talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Best/Worst bits from your season?

football forum

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best - The resurgance of form from March onwards has been enjoyable. Inparticular turning over Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool all in quick succession.

Worst - October to February. Alan Pardew really made a mess of things. We were known for our team spirit and by the time he went we had nothing left. Sam Allardyce said it would take him to March to turn this team round and he weren't kidding! I felt lower losing 4-0 to Sunderland than I did in Ian Holloway's last game when we lost 4-1 to Fulham.

Best;

The home results - After 2 years of dreadful results under Martinez we've made Goodison a place most won't like to visit again. Think we've got 3rd best record this season. 

The home games against Man City and Arsenal - Both great wins but showing we can play different ways. We blew City away playing good stuff whereas against Arsenal we just kicked the shit out of them for 90 mins and scrapped a win. 

Youth - Emergence of Tom Davies has been great. A breath of fresh air and looks great in a midfield 3. Mason Holgate, whilst played out of position at right back has looked good. 

Idrissa Gueye - what a signing. 

Morgan Schneiderlin - what a signing. 

Bad;

Away results - Not good enough. 

Cup results - Knocked out early in both cups against Norwich and Leicester. Again, not good enough. 

Sure I'll think of more soon enough. 

Best: The 6-1 comeback against PSG and the 3-2 Clasico, together with amazing one off performances sprinkled throughout the season like the 3-0 win over Sevilla where we played the best football we've played all season in the first half.  

Worst: Otherwise it's been a very underwhelming season where we've played some pretty poor football overall. Results wise obviously the losses to PSG and Juve stand out, as well as idiotic losses in the league that could cost us the title, such as Deportivo and at home to Alaves. 

• Subscriber

As per usual we could add loads into both. I'll limit it to three each. I don't think I'll ever see a season have such a range of ups and downs.

The best bits
3. Leicester 3-1 Liverpool. We were the villains. We've sacked one of the most popular and well-loved managers in the game, yet ultimately any of our fans who were honest with themselves knew he had to go. We are slagged off left, right and centre. Leicester are evil. How dare they. After taking so much stick for ultimately trying to help ourselves, and on the day putting up with a Liverpool fan who I've argued with about the game, it was unbelievably refreshing to see us beat them absolutely comfortably. 6 games without scoring a goal and we turned up like that. I don't know, I just felt a huge siege mentality in that game. Liverpool aren't exactly popular yet most people wanted them to beat us I felt. It was the first game of what's been a very good few months for us, and we have absolutely vindicated the decision. It was sad, but it was right, and only we truly knew it.

2. Club Brugge 0-3 Leicester. Brugge ended up being pushovers in the group, losing 6 out of 6, but this was just a brilliant day. I'd only ever dreamt of watching us play in Europe away from home and it really had arrived. I've never been so tired in my life, went on a private overnight bus that arrived in Brugge in the morning and back in Leicester the following one. So deprived of sleep and ended up actually falling asleep on a bench in the city centre xD but it was just a great experience. The others were all good in their own ways but this trip was probably the best away day of my life and it will take some beating - and what a start to our Champions League campaign.

1. Leicester 2-0 Sevilla. That was my favourite game ever. I gave us no chance when the game was drawn and even despite getting a credible result at their place, I expected them to give us the battering they should have in Spain. We had turned a corner on the pitch but even so, to actually become the side who ended Sevilla's ridiculous run in Europe was surreal. It was just a perfect night. I gave myself a headache that game.

Honorable mentions to the second leg v Atletico, our home form (minus a couple of months), West Brom away and Stoke away.

The worst bits
3. Southampton 3-0 Leicester. Leicester traveled to a Southampton side who had just played a League Cup semi final, and were coming off the back of four straight defeats in the league. Leicester set up with one of the most bizarre formations you will ever see. I can't even explain it. A flat back four, a winger up front, but no one actually out wide. So, not a jot of width, no creativity, no structure, no fucking hope. We were absolutely ripped to shreds. In a season of absolutely pathetic away form, this was the worst display of the lot in the league.

