used to be quite disrespectful towards this competition, with clubs like Sampdoria and Palermo playing weakened teams in it. The terrible UEFA Cup/Europa League record of Serie A clubs was the reason why they lost their 4th champions league place to the Bundesliga in 2011. 

Out of the top leagues, it is only La Liga which has consistently done well in this competition, with 6 different La Liga clubs reaching the semi-finals in the last 8 years, and even a club like Levante out-performing bigger and richer English, Italian and German teams. 

• The title was changed to FINAL - Wednesday 24th May - Ajax 0-2 Man Utd
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived