• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Brian's Scouting Thread

football forum

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Stan @Storts @nudge @Michael 

Tagged you 4 as you are some of the most diverse football watchers on here.

Let me raise a name. You may have heard of him already.

Been following him but don't feel I've seen enough to do a full scout report (even after about 5 games). I want to make sure I know what I'm seeing.

Manfred Ugalde. Costa Rican forward at Saprissa. He's 18 years old and has 20 goals and 5 assists in about 34-38 games. Let me bring up that he's 18 years old, born 2002. Club Brugge wanted him but the move was cancelled thanks to the pandemic taking form. However, he's going to play in Europe at some point. Let's just hope he develops more than Joel Campbell did!

84bb9ea6b524c846c61dbb140943d515.png

Manfred Ugalde - Player profile 19/20 | Transfermarkt

• Subscriber
17 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

Been following him but don't feel I've seen enough to do a full scout report (even after about 5 games). I want to make sure I know what I'm seeing.

Manfred Ugalde. Costa Rican forward at Saprissa. He's 18 years old and has 20 goals and 5 assists in about 34-38 games. Let me bring up that he's 18 years old, born 2002. Club Brugge wanted him but the move was cancelled thanks to the pandemic taking form. However, he's going to play in Europe at some point. Let's just hope he develops more than Joel Campbell did!

Haven't heard of him but will take a look. What about international football - where does he stand currently? Usually find that a better gauge of talent 

4 minutes ago, Storts said:

Haven't heard of him but will take a look. What about international football - where does he stand currently? Usually find that a better gauge of talent 

Checking here

He got 3 goals in 4 games in the CONCACAF U17 last year.

He got a brief spell for Costa Rica's first team against the USA this year.

So while not a lot so far, he got a look at Costa Rica's first team. Whether that was a non-FIFA friendly or not, is something good and I reckon he would have gotten a few bench appearances if the pandemic hadn't happened. Nothing certain though. He's still very young.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Not bad stats even if it is a lower quality league, especially for an 18-year old. Not heard of him but will look out for him. 

What I've seen so far, he reminds me a lot of Gabriel Jesus. Mostly a poacher in the sense that he doesn't get a lot of the ball but is a great finisher, can head the ball, has good off the ball movement and is kind of effective on the wing (he tends to drift out a lot).

However, I've seen about 4 games so far and want to see a bit more before being able to do a full report. Saprissa play again tonight, so there's another chance to see him myself.

27 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

I haven't heard of him either, but that's not a bad scoring record at all for an 18 year old, even if it is in the Costa Rican league. He also made his national team debut against the USA as a 17 year old in February I notice, that's clearly a pretty decent achievement. I will look out for him more in the future as he does look like a promising talent.

Think with a 5th game watched I can finally say Ugalde is a Gabriel Jesus more than a Luis Suarez. Not a bad thing mind, different styles. He'll score loads of goals in his career!

Here is his report.

Manfred Ugalde (2002) - Scout Report

On 14/06/2020 at 13:57, ...Dan said:

Have you looked at Algerian football at all in your scouting? They have some good players coming through, mostly from Paradou. Two I'd recommend looking at right now who are still playing in Algeria are Ishak Boussouf and Adem Zorgane, they'll both be playing in Europe (probably France) sooner or later.

Watching a bit of Paradou now. Zorgane is class, I can see why Europeans are keen on him. He's clearly way above this level. Also like the look of Ghorab, who has impeccable off the ball movement for this level.

Here is another one I found on my scouting mission. Zied Berrima (2001). Only seen one game so far, but looks way above this standard. He scored this goal in the game I saw. Ibrahimovic-esque. Also dictated the tempo for his team.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Mpache said:

Yes, I figured that...

I watch the player a number of games. It's not really hard to figure out xD

Or Google them :ph34r:

Archived