talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Hardest Work/Job You've Ever Done

football forum

Not a job, but volunteering with Citizens Advice.

I was there for just over a year, and I had 4 suicide threats, I lost track of the people sobbing because they didn't have a place to shelter that evening, one person threaten to throw my computer against the wall. And I also had multiple people soil themselves in the interview room.

My admiration for people who work full-time, permanently with vulnerable people andpeople in crisis, is beyond massive.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
21 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Not a job, but volunteering with Citizens Advice.

I was there for just over a year, and I had 4 suicide threats, I lost track of the people sobbing because they didn't have a place to shelter that evening, one person threaten to throw my computer against the wall. And I also had multiple people soil themselves in the interview room.

My admiration for people who work full-time, permanently with vulnerable people andpeople in crisis, is beyond massive.

On the flip side, I feel sorry for those kind of people who have to put up with workers like @DeadLinesman in their lives :ph34r:

Always worked in front of a desk.

Two jobs related to my area of study and one job in accounting. I hated this last one though. I detest a job that I can't handle all the details at ease, or at least try to one day handle them.

I would literally start at 09h00 and be constantly watching the clock, hoping it would be 18h30 to get out.

• 2 years later...

Done loads of manual work for the house in my 44 years of life. Carrying huge flags for the garden, taking plaster off right to the brick and some hardcore digging. Round 4 years ago we have a garage built in the garden. People were breaking up the concreate for the foundation and it was a huge area and deep. I was putting the concreate into the skip. Had a bucket in each hand with round 60kg of concreate in each hand. Did this for round 10 days straight upto 14 hours a day. Fuck knows how many skips we filled. Worse thing that the drive is long so had to walk to the skip with the buckets to the street. After 10 days I had muscles popping out of my shoulders which I never knew existed. In our family we got thrown into manual house jobs from the age of 8. Never liked it but looking back would never have it any other way. By doing part of the job you save so much money.

The farm work some of you mentioned sounds hardcore.

I've had two jobs in my life(if you discount a couple of temp jobs doing packing and stuff)

Building and chef.

Being a chef is harder if you work in certain places.

Long hours, no proper breaks, mentally demanding and lots of stress.

Building is hard but not as hard as being a chef 

• Subscriber

Going back to the security bit, on some sites you had to be mentally alert and have your wits about you especially if it was an old deserted hospital, walking around on a night shift patrol all on your own could make you jump if you saw a dark shadow or creaking noises, half of the noises were just the building pipes cooling down at night.

I did one shift once which was scary as fuck, it was an old nun's deserted vicarage they were building new flats beside it, and there was a small cemetery there where some nuns had died and they had to dig up the remains and move them elsewhere, you had to do 6 mobile patrols at night on your 12-hour shift, walking alone at night with only a torch and some fucking rat or cat would shoot past you and scare the shite out of you.

Doing a patrol one night, cold, damp, and dark, and hear someone whispering in a deep voice "Hello.." looks all around and see nothing, and suddenly a person would jump out screaming to the high heavens......it was only my night shift mobile supervisor checking up on me, him standing there pissing himself laughing and me nearly shitting myself. :eek:

2 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

Going back to the security bit, on some sites you had to be mentally alert and have your wits about you especially if it was an old deserted hospital, walking around on a night shift patrol all on your own could make you jump if you saw a dark shadow or creaking noses, half of the noises were just the building pipes cooling down at night.

I did one shift once which was scary as fuck, it was an old nun's deserted vicarage they were building new flats beside it, and there was a small cemetery there where some nuns had died and they had to dig up the remains and move them elsewhere, you had to do 6 mobile patrols at night on your 12-hour shift, walking alone at night with only a torch and some fucking rat or cat would shoot past you and scare the shite out of you.

Doing a patrol one night, cold, damp, and dark, and hear someone whispering in a deep voice "Hello.." looks all around and see nothing, and suddenly a person would jump out screaming to the high heavens......it was only my night shift mobile supervisor checking up on me, him standing there pissing himself laughing and me nearly shitting myself. :eek:

you are so lucky to have worked in this environment. 

My second ever job, aged 18 was in a warehouse. It was mentally exhausting - having to stock take each day and count quite literally thousands of screws, or make orders by counting nuts and bolts to stupid amounts (for example - someone has ordered 374). 

Made me want to get out of there and into a proper job ASAP.

16 hours ago, Whiskey said:

My second ever job, aged 18 was in a warehouse. It was mentally exhausting - having to stock take each day and count quite literally thousands of screws, or make orders by counting nuts and bolts to stupid amounts (for example - someone has ordered 374). 

Made me want to get out of there and into a proper job ASAP.

I find jobs like that really hard. Boring jobs make me really anxious. I've actually had panic attacks over having to do boring jobs. 

Hardest job 

I wouldn't say any single job I've has been hard. There have been times I've doubted myself and felt out of depth but I've been lucky I've had decent bosses that have given me time to develop.

People in our office often say they don't think they could handle the pressure of what I do currently but I've developed a thick skin and accept in construction you will inevitable have bad days where deliveries might not arrive or lads won't turn into work leaving you short staffed.

Worst job

17 years of age, my mate says a local factory are after staff and all you need do is go to an office sign up and you start the following day. 

Sounds too good to be true, it was, we were shown to a back warehouse where there was about 60 people round a huge square work station. I asked what I'd be doing, the women told me you take the candle out of the box, I said okay fine.

She said that's it you crush the box and throw it in the bag at my feet, so I ask again, then what do I do. She replies nothing, Andrew gathers them up and takes them over to Jill who then puts them in a UK box.

8 hours a day taking candles out of a box. I did 15 minutes and said I need the toilet. Obviously I just walked straight out of the warehouse door. Sad thing was there were people who'd worked there years.

Archived