talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Brian's Scouting Thread

football forum

3 hours ago, Toinho said:

Can someone explain the graph percentages to me one more time? O.o

The highest percentage means that is the players strebgth? And it's x amount better than his next highest percentage? 

I use a measurement out of 100 and the percentages are his stats balanced out. It's what he is best at, not comparing to other footballers.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
1 hour ago, Blue said:

I use a measurement out of 100 and the percentages are his stats balanced out. It's what he is best at, not comparing to other footballers.

they're not on about comparing to other footballers.

They're on about the percentages relating to that one footballer. 

Take Capano-Gauthier, for instance.

His attributes, as you see them, are as follows:
Attacking - 9%
Defending - 24%
Aerial - 22%
Ball Control - 8%
Fitness - 17%
Tactical Awareness - 20%

Now, they all add up to 100%. As they should. That's how percentages work.

What Toinho and Machado are getting as is what if his defending continues to improve to say, 30%. Where would you take the other 6% from to accommodate the improvement in defending?

How are the percentages even quantified, anyway?

Perhaps a sliding scale is needed. Take out percentages altogether and that way, you're not restricted to 100 as your limit. 

14 minutes ago, Stan said:

they're not on about comparing to other footballers.

They're on about the percentages relating to that one footballer. 

Take Capano-Gauthier, for instance.

His attributes, as you see them, are as follows:
Attacking - 9%
Defending - 24%
Aerial - 22%
Ball Control - 8%
Fitness - 17%
Tactical Awareness - 20%

Now, they all add up to 100%. As they should. That's how percentages work.

What Toinho and Machado are getting as is what if his defending continues to improve to say, 30%. Where would you take the other 6% from to accommodate the improvement in defending?

How are the percentages even quantified, anyway?

Perhaps a sliding scale is needed. Take out percentages altogether and that way, you're not restricted to 100 as your limit. 

That doesn't degrade them though, percentages can increase and decrease but its only a balance of what their stats are.

Like I said, I use a measurement out of 100 and I have his best stats at around 100. Its basically just a balance of what their best stats are for himself. Not the level around him. So if he does get better at defending, I may raise it by 1 or 2 since he's close to 100 but he will never get better by 30% in his best stat because its already near the maximum number. Now as an example, if he gets better at attacking by 30%, then he will become a more balanced player which means his defence percentage will get lower, but that doesn't mean he's any worse at it.

If I'm doing my math correctly though, the only way he can get better by 30% in attacking is if one of his stats gets lowered.

As for the sliding scale, I actually do have another graph with me but I'm still trying to perfect it. I'm not fully decided on if the stats mean for their level of club or for themselves only. If you have any tips, I'll kindly take them and try those out.

cc9275473e77747ae7e3faa2acd20445.png

• Subscriber

I wouldn't use a pie chart then, it's not really suitable for visually representing what you just described, especially considering that you have by far more variables (player attributes) than what you put in a pie chart in your previous examples (the most important ones, I get it - but then putting them in a pie chart implies that there are no other ones, since a pie chart always represents "the whole"). Bar charts are ok, but they look messy and hard to read if you compare multiple attributes at the same time; if you go ahead with that, at least use different colours for each attribute consistently. Radar/spider graphs work best for displaying such multivariate data though, as you get a good visual representation of each attribute AND the overall balance.

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, Blue said:

That doesn't degrade them though, percentages can increase and decrease but its only a balance of what their stats are.

Like I said, I use a measurement out of 100 and I have his best stats at around 100. Its basically just a balance of what their best stats are for himself. Not the level around him. So if he does get better at defending, I may raise it by 1 or 2 since he's close to 100 but he will never get better by 30% in his best stat because its already near the maximum number. Now as an example, if he gets better at attacking by 30%, then he will become a more balanced player which means his defence percentage will get lower, but that doesn't mean he's any worse at it.

If I'm doing my math correctly though, the only way he can get better by 30% in attacking is if one of his stats gets lowered.

As for the sliding scale, I actually do have another graph with me but I'm still trying to perfect it. I'm not fully decided on if the stats mean for their level of club or for themselves only. If you have any tips, I'll kindly take them and try those out.

yep, this is the thing :).

What if all his attributes improve, but one does so at a quicker rate? You're restricting yourself by using percentages. 

Think of FM - any attribute can rise or fall but the max is 20 for each individual attribute. But if one attribute does rise, it doesn't mean others have to be sacrificed or neglected.

Just now, Stan said:

yep, this is the thing :).

What if all his attributes improve, but one does so at a quicker rate? You're restricting yourself by using percentages. 

Think of FM - any attribute can rise or fall but the max is 20 for each individual attribute. But if one attribute does rise, it doesn't mean others have to be sacrificed or neglected.

I know - but I never said I would lower his stats to pander to the graph. If I lower a players stats, its because I don't think he's as good as he was or if I continued to watch matches and realize I made a mistake there. 

If a players stat does improve at a quick rate like his defending, I'll raise it slightly on the pie graph but more on the bar graph, which I'm trying to perfect still.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Blue said:

I know - but I never said I would lower his stats to pander to the graph. If I lower a players stats, its because I don't think he's as good as he was or if I continued to watch matches and realize I made a mistake there. 

