• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

George Floyd Death - Derek Chauvin Guilty of Murder

football forum

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ...Dan said:

What the fuck is this? Thank you for sacrificing your life?

That's so fucking stupid. Thanking a dead man for getting murdered on film is just... it's just weird as fuck.

I'm glad Chauvin was found guilty, because I watched the video and watched him kill a man - just like millions of people around the world did. But I'm sure I speak for shitloads of people who saw the video who will think I'd be a lot more fucking thankful if he hadn't been murdered by a police officer.

I cheered when I found out he was found guilty. But I don't understand how he was found guilty of of 3 different degrees of murder? 

1 minute ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I cheered when I found out he was found guilty. But I don't understand how he was found guilty of of 3 different degrees of murder? 

I doubt many of us here will know too much about how the US legal system works. I don't really even know how the UK one works xD

I imagine if you're guilty of the most serious degree of murder you were charged with, all the lesser counts you'd be guilty of as well? But I have no clue.

12 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@nudge  you know everything about everything?? 

12 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I doubt many of us here will know too much about how the US legal system works. I don't really even know how the UK one works xD

I imagine if you're guilty of the most serious degree of murder you were charged with, all the lesser counts you'd be guilty of as well? But I have no clue.

Yes.

They were trying to see which charge would stick, and since they managed to convict him with the charge that was the most difficult to prove beyond a reasonable, that automatically means he should be convicted of the other two charges. 

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

They will have to segregate him in nick being an ex-cop and classed as a killer of a civilian, he had better watch his back, segregated or not. 

Too easy lol.

9 hours ago, Harry said:

Without the video taken by the 17 yr old female bystander this transcript would have been the definitive account of the end of George Floyd's life

20210421_131508.jpg

That is massively corrupt if that is actually the report

• Subscriber
13 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

What will the sentence be?

It will be another eight weeks before Hennepin County Judge Peter Cahill will sentence Chauvin, allowing time to consider the options.

Under Minnesota guidelines, the minimum sentence is 12.5 years for the most serious charge, according to news agency Reuters.

However, the three counts - which all require Chauvin's actions to have led to Mr Floyd's death but interpret his intentions differently - have varying maximum sentences.

The most serious charge, second-degree murder - which applies if you commit a serious assault which played a substantial role in causing an unintentional death - carries a maximum penalty of 40 years.

Third-degree murder - defined as showing a reckless disregard for human life while in "depraved mind" by doing something considered "eminently dangerous" to another person resulting in their death - carries a maximum penalty of 25 years.

Manslaughter in the second degree - defined as acting negligently, creating unreasonable risk, and consciously taking chances of killing or harming another person - carries a maximum sentence of 10 years or a fine of $20,000.

Prosecutors are asking for higher than the minimum sentence, arguing there were aggravating circumstances - including the arrest taking place in front of a nine-year-old child.

It is unclear whether the judge is likely to impose concurrent (served at the same time) or consecutive (served one after the other) sentences for each count. Concurrent sentences would amount to 12.5 years at least, while consecutive sentences could mean as long as 75 years behind bars, although parole is usually granted two-thirds of the way through a sentence, according to news agency AP.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56829289

5 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Protests and riots will still happen until police reform ultimately happens. They are poorly trained and are far too protected by their departments and unions. A recipe for disaster. 

I actually think it’s pretty disgusting how much money the police union spent defending a man who the world saw murder someone on video.

Is that all paid for by the taxpayers of that city? If so... that’s mental.

It really is interesting in America seeing that some unions are practically worthless and some have so much power.

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Yes.

They were trying to see which charge would stick, and since they managed to convict him with the charge that was the most difficult to prove beyond a reasonable, that automatically means he should be convicted of the other two charges. 

Second degree murder was the worst charge wasnt it?  So he will be sentenced based on that is that right?

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Protests and riots will still happen until police reform ultimately happens. They are poorly trained and are far too protected by their departments and unions. A recipe for disaster. 

And to many ex-army vets who still think they are in a war zone like the middle east and have to stay alive at all costs, somebody they tell to stop stops and puts his hands in his pocket for maybe a tissue then they shoot, America nowadays still live in the Wild West era with Billy the Kid and Wyatt Earp's running around with the gun laws they still have.

For the life of me why (so it seems) they have a policy 'shoot to kill', train officers to shoot for the lower leg area and that person would hit the deck I can assure you of that if they do have a gun in there hands then a shoulder shot would do the trick but if you miss so be it.

3 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Ok I'm confused. How can you murder someone accidentally and intentionally?

2nd degree murder - Murder without intent

3rd degree murder - Murder without intent that was caused by an act that was considered dangerous

2nd degree manslaughter - Murder caused by negligence and without intent. 

The 2nd degree murder charge was the toughest to prove beyond a reasonable doubt. The fact the jury were able to convict him of that, by definition means he is also guilty of the lesser two charges. 

4 minutes ago, Cicero said:

2nd degree murder - Murder without intent

3rd degree murder - Murder without intent that was caused by an act that was considered dangerous

2nd degree manslaughter - Murder caused by negligence and without intent. 

The 2nd degree murder charge was the toughest to prove beyond a reasonable doubt. The fact the jury were able to convict him of that, by definition means he is also guilty of the lesser two charges. 

Ow right I get it.

• The title was changed to George Floyd Death - Derek Chauvin Guilty of Murder

Archived