• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

George Floyd Death - Derek Chauvin Guilty of Murder

football forum

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Cicero said:

Because how does this actually help progression? Enlighten me. 

When any time a white officer does anything to a black man, the automatic narrative was that it was racially motivated. When you have thousands of celebrities and athletes, or anyone with a platform, claiming this was an act of racism (with zero evidence to support this) and the bloody democratic presidential candidate saying black people aren't safe to walk the streets, they are only prolonging the oppressed mindset suffered by black Americans and enhancing the racial divide. 

At this stage progression certainly isn't some sort of group cognitive behavioural therapy to treat anxiety. If anything that is disturbing.

3 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

At this stage progression certainly isn't some sort of group cognitive behavioural therapy to treat anxiety. If anything that is disturbing.

But jumping to conclusions and creating false narratives to enhance anxiety, isn't? 

Just now, Cicero said:

But jumping to conclusions and creating false narratives to enhance anxiety, isn't? 

This is about you. Spending your time picking holes in the weakest arguments instead of holding up the strongest arguments to force change. There's something suspicious about it. I'd posit it is something along the lines of opposition to the movement itself.

A man on his belly on the floor, unarmed, not resisting, handcuffed and surrounded by four cops. And you’re telling me the cop’s actions (who has had prior incidents against minorities in his career) weren’t racially motivated. Absolute bollocks. 

Not all killings and arrests of black people are racially motivated by the police, of course not. But it’s absolutely happening everyday, whether you wish to believe it or not. 

1 minute ago, Rick said:

A man on his belly on the floor, unarmed, not resisting, handcuffed and surrounded by four cops. And you’re telling me the cop’s actions (who has had prior incidents against minorities in his career) weren’t racially motivated. Absolute bollocks. 

Not all killings and arrests of black people are racially motivated by the police, of course not. But it’s absolutely happening everyday, whether you wish to believe it or not. 

Didn't know that, what did he do?

16 minutes ago, Spike said:

I’ll have to find a breakdown of it. But he had 18 complaints about him. The Asian officer also had 6 complaints about him, some of which are still ongoing. 

Chauvin has used fatal force in incidents with minorities before. It’s not his first rodeo. 

3 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

This is about you. Spending your time picking holes in the weakest arguments instead of holding up the strongest arguments to force change. There's something suspicious about it. I'd posit it is something along the lines of opposition to the movement itself.

Again, my first post on the matter highlighted the issue of police brutality in the states. My point is that until there is massive police reform, we are only doing more damage if every assault a white cop does to a black civilian is automatically deemed racially motivated when there is still not enough evidence presented. When those with a major platform contribute to this, it creates the false narrative that all cops target black people specifically. How are African Americans suppose to progress from their oppressive mindset when people are telling them to think they are the only ones specifically targeted? 

2 minutes ago, Rick said:

Just now, Rick said:

I’ll have to find a breakdown of it. But he had 18 complaints about him. The Asian officer also had 6 complaints about him, some of which are still ongoing. 

Chauvin has used fatal force in incidents with minorities before. It’s not his first rodeo. 

He's had 17 complaints in total before this one. All involving police brutality and all involving different races. Many complaints from whites.  I think this evidence suggests incompetence over racism. 

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, Spike said:

2 minutes ago, Rick said:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/01/us/derek-chauvin-what-we-know-trnd/index.html

Quite a bit of info in there.

Work closed after being there only two hours, closed up shop for safety precautions. Apparently BestBuy got looted near my house as well, 50+ people stormed it. I can't believe there are leeches using the protests as cover for thievery. 

2 hours ago, Cicero said:

He's had 17 complaints in total before this one. All involving police brutality and all involving different races. Many complaints from whites.  I think this evidence suggests incompetence over racism. 

It could be both. they aren't mutually exclusive

2 hours ago, Cicero said:

Again, my first post on the matter highlighted the issue of police brutality in the states. My point is that until there is massive police reform, we are only doing more damage if every assault a white cop does to a black civilian is automatically deemed racially motivated when there is still not enough evidence presented. When those with a major platform contribute to this, it creates the false narrative that all cops target black people specifically. How are African Americans suppose to progress from their oppressive mindset when people are telling them to think they are the only ones specifically targeted? 

Incompetence?! Are you joking me? Numerous counts of brutality and involved in at least two fatalities, one of them being straight up murder. That’s not incompetence; that’s a scumbag thug. 

10 minutes ago, Spike said:

It could be both. they aren't mutually exclusive

7 minutes ago, Rick said:

Incompetence?! Are you joking me? Numerous counts of brutality and involved in at least two fatalities, one of them being straight up murder. That’s not incompetence; that’s a scumbag thug. 

By sheer definition it is police incompetence. His prior records show the very nature of why there needs to be police reform. However, I still haven't seen anything glaring that constitutes blatant racism given his priors also has a magnitude of complaints from white people. 

I'm more interested in learning if Chauvin has a past record of showing racial epithet towards blacks. A history of using derogatory remarks or racial slurs against blacks and other minorities that can be used  to question his defence if he claims this was not racially motivated. 

1 minute ago, Spike said:

@Eco
@Dr. Gonzo
@Cicero

and any other member living in the USA, I hope you gentleman are safe. 

You too mate. How are things out in your neck of the woods?

Last night was pretty surreal. Windows were smashed out on the first floor of the building I live in (thankfully I'm not ground level or facing the street really), sirens going off constantly from sunset until 4 in the morning. In the daytime, watching the local news and seeing cops square off with peaceful protestors on my street was surreal - especially when things looked so peaceful and then the news started reporting tear gas had been fired. But even after that initial chaos, things mellowed and it gradually looked to be pretty calm. Right up until the sun went down.

