talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

F1 2020 - Race 1 - Austrian GP (3-5th July)

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just finished watching Quali as I wasn't able to do.

Wow, here are some things I noticed.

1. Ferrari are slow
2. Racing Point might be the most improved car this year
3. Latifi has to do better, he looked a bit foolish out there today.
4. Max is so damn elite, it's unreal how fast he is.
5. Bottas is very underrated. He's a really good driver but never seems to be mentioned as one of the elites.
6. Hass and Alfa have a LOOOONNNNGGGG season ahead of them unless they are able to find some pace.

• Administrator
28 minutes ago, nudge said:

Hamilton summoned to the stewards for failing to slow for the yellow flags at the end of Q3!

That was mentioned at the time to be fair.

Hope he's banned from the race :ph34r:

24 minutes ago, Eco said:

This 2x.

Ban Bottas as well for being an accomplice.

Agree with this :D

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Eco said:

5. Bottas is very underrated. He's a really good driver but never seems to be mentioned as one of the elites.

Disagree with this. I see Bottas as a very solid driver but nowhere near being one of the elites. Without a significant car advantage, he'd be cruising along losing out to other drivers in equal machinery. Lacks consistency and agression on track, in my opinion. He is fast and a very good qualifier, but not that great at actually beating other drivers on track when it matters; watching him get stuck behind slower cars waiting too long for an opportunity to overtake is frustrating af. Lacks the edge to be one of the best.

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

Disagree with this. I see Bottas as a very solid driver but nowhere near being one of the elites. Without a significant car advantage, he'd be cruising along losing out to other drivers in equal machinery. Lacks consistency and agression on track, in my opinion. He is fast and a very good qualifier, but not that great at actually beating other drivers on track when it matters; watching him get stuck behind slower cars waiting too long for an opportunity to overtake is frustrating af. Lacks the edge to be one of the best.

You're probably right, and I can agree with him lacking that killer edge, but he does seem to give Hamilton a run for his money more often than not, and is a good qualifier. I wouldn't say he's better than Hamilton or Max as of today, but take out those two away, and I'm not sure how many other drivers I'd say are hands down better than Bottas.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Eco said:

You're probably right, and I can agree with him lacking that killer edge, but he does seem to give Hamilton a run for his money more often than not, and is a good qualifier. I wouldn't say he's better than Hamilton or Max as of today, but take out those two away, and I'm not sure how many other drivers I'd say are hands down better than Bottas.

You see, I disagree about him giving Hamilton a run for his money; other than beating him in a few qualifying sessions last season, I feel like he barely pushed Hamilton at all. 

Some season by season comparisons:

GMorca0.png

Z7qAXqY.png

xrNRdSH.png

Now don't get me wrong, I don't expect him to be beating Lewis on a regular basis at all, but in my opinion, Bottas hasn't been capable to show that he could consistently be winning on a weekly basis with a car that is quite clearly able to offer that. 

As for drivers on the current grid better than Bottas, I'd personally rank Hamilton, Verstappen, Vettel, Ricciardo, Leclerc and Kimi higher in terms of actual racecraft, with Perez and potentially Sainz at an equal level.

52 minutes ago, Eco said:

I just finished watching Quali as I wasn't able to do.

Wow, here are some things I noticed.

1. Ferrari are slow
2. Racing Point might be the most improved car this year
3. Latifi has to do better, he looked a bit foolish out there today.
4. Max is so damn elite, it's unreal how fast he is.
6. Hass and Alfa have a LOOOONNNNGGGG season ahead of them unless they are able to find some pace.

For good reason.

7 minutes ago, nudge said:

You see, I disagree about him giving Hamilton a run for his money; other than beating him in a few qualifying sessions last season, I feel like he barely pushed Hamilton at all. 

Some season by season comparisons:

GMorca0.png

Z7qAXqY.png

xrNRdSH.png

Now don't get me wrong, I don't expect him to be beating Lewis on a regular basis at all, but in my opinion, Bottas hasn't been capable to show that he could consistently be winning on a weekly basis with a car that is quite clearly able to offer that. 

As for drivers on the current grid better than Bottas, I'd personally rank Hamilton, Verstappen, Vettel, Ricciardo, Leclerc and Kimi higher in terms of actual racecraft, with Perez and potentially Sainz atvel.

Hard to debate with you as your clearly are more invested and have been involved for much longer than I. For instance, I never saw Kimi at Ferrari so I don't get the high grades for him.

I never saw Danny at RB, so his Renault days have been less than impressive, Sainz is good, and moving to Ferrari is a massive step to him, but I haven't seen anything from him that really puts him head and shoulders above Lando.

Sebs has been riddled with some silly mistakes the past year or so, and that is when I started watching F1.

• Subscriber

"The video footage confirmed that there have been yellow flags and green light panels at the same time and therefore conflicting signals were shown to the driver. Taking this into account, the Stewards decide to take no further action."

No penalty for Hamilton.

• Subscriber

Bottas at first showed similar signs to Rosberg of generally being slower than Lewis but not being able to beat him over the course of a season. Rosberg managed to find a new level but Bottas never has to be honest. He's very quick, especially in qualifying, but he's too easily disrupted by tyre wear, getting caught behind traffic, other issues to take the fight to Hamilton regularly. He also has too many weekends where he ends up half a second slower than Lewis in qualifying. I agree with @nudge's assessment of drivers who could beat Bottas over the course of a season if they had the same car.

• Administrator
58 minutes ago, nudge said:

"The video footage confirmed that there have been yellow flags and green light panels at the same time and therefore conflicting signals were shown to the driver. Taking this into account, the Stewards decide to take no further action."

No penalty for Hamilton.

Lucky fucker. Got off on a technical confusion!

• Subscriber

According to AMuS, Ferrari think their engine is costing them about half a second per lap. If true, then they're in serious trouble, given that engine development is essentially frozen until the end of 2021. 

5 minutes ago, nudge said:

According to AMuS, Ferrari think their engine is costing them about half a second per lap. If true, then they're in serious trouble, given that engine development is essentially frozen until the end of 2021. 

If that's the case they are in serious trouble. RB already proved faster today, and now maybe McLaren might be better than them.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Eco said:

If that's the case they are in serious trouble. RB already proved faster today, and now maybe McLaren might be better than them.

Their race pace could still be better, so maybe they're not completely hopeless, haha. Maybe the aero upgrade in Hungary will improve it. But yeah, doesn't look good, by any means! I still think Binotto won't see the end of the season at Ferrari.

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

Their race pace could still be better, so maybe they're not completely hopeless, haha. Maybe the aero upgrade in Hungary will improve it. But yeah, doesn't look good, by any means! I still think Binotto won't see the end of the season at Ferrari.

Ferrari got out qualified by Mercedes, RB, McLaren, and Racing Point...

That smells like trouble for Ferrari

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, MUFC said:

Was thinking that due to their pace. Maybe MErc could have done what RB did and tried starting on the hards and have a split strategy maybe?

On the hards? Not sure they would have made it to Q3 if they tried to qualify on hards in Q2; the gaps weren't that large. Also, starting on hards while everyone else is starting on softs sounds very risky to me. I agree that they could have split their strategy and had one Merc on softs, one on mediums though. Let's see what happens in the race! 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived