talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Freddy Adu Of Your Country

football forum

Let's play a fun little debate game. Here are the rules.

- He must have been a wonderkid

- He must be under 30 but felt like he was there a lifetime.

Freddy Adu was a wonderkid who is selling rugs and vaccuums now but he's only 31. Yet he feels like he's been there a lifetime.

For Peru, it's Angel Romero or Pier Larrauri (ex Leicester and Bayern)

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was talking to @Dan and he told me Ravel Morrison for England.

I was thinking he maybe didn't listen to my rules properly as I thought he was 32 and over... I just learnt he's younger than Lingard. What the fuck!!! 

Just now, Inti Brian said:

Nah, Lingard has been there too little time, where as Ravel feels like he's been there since the start of time.

The joke about Lingard has existed for years.

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Inti Brian said:

Let's play a fun little debate game. Here are the rules.

- He must have been a wonderkid

- He must be under 30 but felt like he was there a lifetime.

Freddy Adu was a wonderkid who is selling rugs and vaccuums now but he's only 31. Yet he feels like he's been there a lifetime.

Your own person doesn't even fit your own rules xDxD 

Adu is over 31 but your rule states he has to be under 30. 

• Administrator

Anyway, Jack Rodwell (29) and Jose Baxter (28) come to mind.

Not sure if they met the 'wonderkid' label, though. 

Also, Pier Larrauri never played for us. He was in our youth squads and that was it. Doubt he was a wonderkid. 

• Subscriber

I've just learnt Lingard is 27. Wow.

I remember there being a lot of hype about John Fleck (28) with Fergie wanting to sign him at one point but never really lived up to the hype. Still, he's playing Premier League football with Sheffield United now so not all bad.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Also, Pier Larrauri never played for us. He was in our youth squads and that was it. Doubt he was a wonderkid. 

He wasn’t a world wonderkid but he was touted as a pretty big thing for us and went on trial to Bayern Munich before joining Leicester. Things didn’t pan out sadly but I think the reason it feels like he’s been there forever is because he’s been a part of the media since he was 15.

If it didn't have to be an American, than the obvious ones are...

Bojan (29)
Pato (Just turned 30)

But you took the American version, which of course is Freddie Adu. 

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Stan said:

Anyway, Jack Rodwell (29) and Jose Baxter (28) come to mind.

Not sure if they met the 'wonderkid' label, though. 

Another one to add to this is John Bostock. Again, not sure on the 'wonderkid' level but he started out very young for Palace and Spurs. @The Palace Fan will know more.

Only 28 at the moment. 

• Subscriber

Federico Macheda comes to mind but I don't think he was ever considered a wonderkid? Just hyped up a bit after his first United appearances. Went out on loan a fair bit and was with a few Championship clubs. He plays for Panathinaikos now. He is 28 years old as well. 

3 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

What about Victor Moses?

He's not exactly a "failed" product but he didn't live up to what they said he would be, and he's 29. Feels like 6 years ago he was 28.

A winger with no end product but a good defensive aptitude. No one really knew his best position until Antono Conte. 

A level slightly below Antonio Valencia imo. 

Perhaps not yet, but it's almost six years since Sporting Lisbon bought Ryan Gauld for €3 million from Dundee United. Currently in the Portuguese second tier with S.C. Farense.

Bit harsh to label him as a failure, and has time to get back to a higher level of football.

3 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Perhaps not yet, but it's almost six years since Sporting Lisbon bought Ryan Gauld for €3 million from Dundee United. Currently in the Portuguese second tier with S.C. Farense.

Bit harsh to label him as a failure, and has time to get back to a higher level of football.

9 goals in 21 league apps according to Wikipedia. Even though it's 2nd division, thats still pretty good for an attacking mid.

Hopefully he attracts some attention

Michael Woods, Tom Taiwo and Islam Ferez. All massively priced teenagers, and didn't amount to much.

Ferez, especially, as he hardly made any senior football appearances and hasn't played since being released by Chelsea. Last seen driving an £80,000 Porsche whilst disqualified.

Archived