2. January 31st 2017. I had a brain wave at work. Leicester had had a total shambles of a summer in the transfer market and January, which looked to be a chance to recover from that, was looking like going exactly the same way - failure after failure to land targets and deadline day arrived. Leicester traveled to Burnley that night. I had a thought, Leicester were going to cock up deadline day in terms of signings, yet again, and were going to lose to Burnley. I put £20 on Leicester to go down that morning at 10/1. Sure enough, we were 5/1 by the evening. Another abject away performance, defeat and failure to score, and the centre half void we had identified filled by Molla Wague of Udinese, the very definition of a panic buy. It was a joke signing in a joke window following a joke performance. An absolute disgrace.

1. Millwall 1-0 Leicester. Those two alone would take some beating, but this was on a completely different level. We started brightly in this game and I expected us to demonstrate our quality we supposedly had and see this one off pretty convincingly. But slowly, we allowed Millwall into the game. I should've known really, Ranieri had branded us (the Premier League champions) as underdogs prematch (against a League One side) so what unfolded shouldn't be a huge surprise. But in the second half, Millwall go down to ten men. Surely we can't blow this. Millwall haven't shown a jot of quality all game, they fight, but they're garbage. There is no excuses. Okazaki sensationally puts a chance from 4 yards straight at the keeper with about 15 to go and I'm starting to think that with every little thing on our side, we could seriously lose this. "Dan, Millwall are 20/1 to win this you know" my mate shouts to me with 5 minutes left. It's scummy of me, but I can't be sentimental when gambling, and I never bet while at a game but this was just too good a price to turn down, you could see it coming. I got 28/1, and put a fiver on. Within two minutes, they've done it. Millwall fans go absolutely mental (and no exaggerating here, incredible scenes) and the whistles echo around the ground during injury time. This really is it for Ranieri, surely. Full time goes, I'm £140 richer but I couldn't be angrier. "FUCK OFF.... FUCK OFF.... FUCK OFF.... FUCK OFF.... FUCK OFF.... FUCK OFF" I just keep shouting. I've never been this angry at a game in my life. A great chance to get to the last eight blown in the most disgraceful fashion. We have gone out of the FA Cup to a ten man League One side. It was so bad it was almost impressive. For me, the second worst result I have ever seen at Leicester behind the Wycombe debacle, and in some ways this was worse, this was a team who had won the league, reduced to total embarrassment.

'Honorable' mentions to every single away game under Ranieri minus Spurs & Stoke, Chelsea at home, Man Utd at home and Porto away.

Best

Had a hell of a night at the back of the stand at Loftus Road in 30 degree heat winning 6-0. 

1 nil down at Brighton with 10 minutes to go, won 2-1. Another great away day memory to keep.

Great scenes when news of Villa scoring on the last day filtered through.

Worst

The stuttering spell with Gayle injured where it cost us smashing the league. Losing 3-0 at rubbish Ipswich was particularly infuriating.

Having to put up with Jack Colback for large parts of the season.

19 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Best

Had a hell of a night at the back of the stand at Loftus Road in 30 degree heat winning 6-0. 

1 nil down at Brighton with 10 minutes to go, won 2-1. Another great away day memory to keep.

Great scenes when news of Villa scoring on the last day filtered through.

Worst

The stuttering spell with Gayle injured where it cost us smashing the league. Losing 3-0 at rubbish Ipswich was particularly infuriating.

Having to put up with Jack Colback for large parts of the season.

Room temperature

Best - Can't think of many matches that have been any good to be honest but the way the young lads have reacted to being thrown into a relegation battle against blokes whilst they're still developing has probably been a highlight. The likes of Myles Judd, Josh Koroma, Steven Alzate, Sam Dalby and Tristan Abrahams have been particularly pleasing and they're hopefully going to be around next year.

Worst - What's the word limit on a single post on here? Relegation is pretty bad, despite it being on the cards for months but the general mismanagement of the club by Francesco Becchetti is definitely the worst part of our season. Players, staff and creditors have been unpaid for months on end, good, honest, hardworking people with the club at heart have been forced out of their jobs by the board, the destruction of the playing staff, leaving a threadbare and inexperienced side, winding up orders and not knowing whether we'll even have a club in August.

Archived