If a players stat does improve at a quick rate like his defending, I'll raise it slightly on the pie graph but more on the bar graph, which I'm trying to perfect still.

That's not how statistical data representation works, mate... By all means use it for visualization if you wish, but don't include percentages then as the way you intend to use it, you render them completely meaningless, I'm afraid.

Just now, nudge said:

That's not how statistical data representation works, mate... By all means use it for visualization if you wish, but don't include percentages then as the way you intend to use it, you render them completely meaningless, I'm afraid.

Honestly, the most important part is the written bit anyhow. I try to be as detailed as possible but I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Thanks to you and Stan for the criticism anyways.

Went to Alianza Lima vs Universitario reserves last night to see Oslimg Mora. Its been a while since I've seen him, but he's just as good as I remember if not better. Unstoppable on the right side of the pitch and got a goal and 2 assists. I've been trying to stress this to the people here but I genuinely think he's the next big thing in Peruvian football. An absolute class player.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Marc said:

Adam Idah scored 3 for our U18s last night. Can I have a report of his performance? Preferably in the form of a pie chat with percentages.

is food your language :ph34r: ?

On 11/4/2018 at 10:11, nudge said:

I wouldn't use a pie chart then, it's not really suitable for visually representing what you just described, especially considering that you have by far more variables (player attributes) than what you put in a pie chart in your previous examples (the most important ones, I get it - but then putting them in a pie chart implies that there are no other ones, since a pie chart always represents "the whole"). Bar charts are ok, but they look messy and hard to read if you compare multiple attributes at the same time; if you go ahead with that, at least use different colours for each attribute consistently. Radar/spider graphs work best for displaying such multivariate data though, as you get a good visual representation of each attribute AND the overall balance.

I just saw this. Once again, thanks for the criticism and maybe I could try a different chart to perfect the graphic.

On 11/04/2018 at 11:02, Machado said:

Don't try. It makes no sense at all.

According to Brian's graph, if the kid gets any better at ball control, he'll have to lose a skill point in some other attribute. Fortunately that's not how the human body works.

It would be a good graph in a world where people who get stronger also got proportionally dumber.

It’s why I’ve got no hair, but a massive cock. Swings and roundabouts mate.

• Subscriber

You could use a bar chart to show how good their abilities are out of 100, then use a pie chart separately to show their relative strengths and weaknesses, preferably without the percentages on that part, that would be fine.

• 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Spike said:

@Berserker @Blue Can I get a quick rundown on Lautrao Martinez?

Extremely good, tearing the league apart. Very few young strikers have done this well in the league in the last 15 years. Only Cavenaghi, Aguero and most recently Alario (Higuain played very few matches here). Just hope he doesn't end like Vietto.

2 hours ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Another great young player from the pachuca youth academy. Pachuca actually has two young midfielders that are attracting attention from European clubs, Gutierrez and Victor Guzman.

He has agreed to join PSV

• 1 month later...

After a bit of a burn out, I'm back in searching for talent.

Right now I'm trying to determine which international league to scout. Looking for a few on Wyscout but I'm thinking USA or NPL Australia. I was actually watching NPL Tasmania not too long ago and thought while the level was absolutely shite, it would be interesting to see if there are a few players that no scout in the country could pick out just because of region. Same goes for USA, its how Christian Pulisic was discovered.

As for leagues I am currently following, I'm looking at several regions in the third tier of Peru. They are the easiest type of players to talk too and often they don't have agents.

Gabriel Capano-Gauthier who I talked about earlier is one player I'm still following with upmost interest.

• 3 months later...

I can't find the old thread, so here is a new one.

Made a big list just now to keep myself updated on the players I want to follow. 

Hong Yun-Sang - 2002 - Pohang Steelers

A talented playmaker who impressed at the AFC U16 with South Korea. He has a lot of flair and is gifted both technically and mentally.

Adrian Ugarriza - 1997 - UTC

I have still yet to determine his potential, but he's improving game by game. He continues to look more like a complete forward and if you look at some of his heat maps, he's always everywhere on the pitch despite being a number 9.

1.82 metres, right footed. Striker

Shoji Toyama - 2002 - Gamba Osaka

He was on and off during the AFC U16 because of the manager. He played some games, others only a few minutes. One thing isn't in doubt though, he's a great goalscorer and has been one of the best players in the tournament with Japan.

Suphanat Mueanta - 2002 - Buriram United

Already debuted with his club at 15 years old and scored 2 on his debut - the Thai forward is the next big thing in Southeast Asian football. He also managed to score 4 goals in the AFCU16 group stage in which Thailand went out in the first round.

1.75 metres, right footed. Striker

Noah Botic - 2002 - Rockdale City Suns

Noah Botic is the most gifted Australian player from the AFCU16. Perhaps the next big talent from this Joeys team. 

5 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Is this it @Blue?

No, there was another one simply titled "Brian's Scouting Thread". I tried searching and there is nowt.

Maybe I'm bad at looking but I can't find it :( 

• The title was changed to Brian's Scouting Thread

Archived