talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Freddy Adu Of Your Country

football forum

14 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Michael Woods, Tom Taiwo and Islam Ferez. All massively priced teenagers, and didn't amount to much.

Ferez, especially, as he hardly made any senior football appearances and hasn't played since being released by Chelsea. Last seen driving an £80,000 Porsche whilst disqualified.

Islam was the Scottish Wayne rooney apparently

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jack Wiltshire maybe. When he was young he was one of the best 18 year olds on the planet but injuries have affected him terribly.

A strange one but I think Rooney could be on the list. I mean he has had a great career but when he was 18 he was the best 18 year old on the planet. He should be one of England's all time greats. In a way he is because he has the top goalscorer record but he could of been up there with linakar and shearer.

1 hour ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Apart from already mentioned Marko Marin, Lewis Holtby would be another example.

That's a good shout, forgot all about him.

Was highly rated back in the day but didn't do the bits at Tottenham. Can't believe he's only 29.

4 hours ago, Stan said:

Another one to add to this is John Bostock. Again, not sure on the 'wonderkid' level but he started out very young for Palace and Spurs. @The Palace Fan will know more.

Only 28 at the moment. 

Yeah he's accepted now he had some terrible advice from his agent and his step father at the time. Made his debut at 15 and we were looking to build a team around him by the time he was 17.

It's hard to pick one disappointment for England in our age group as none of them lived up to their potential.

Francis Jeffers. Started brightly at Everton, made a big move to Wenger's Arsenal - meant to be a "fox in the box" but failed miserably at Arsenal and was never really anywhere near the same player he once was.

12 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Oh Jeffers isn't under 30. But he was washed up well before he was 30, so I think he'd still be our Freddy Adu.

I was thinking Jeffers yesterday. It just didn't happen for him after that big money move to Arsenal and he never recovered.

He's over 30 but one of the biggest one's for me was Sebastian Deisler. Hailed as the next big thing and the future of German football, he just fizzled right out. Injuries played a big part I think but he still flattered to deceive.

Denilson was another too. Remember when he was the face of the Nike adverts, supposedly the new wonderkid of football and Betis signed him for £20 odd million and he was a total car crash. Just did not do anything for club or country after.

39 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I was thinking Jeffers yesterday. It just didn't happen for him after that big money move to Arsenal and he never recovered.

He's over 30 but one of the biggest one's for me was Sebastian Deisler. Hailed as the next big thing and the future of German football, he just fizzled right out. Injuries played a big part I think but he still flattered to deceive.

Denilson was another too. Remember when he was the face of the Nike adverts, supposedly the new wonderkid of football and Betis signed him for £20 odd million and he was a total car crash. Just did not do anything for club or country after.

It's quite unfair to mention Deisler in this context, in my opinion, since he suffered and is still suffering from severe depressions and ended his career at the age of only 27 years in 2007. If you're looking for a German Freddy Adu, Marko Marin and Lewis Holtby (although the latter was more rated in England than in Germany) are the better shouts by far.

1 hour ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

It's quite unfair to mention Deisler in this context, in my opinion, since he suffered and is still suffering from severe depressions and ended his career at the age of only 27 years in 2007. If you're looking for a German Freddy Adu, Marko Marin and Lewis Holtby (although the latter was more rated in England than in Germany) are the better shouts by far.

I agree with Marin and Holtby and understand where you are coming from sympathising with Deisler.

I'm in no way trying to victimise someone with mental health illness but let's be blunt, he was built up not just as future star but as the big hope for German football. Bigger than the two you mentioned. He was meant to go global. And it didn't happen.

For me, he fits the description of a wonderkid that never went on to fulfill the hype, irrespective of the reasons.

However, as someone who has watched far more bundesliga than me, I accept you'd be better placed to judge.

22 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Jack Wiltshire maybe. When he was young he was one of the best 18 year olds on the planet but injuries have affected him terribly.

A strange one but I think Rooney could be on the list. I mean he has had a great career but when he was 18 he was the best 18 year old on the planet. He should be one of England's all time greats. In a way he is because he has the top goalscorer record but he could of been up there with linakar and shearer.

Rooney?! No chance. He was exceptional. 

5 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Yeah I'm pretty sure Rooney lived up to expectations. 

He didn't in the sense that he was supposed to be as good as Ronaldo, but you definitely cannot call him a failure either. In his prime he was exceptional.

I see Rooney in the same sense as Jefferson Farfan. Farfan was supposed to be the second coming of Teofilo Cubillas. He was scoring loads in the league at 17 and quickly made a big impression at PSV and then early on at Schalke. However, he didn't become as good as he could have been. A player as talented as him could have played for the worlds biggest clubs but poor decisions and discipline let him down. I see Rooney in the same light really, except he didn't become the "worlds best player" as he was predicted for other motives.

1 minute ago, Inti Brian said:

I see Rooney in the same sense as Jefferson Farfan. Farfan was supposed to be the second coming of Teofilo Cubillas. He was scoring loads in the league at 17 and quickly made a big impression at PSV and then early on at Schalke. However, he didn't become as good as he could have been. A player as talented as him could have played for the worlds biggest clubs but poor decisions and discipline let him down. I see Rooney in the same light really, except he didn't become the "worlds best player" as he was predicted for other motives.

I'd say that Rooney playing for Manchester United is proof this comparison doesn't work. 

Rooney was incredible, so I'm not sure why his name is getting brought up? 

A quick list of Rooney's career in Europe. If you think he didn't live up to his potential, you are seriously messed up. 

Records

•  

19 minutes ago, Toinho said:

Rooney?! No chance. He was exceptional. 

He was exceptional but when he was young it seemed like he could have been the best player on the planet. He was never at that level

4 minutes ago, Eco said:

A quick list of Rooney's career in Europe. If you think he didn't live up to his potential, you are seriously messed up. 

•  

I'm not saying he wasn't a great player. A lot of people on this forum said he was average I've always said he was a top player. But when he was 18 it seemed like he could have been the best in the world. He was better than Ronaldo at 18 but Ronaldo was clearly better over the course of his career.

2 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

He was exceptional but when he was young it seemed like he could have been the best player on the planet. He was never at that level

He's the All-Time Scorer at one of the biggest clubs in the world, and leading scorer for his country...what the else could he have done? 

Archived