talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

[VOTE] Team of the 21st Century - RW - Quarter Finals

football forum

Vote.  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Luis Figo or Arjen Robben?

2. 2. Ricardo Quaresma or Roberto Baggio?

• Ricardo Quaresma
    • Roberto Baggio
  3. 3. David Beckham or Lionel Messi?

4. 4. Gareth Bale or Mohamed Salah?

1 minute ago, Spike said:

Well Storts is obviously biased, Bale is an icon for Tottenham and he says Salah is anti-semitic. It doesn't even matter what player is better when you've emotions attached. 

I've not heard of such comments that he has allegedly made, maybe he did make such comments, but I am still awaiting clarification on that. But isn't Salah of semitic stock himself? If you are emotionally attached to a player to the point where you are blinded, then that is called delusion my friend. I'm not saying this is the case here, as both Bale and Salah are closely matched in terms of their quality on the pitch.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Spike said:

Well Storts is obviously biased, Bale is an icon for Tottenham and he says Salah is anti-semitic. It doesn't even matter what player is better when you've emotions attached. 

No shit Sherlock, how did you work that one out?xD

1 minute ago, Mpache said:

In his defence, he's most qualified to be able to talk about Tottenham. Not sure about the Salah views (I kind of agree with it) but it's just like how I'm most qualified to be able to talk about Peruvian football. It's not called bias, it's called knowing about it.

Of course it is

Just now, Storts said:

Without a doubt - but objectively it's very hard to argue for Salah in this considering the impact Bale had, first in the Prem, but more importantly at Madrid, and the match winning performances he made on the biggest stage. Not to mention dragging Wales to a Euro's semi as well. 

See xD

But yeah, an Egyptian Muslim that is anti-semitic? Shit, we'd all be anti-semitic if we were Egyptian. :dunce:

Just now, Michael said:

I've not heard of such comments that he has allegedly made, maybe he did make such comments, but I am still awaiting clarification on that. But isn't Salah of semitic stock himself? If you are emotionally attached to a player to the point where you are blinded, then that is called delusion my friend. I'm not saying this is the case here, as both Bale and Salah are closely matched in terms of their quality on the pitch.

Egpytians aren't semitic.  That is just a pan-term of the early Abrahamaic peoples across the middle-east but is just short hand for people of the Jewish faith from the levant/middle east

Just now, Spike said:

Egpytians aren't semitic.  That is just a pan-term of the early Abrahamaic peoples across the middle-east but is just short hand for people of the Jewish faith from the levant/middle east

I am not sure abotu Egpytians, but I am pretty sure that most Egyptian class themselves as Arabs. Arabs, Jews and several other Middle Eastern groups are all classed as semites

If we were all biased based on our expertise, then nobody is truly neutral.

Of course they aren't that would imply that someone can process phenomena without any pre-conceived ideas or contextual clues. Just watching a game and listening to the commentary provides a bias

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

Obviously a little quicker than you, seeing as you had to read my comment and quote it twice 9_9

If that's what you deduce from me quoting it twice, then sure thing sunshine.;)xD

Just now, Michael said:

I am not sure abotu Egpytians, but I am pretty sure that most Egyptian class themselves as Arabs. Arabs, Jews and several other Middle Eastern groups are all classed as semites

Egyptians aren't Arabs, they just speak a similar language. Arabs are people from the Arabian peninsula, and spread their culture via the Muslim conquests. They may have racial admixture but unlikely that the Arabs entirely replaced the native population of Egypty. They aren't semitic, it's a pan-term that is obsolete and means nothing anymore, really.

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

Egyptians aren't Arabs, they just speak a similar language. Arabs are people from the Arabian peninsula, and spread their culture via the Muslim conquests. They may have racial admixture but unlikely that the Arabs entirely replaced the native population of Egypty. They aren't semitic, it's a pan-term that is obsolete and means nothing anymore, really.

Didn't know that about Egypt. I know Algeria and Morocco are Berbers though.

Just now, Spike said:

Yes, many Egyptians do have Arab admixture and that's exactly my point. In fact the Arabs in the Sinai Peninsula are very Arab. So what is your definition of an Arab then, does someone have to be a so called pure Arab to be classed as a semite? In that case you will be hard pressed to find many people of that nature, as the Middle East because of its geography, is one of the most mixed areas in the world.

If you read up on it, you will find out that they are all a mixed lot. Algeria and Morocco are not exclusively Berber.

4 minutes ago, Mpache said:

Well think about it my man. Egpyt was conquered by Persians, Greeks, Romans, Turks, Arabs, so I think it is disingenuous to refer to them as Arab. 

3 minutes ago, Michael said:

Yes, many Egyptians do have Arab admixture and that's exactly my point. In fact the Arabs in the Sinai Peninsula are very Arab. So what is your definition of an Arab then, does someone have to be a so called pure Arab to be classed as a semite? In that case you will be hard pressed to find many people of that nature, as the Middle East because of its geography, is one of the most mixed areas in the world.

I think culturally, ethnically, and liguistically Egyptians are unique enough to not be reduced to simply 'Arab'. If they aren't, then we may as well call half or America and Canada British instead of Canadian or American. Purity is a moot point and has no real relevance, there is more nuance than is and is not.

Just now, Spike said:

I think culturally, ethnically, and liguistically Egyptians are unique enough to not be reduced to simply 'Arab'. If they aren't, then we may as well call half or America and Canada British instead of Canadian or American. 

Hmmm, I'd say that culturally they are very Arab, if we are talking about the wider population. Especially among the muslims, much less so among the Coptic Christian minorities. Most Egyptians identify themselves as Arabs, well certainly the ones that I've met. But one only has to read about current day Egyptians to come to the conclusion that the majority consider themselves to be Arabs. If however we are talking about genetics, then of course, we know that the Egyptians of today are quite a mixed bunch. 

2 minutes ago, Michael said:

Hmmm, I'd say that culturally they are very Arab, if we are talking about the wider population. Especially among the muslims, much less so among the Coptic Christian minorities. Most Egyptians identify themselves as Arabs, well certainly the ones that I've met. But one only has to read about current day Egyptians to come to the conclusion that the majority consider themselves to be Arabs. If however we are talking about genetics, then of course, we know that the Egyptians of today are quite a mixed bunch. 

Fair enough. I can't say I've met Egyptians knowingly. I just kind of assumed they were like Iranians 'WHAT!? We aren't Arabs, we are Persians dammit!' xD

Archived