talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Freddy Adu Of Your Country

football forum

Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

I'm just using it because I can't remember back then exactly. But yeah there were normally between 4 and 7. Which is a lot for a player who was supposed to be the next best player in the world. I mean if mbappe were to have the career that Rooney had it would be fair to say he hasn't reached his full potential even if it was a great career.  Well Rooney was regarded that highly at his age.

See, if Mbappe didn't or doesn't become a top 5 player in the world, I would say the same thing when you consider Mbappe was a world class player the day he debuted.

It's just my way of thinking really. 

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Honestly, Pogba’s a better shout than Rooney

Yeah he is but doesn't mean Rooney isn't one. To be honest mate it's gone around in circles abit and I can't be bothered to discuss it any more. I feel like I've made my point. 

3 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

See, if Mbappe didn't or doesn't become a top 5 player in the world, I would say the same thing when you consider Mbappe was a world class player the day he debuted.

That's exactly my point mate. I actually very impressed that you got it. I don't mean that in a patronising way. To be honest I don't always explain things clearly

6 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

Time out...are you saying Mbappe isn't at op 5 player in the world? He was 2nd in scoring at the World Cup, is averaging more goals than games at PSG.....

Why in the world would HIS name be brought up? 

Just now, Storts said:

Either way it’s ludicrous 

It's not.

I've compared Omar Fernandez to Alexis Sanchez before. It doesn't mean I'm comparing their standards. It could mean situation, style or similar traits. 

Big pet peeve of mine that, where if you compare a bad player to a good one, it automatically means you are comparing their standards and that one can tie the other's shoelaces.

• Subscriber
Just now, Inti Brian said:

It's not.

I've compared Omar Fernandez to Alexis Sanchez before. It doesn't mean I'm comparing their standards. It could mean situation, style or similar traits. 

Big pet peeve of mine that, where if you compare a bad player to a good one, it automatically means you are comparing their standards and that one can tie the other's shoelaces.

No the comparison is ridiculous. I don’t want to dignify this any more but you said:

However, he didn't become as good as he could have been. A player as talented as him could have played for the worlds biggest clubs but poor decisions and discipline let him down.“

Which it an utterly ludicrous comparison to make to Rooney who not only played for, but is one of the greatest players of all time for one of the biggest three clubs in the world.

1 minute ago, Storts said:

No the comparison is ridiculous. I don’t want to dignify this any more but you said:

However, he didn't become as good as he could have been. A player as talented as him could have played for the worlds biggest clubs but poor decisions and discipline let him down.“

Which it an utterly ludicrous comparison to make to Rooney who not only played for, but is one of the greatest players of all time for one of the biggest three clubs in the world.

Yeah, if you were from South America and payed any attention to Peru, you would know Jefferson Farfan had potential to play for the worlds biggest clubs. Real Madrid was even interested at one point iirc.

He is regarded here as the only thing close to world class we've had since the 1970's.

Obviously his potential never touched Rooney's which proves my point a bit. He was seen to become a world class player, but never to the heights Rooney was seen to be.

• Subscriber

Yeah, if you were from South America and payed any attention to Peru, you would know Jefferson Farfan had potential to play for the worlds biggest clubs. Real Madrid was even interested at one point iirc.

He is regarded here as the only thing close to world class we've had since the 1970's.

Obviously his potential never touched Rooney's which proves my point a bit. He was seen to become a world class player, but never to the heights Rooney was seen to be.

It doesn’t prove it at all, it contradicts it. The fact is Rooney should be nowhere near this topic. 

Just now, Storts said:

It doesn’t prove it at all, it contradicts it. The fact is Rooney should be nowhere near this topic. 

I agree he shouldn't.

However, the situations are similar. I'm sorry you don't know about Farfan's story. The fact he didn't become world class or didn't play for Real Madrid and the likes shows he didn't reach his potential. Yet he still managed to become a key player for Schalke, something no one else has done in Peru this century besides Pizarro and Solano.

