talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Farewell to White Hart Lane

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Lucas said:

Sad to see another old school ground go. Whenever you watch Premier League Years on Sky you are reminded of how great they were and the atmosphere they generated. Highbury, Upton Park, Maine Road, The Dell etc.

If you like libraries, then yeah xD

Some absolute gold out there on social media. Fans queuing up to kiss the centre circle, pictures of Bill Nicholson, Cilla Black and Harambe in the clouds with "you did us proud" and just general rubbish as if Tottenham were actually moving. 

It's the same ground. Why the hype? Every ground in the country has had various facelifts and new stands put in, which is what this is, and Tottenham are acting like they're off to Wembley for good. 

• Subscriber
On 13 May 2017 at 3:05 PM, HoneyNUFC said:

I remember when Chelsea played with construction boards up behind the goal. Many clubs have played with stands under construction.

Could easily have been arranged at Spurs and had two thirds of the new stadium in working order whilst the rest is completed during the season. The whole year at Wembley smells off, first line of inquiry should always be money.  

Giving Spurs the ability to play at Wembley for a year would make a shit tonne more money than otherwise so of course they signed up to it.

No, you're just wrong. Originally that had been the plan, but it wasn't possible. The roof can't go on until the stadium is complete - we had to have a year away, but the club have done everything they can to ensure it is just one season.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

Some absolute gold out there on social media. Fans queuing up to kiss the centre circle, pictures of Bill Nicholson, Cilla Black and Harambe in the clouds with "you did us proud" and just general rubbish as if Tottenham were actually moving. 

It's the same ground. Why the hype? Every ground in the country has had various facelifts and new stands put in, which is what this is, and Tottenham are acting like they're off to Wembley for good. 

Again, nonsense.

Same location but completely different stadium and experience. White Hart Lane holds so many memories for us all. 20 years I've been sitting in the same seat, with the same people around me. White Hart Lane is special, you're right on top of the pitch, under the lights there are few places better. This was a day for us to celebrate all the good times there, the history of the club, the greats that have graced the turf. Clearly some people don't get it, and I don't think we really care, yesterday was about the fans that have lived and loved the Lane, and the times we have had there. 

I'm gutted it's gone. My whole childhood spent in that same seat every other week, nothing can replicate that. 

I don't get why people are up their are about this. They are leaving a stadium they've been in their whole existence, why the fuck wouldn't they have a special farewell for it. Id expect the same if we had decided to leave Anfield, or when Everton leave Goodison. It's just any chance to moan nowadays.

10 hours ago, Dan said:

That was probably the best atmosphere I've heard in a Premier League game all season. Great effort.

Beggars belief why they can't  create an atmosphere every game. I understand why Tottenham fans are sentimental about the demolishment but the Sky love in has been borderline cringeworthy.

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Beggars belief why they can't  create an atmosphere every game. I understand why Tottenham fans are sentimental about the demolishment but the Sky love in has been borderline cringeworthy.

I've never been particularly impressed by the atmosphere whenever I've been there although I get that they're not alone in that. Yesterday however it actually made the game far more watchable for me.

The media generally love Spurs anyway but I don't really have an issue with a big fuss out being made out of this as it's quite an emotional one for the fans. Was no worse than West Ham's last year.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

So the stadium is in the exact same location and has the same name? 

Its more like a major redevelopment than a new ground really then isn't it? :ph34r:

No, the name won't be done for a long time yet. It will be a naming rights stadium though.

12 hours ago, Storts said:

No, you're just wrong. Originally that had been the plan, but it wasn't possible. The roof can't go on until the stadium is complete - we had to have a year away, but the club have done everything they can to ensure it is just one season.

Shite excuse, you're not gremlins who can't get wet. Newcastle played at St James' without a roof on two stands in 1999. 

The FA fucked up financially building Wembley and have been open to whoring it out and trashing its prestige ever since. When that is on the table and the money it will return then of course you'd take it. In any other city in England fans would just have to accept not having a roof over their head for a year.

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

They all are now mate, it's too much money to turn down. 

Yeah, it's a shame, but only way to go now really to compete financially. We have an excuse with a new stadium, it's when they try to do it at Anfield etc. that it's a worry.

Just now, Storts said:

Yeah, it's a shame, but only way to go now really to compete financially. We have an excuse with a new stadium, it's when they try to do it at Anfield etc. that it's a worry.

They better fucking not! 

• Subscriber
20 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

They better fucking not! 

Wouldn't work as people would still call it Anfield, but give it a few years and you could see them trying

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Large said:

Won't get many West Ham fans admitting this, but I liked White Hart Lane. One of my favourite stadiums to watch football at.

Think you'd be surprised, deep down I'm sure a lot liked it - just as we enjoyed the Boleyn. Proper football stadiums.

Archived