What happened at night was just scary. It's not really fair on any of the people and businesses that had property destroyed. I feel for the families with young kids who were probably up terrified all night. It was made worse by after 10pm there was virtually no local news coverage of what the fuck was happening. I relied on people streaming live from a link posted to reddit to find out what was going on in my neighborhood without fear of rubber bullets or teargas interfering my ability to figure out what was going on. It was interesting to see people going out to try to keep everyone in the neighborhood informed of what was going on... and seeing sort of what some peoples' limits to being exposed to that was.

Some livestreamers called it a night fairly early on, saying "hey this is too dangerous for me, I don't feel comfortable out here." For some it was tear gas. For others it was the pepper balls (I still don't know what these are). For others it was the rubber bullets. At 3 in the morning the last streamer I was watching got arrested, although I'm not sure he was involved in the rioting - as far as I could tell he was just documenting it.

I suppose shit like that is part of a tradeoff when you live around a city centre… but I've been in this neighborhood for a while now and I've just never seen anything like this ever here. Other protests in the past have been so much smaller and quieter. This one, both day time and night time were so much bigger than anything else I'd seen in terms of a protest/riot in America.

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

By sheer definition it is police incompetence. His prior records show the very nature of why there needs to be police reform. However, I still haven't seen anything glaring that constitutes blatant racism given his priors also has a magnitude of complaints from white people. 

I'm more interested in learning if Chauvin has a past record of showing racial epithet towards blacks. A history of using derogatory remarks or racial slurs against blacks and other minorities that can be used  to question his defence if he claims this was not racially motivated. 

It's the same in Canada. The black Woman who got killed in Toronto wasn't recorded. So there's not even proof the Police killed her at all. If this happened to a White person, no one would have cared. 

This post is a tad controversial for sure, but my problem is that there was little proof it was racially driven and that blacks while do get subjected to racism more often than others, they aren't the only ones who get abused. The Asians, Latino's, Natives and others as well. If we go out of the USA (because protests have gone elsewhere ridiculously) racial issues are different everywhere. 

Also as @Spike said, there are criminals who are using this as a scapegoat to loot. Obviously does not apply to everyone, but it does exist as a problem.

Montreal protests have gotten violent. This time it IS for George Floyd and not for the women in Toronto. Donald Trump's name on graffiti, etc.

It's utterly pathetic. Again, show solidarity if you want. We're in a different country though and Trump doesn't give a shit about what happens outside of the USA. All the people are doing here are raising taxes and destroying their own city for no reason.

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

You too mate. How are things out in your neck of the woods?

Last night was pretty surreal. Windows were smashed out on the first floor of the building I live in (thankfully I'm not ground level or facing the street really), sirens going off constantly from sunset until 4 in the morning. In the daytime, watching the local news and seeing cops square off with peaceful protestors on my street was surreal - especially when things looked so peaceful and then the news started reporting tear gas had been fired. But even after that initial chaos, things mellowed and it gradually looked to be pretty calm. Right up until the sun went down.

What happened at night was just scary. It's not really fair on any of the people and businesses that had property destroyed. I feel for the families with young kids who were probably up terrified all night. It was made worse by after 10pm there was virtually no local news coverage of what the fuck was happening. I relied on people streaming live from a link posted to reddit to find out what was going on in my neighborhood without fear of rubber bullets or teargas interfering my ability to figure out what was going on. It was interesting to see people going out to try to keep everyone in the neighborhood informed of what was going on... and seeing sort of what some peoples' limits to being exposed to that was.

Some livestreamers called it a night fairly early on, saying "hey this is too dangerous for me, I don't feel comfortable out here." For some it was tear gas. For others it was the pepper balls (I still don't know what these are). For others it was the rubber bullets. At 3 in the morning the last streamer I was watching got arrested, although I'm not sure he was involved in the rioting - as far as I could tell he was just documenting it.

I suppose shit like that is part of a tradeoff when you live around a city centre… but I've been in this neighborhood for a while now and I've just never seen anything like this ever here. Other protests in the past have been so much smaller and quieter. This one, both day time and night time were so much bigger than anything else I'd seen in terms of a protest/riot in America.

I'm fine, the main surge of rioting and protesting is pretty far but the stragglers are out and about here. A 121 year old camera store was burnt down in Chicago though, a third generation owner private business. Why do people do stuff like that? I get looting a massive institution like Apple or Target (not that I abide by it) but it's mental that people will do that to their own neighbours and homes.

2 hours ago, Stan said:

:congrats:

I think if they charge him with first degree murder I don’t think they’ll get a conviction because they have to show it was premeditated beyond a reasonable doubt and that’s really hard to prove. I think it’s really important for these police to be convicted

11 hours ago, Spike said:

I'm fine, the main surge of rioting and protesting is pretty far but the stragglers are out and about here. A 121 year old camera store was burnt down in Chicago though, a third generation owner private business. Why do people do stuff like that? I get looting a massive institution like Apple or Target (not that I abide by it) but it's mental that people will do that to their own neighbours and homes.

Agreed the looting is crazy. Here it was mostly local and not national firms, and I thought breaking into homes was beyond fucked up. It’s 4am here and the night was much quieter and normal than on Sunday night, thankfully. 

• The title was changed to George Floyd Death - Derek Chauvin Guilty of Murder

Archived