Rooney was like Mbappe when he started, and Mbappe is already one of the best players in the world. What if Mbappe isn't, or soon won't be one of the top 5 or 10 in the world? That's what I don't call fully reaching his potential.

The situations are similar, just a different potential to be reached.

21 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I feel like just looking at Neil Mellor, you could see he was never really going to make it as a top flight player despite his incredible goalscoring record at the reserves and youth level.

He looked like Stevie G’s fat older brother, despite being a few years younger. He didn’t look like a top flight footballer at all.

He and Sinama-Pongolle had some big moments for us that season - I thought Sinama-Pongolle might have actually developed into a decent player at that point in time too (if I recall, he had been given the tag “the next Henry” by Houllier... who kept cursing his signings with these labels he kept putting on them). But I never really had the same confidence in Mellor.

My brother thought he’d be the next Fowler though just because of his record in our youth team though.

There’s probably a shitload of Ged Houllier signings for Liverpool that are a better fit for this thread than fucking Rooney xD, post heart-attack Houllier era Liverpool was an era of utterly shite signings for the most part

Both Pongolle and Anthony Le Tallec were signed with big expectations. Best two players at the youth World Cup that France won in about 2001. 

Comparing Rooney to some fella whose career peaked winning a Pokal at Schalke, fucking hell. Rooney was phenomenal, probably the best English player of my lifetime, if not he’s in the top two. 

It’s mad that there’s a group of people who try and pull apart Rooney and his career, especially his England goalscoring record. 

Just now, Smiley Culture said:

Comparing Rooney to some fella whose career peaked winning a Pokal at Schalke, fucking hell. Rooney was phenomenal, probably the best English player of my lifetime, if not he’s in the top two. 

It’s mad that there’s a group of people who try and pull apart Rooney and his career, especially his England goalscoring record. 

His career peaked by winning the Pokal at Schalke???

Have you forgotten he played a huge part in taking that tinpot team to a CL semi-finals xD

1 minute ago, Inti Brian said:

Have you forgotten he played a huge part in taking that tinpot team to a CL semi-finals xD

Well most fans of Schalke see winning the DFB-Pokal as a better achievement than being in the CL semifinals, so yes. Hope you see the irony of a fan of York9 calling Schalke tinpot.

Just now, Rucksackfranzose said:

Well most fans of Schalke see winning the DFB-Pokal as a better achievement than being in the CL semifinals, so yes. Hope you see the irony of a fan of York9 calling Schalke tinpot.

Fair enough on that.

I don't see what the second point has anything to do with that though...

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

Tinpot team? Pretty sure yesterday or the day before you were using them as an example of a good team that were regularly competing for CL (along with Leverkusen) in the Bundesliga... 

Just now, Stan said:

Tinpot team? Pretty sure yesterday or the day before you were using them as an example of a good team that were regularly competing for CL (along with Leverkusen) in the Bundesliga... 

They don't even come close to being a semi-final team though. So that was a pretty big achievement on it's own.

Maybe I used a harsh term but let's be real. They aren't even close to even Dortmund generally.

They don't even come close to being a semi-final team though. So that was a pretty big achievement on it's own.

Maybe I used a harsh term but let's be real. They aren't even close to even Dortmund generally.

What the absolute fuck is wrong with you? 

28 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Both Pongolle and Anthony Le Tallec were signed with big expectations. Best two players at the youth World Cup that France won in about 2001. 

Yup, I remember that and thinking “one day we’ll have something special” - Pongolle have us some good goals. Le Tallec started in that game against Juve in our CL run, if I remember right (along with Scott Carson).

Carson’s another to add onto the list. Also Chris Kirkland’s a good shout.

Honestly you could probably do a lot of ex-Liverpool & ex-Everton players on this. Ross Barkley was tipped to be the “next Gerrard” but he’s more of this era’s Jenas (Jenas is another one who didn’t live up to early expectations either, still carved out an alright career for himself, same as Barkley... but never reached the heights that were expected once).

3 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

That well known accolade, the semi-finals of the Champions League? 

I genuinely think most people wouldn’t be able to tell you what year you’re even on about. 

Archived