talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Monarcas Morelia Moves To Sinaloa

football forum

A club with a 70 year history and a vastly traditional Mexican club is moving to a city with no relation to its roots. I hate modern football.

I have a hunch that this could have to do with the cartels in Sinaloa buying the club. It also happened to Lobos BUAP who moved to Juarez.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Stan said:

I thought Monarcas Morelia was a player and he moved to a club called Sinaloa.

Nah, but look up it's history. It's forgiveable if it's a 2 year old MLS club but for a long time Mexican club that isn't a franchise, it's frankly disgraceful what's going to happen.

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/05/2020 at 05:01, Inti Brian said:

I have a hunch that this could have to do with the cartels in Sinaloa buying the club.

100% this is exactly what's happened. Honestly, it's very sad because it's a club that's existed for decades with a history that's established... all wiped out to be used as a political tool for the Sinaloa Cartel (Chapo's Cartel - the biggest player's in Mexico's drug trade).

I love Mexico, it's a great country - but it's very sad what the "war on drugs" has meant for their country and how it's led to organised crime really holding most of the political capital and power in the country.

Many Mexican clubs are going to struggle financially because of COVID, so these cartel clubs may end up getting quite good because they'll have a financial advantage compared to many clubs.

Also this means Los Xolos (my favourite Mexican club) have many players on loan at Sinaloa now.

9 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

100% this is exactly what's happened. Honestly, it's very sad because it's a club that's existed for decades with a history that's established... all wiped out to be used as a political tool for the Sinaloa Cartel (Chapo's Cartel - the biggest player's in Mexico's drug trade).

I love Mexico, it's a great country - but it's very sad what the "war on drugs" has meant for their country and how it's led to organised crime really holding most of the political capital and power in the country.

Many Mexican clubs are going to struggle financially because of COVID, so these cartel clubs may end up getting quite good because they'll have a financial advantage compared to many clubs.

Also this means Los Xolos (my favourite Mexican club) have many players on loan at Sinaloa now.

Spot on. It's not the first time a club has been moved to a "cartel state" (if you know what I mean by that). I didn't say anything on Twitter to avoid controversy but I knew straight from the beginning that this may have been what happened.

Now I'm just waiting for them to sack Guede and appoint Diego Maradona.

Monarcas Morelia was my team in Mexico so I'm a bit sad this is happening.

Christ almighty. Some of the comments the new Mazatlan social media page has been making is a huge middle finger to Morelia fans.

"If you are not with us you can walk the plank"

"Our move was inevitable and we are here now"

"We will make more than one person uncomfortable"

What utter plebs.

On 08/06/2020 at 12:01, Inti Brian said:

Christ almighty. Some of the comments the new Mazatlan social media page has been making is a huge middle finger to Morelia fans.

"If you are not with us you can walk the plank"

"Our move was inevitable and we are here now"

"We will make more than one person uncomfortable"

What utter plebs.

I'm not really surprised by that either, considering the Cartel takeover. It's pretty much the same kind of bravado these cartels use when they make their press releases/threats to the Mexican government.

It's just sad though because the identity of a club that existed for nearly a century has basically been completely erased and replaced by something that is a reflection of the Sinaloa cartel. I also think this move is a bit like the Oakland Raiders moving from Oakland to Las Vegas - it might not be popular with local fans, but Mazatlán is a tourism hotspot and their new stadium is pretty cool looking. I suspect they'll get plenty of visitors at matches purely based off picking a tourism hotspot as the club's home.

From the Cartel's standpoint, it makes a lot of sense. The club will be used sort of as a propaganda tool, it'll be used to launder dirty money, and chances are it'll actually be a decent and legitimate stream of revenue as well.

On 24/05/2020 at 13:01, Inti Brian said:

A club with a 70 year history and a vastly traditional Mexican club is moving to a city with no relation to its roots. I hate modern football.

I have a hunch that this could have to do with the cartels in Sinaloa buying the club. It also happened to Lobos BUAP who moved to Juarez.

Cartels? Wow Mexican football is corrupt

• 2 weeks later...

Archived