talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

[VOTE] Team of the 21st Century - RW - Quarter Finals

football forum

Vote.  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Luis Figo or Arjen Robben?

2. 2. Ricardo Quaresma or Roberto Baggio?

• Ricardo Quaresma
    • Roberto Baggio
  3. 3. David Beckham or Lionel Messi?

4. 4. Gareth Bale or Mohamed Salah?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arjen Robben over Figo is easy.

I really don't believe Quaresma to be better than Baggio but again, Baggio was a 90's player. Hence my vote goes to Quaresma.

Messi vs Beckham again - easy.

Gareth Bale vs Salah was the toughest here but I went for longevity. Salah has been able to maintain a higher level for more time than Bale and I also think he's a bit better in general.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Inti Brian said:

Salah has been able to maintain a higher level for more time than Bale

I'd love to know what the wider opinion is on this statement. Salah has had two excellent seasons for Liverpool and one before that for Roma. Bale was right up there for about the same amount of time for Spurs even before he went to Real Madrid. I reckon Salah has been more consistent week in week out over the last few years than Bale was for the majority of his peak years, especially in Spain, but I think, so far, Bale had more peak years than Salah has had.

1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

I'd love to know what the wider opinion is on this statement. Salah has had two excellent seasons for Liverpool and one before that for Roma. Bale was right up there for about the same amount of time for Spurs even before he went to Real Madrid. I reckon Salah has been more consistent week in week out over the last few years than Bale was for the majority of his peak years, especially in Spain, but I think, so far, Bale had more peak years than Salah has had.

Salah was also excellent at Basel.

Though I wasn't 100% sure on that statement either to be frank with you. Salah is a little bit better than Bale in my opinion but I was a bit skeptical in posting that, because Basel with all due respect didn't test him much and like you said he's only had 3 great seasons in Europe's top 5 leagues.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Just seen this. Sorry Salah over Bale xD That is just so incorrect. Bale has dragged Real Madrid to multiple Champions League's, Spanish cup etc. - He was also equally as good in the Prem and has done it for longer. Talk about recency bias 

2 minutes ago, Storts said:

Just seen this. Sorry Salah over Bale xD That is just so incorrect. Bale has dragged Real Madrid to multiple Champions League's, Spanish cup etc. - He was also equally as good in the Prem and has done it for longer. Talk about recency bias 

Come on, this is just a bit of fun. I voted for Beckham and Quaresma, only because I knew they wouldn't have a chance in hell against Messi and Baggio. However, with Salah v Bale, there isn't such a clear cut choice to be made. Both Bale and Salah have been world class on many occasions, but they have both also been quite mediocre during certain other parts of their respective careers. It's not such an unequivocal decision, to choose one over the other in this instance.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Mpache said:

Salah has also lead his teams to titles... Champions League, Premier League, etc.

Not really in the same way. Bale has scored incredible goals for Madrid to win the CL and the CDR - Salah hasn't done this yet. He's been pretty mediocre this season when Liverpool will finally will the league.

Also Bale isn't a raging anti-semite which probably helps 

1 minute ago, Storts said:

Not really in the same way. Bale has scored incredible goals for Madrid to win the CL and the CDR - Salah hasn't done this yet. He's been pretty mediocre this season when Liverpool will finally will the league.

Well if we're talking about my comment about longevity, I was wrong earlier and I admitted it. He definitely wasn't great over the same span of time as Bale. However, he's only ever flopped at one club: Chelsea. Even if I didn't really like him much at Roma, his record spoke for itself. I wouldn't call it recency bias. That was by far the toughest decision.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Mpache said:

Well if we're talking about my comment about longevity, I was wrong earlier and I admitted it. He definitely wasn't great over the same span of time as Bale. However, he's only ever flopped at one club: Chelsea. Even if I didn't really like him much at Roma, his record spoke for itself. I wouldn't call it recency bias. That was by far the toughest decision.

It is recency bias.

Salah hasn't achieved anywhere near the same as Bale has so far in his career. There's still plenty of time for him. But Bale to date should have won this comfortably. 

7 minutes ago, Storts said:

Who exactly is an anti-semite?:35_thinking:

8 minutes ago, Storts said:

We don't know that for true... what did Salah say?

1 minute ago, Storts said:

It is recency bias.

Salah hasn't achieved anywhere near the same as Bale has so far in his career. There's still plenty of time for him. But Bale to date should have won this comfortably. 

So you are able to read the minds of all those who voted for Salah are you?

3 minutes ago, Storts said:

It is recency bias.

Salah has had a great career so far. Especially for an Egyptian who wasn't born in Europe. But yeah that's a fair point that he still has plenty of time. In their prime, it's close for sure. Longevity and thus far, yeah Bale has achieved more.

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

Well Storts is obviously biased, Bale is an icon for Tottenham and he says Salah is anti-semitic. It doesn't even matter what player is better when you've emotions attached. 

In his defence, he's most qualified to be able to talk about Tottenham. Not sure about the Salah views (I kind of agree with it) but it's just like how I'm most qualified to be able to talk about Peruvian football. It's not called bias, it's called knowing about it.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Spike said:

Well Storts is obviously biased, Bale is an icon for Tottenham and he says Salah is anti-semitic. It doesn't even matter what player is better when you've emotions attached. 

Without a doubt - but objectively it's very hard to argue for Salah in this considering the impact Bale had, first in the Prem, but more importantly at Madrid, and the match winning performances he made on the biggest stage. Not to mention dragging Wales to a Euro's semi as well. 

Archived