talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Freddy Adu Of Your Country

football forum

For Brazil, I think that Pato was considered to be the next big thing in world football and for a while he did relatively well at AC Milan. However, his career pretty quickly proceeded to nosedive. He left Milan and returned to Brazil where he wasn't amazing either. His only real success at club level was in China, but that's not saying much given the low level of football played there.

Pato is still only 30, but he seems to have been around for an eternity.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Michael said:

Hey, my grandma is better than your grandma! xD

I still am very confused as to why people are seeing this as a feud. It never once got to those heights.

Just me and gunnersaurus defending our points. That’s all. Nothing wrong with that.

1 minute ago, Machado said:

I don't know about the Freddy Adu of my country but I know of a Freddy Adu of my club. His name was... Freddy Adu.

What about Bebe?

Not sure he was a wonderkid but he's only 29... :o 

1 minute ago, Inti Brian said:

What about Bebe?

Not sure he was a wonderkid but he's only 29... :o 

Bebe was never a wonder kid. Most people, even in Portugal, did not know who he was up until the Man United transfer. Everyone was in shock when it happened. He was a Mendes scam.

1 minute ago, Machado said:

Bebe was never a wonder kid. Most people, even in Portugal, did not know who he was up until the Man United transfer. Everyone was in shock when it happened. He was a Mendes scam.

The darkest side of agent that is. The Ronaldo deal established that working relationship between Mendes and Ferguson.

• Subscriber

What about Max Meyer? Only 24, hailed as a wonderkid and a "German Messi", then was suddenly left without a club and is now struggling at Palace too. Granted, he is still young enough and has time to turn it around but can't see him having a career that he was expected to.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, nudge said:

What about Max Meyer? Only 24, hailed as a wonderkid and a "German Messi",

In German or any other languages :ph34r:?

1 minute ago, nudge said:

What about Max Meyer? Only 24, hailed as a wonderkid and a "German Messi", then was suddenly left without a club and is now struggling at Palace too. Granted, he is still young enough and has time to turn it around but can't see him having a career that he was expected to.

I'm going to be honest, I was pretty excited when he came to Palace because I thought "well here's a highly rated player and it's Palace, they'll build the side around him and Zaha - we may get to see this kid blow up into a superstar." Instead, it's remained a side that's really just only built around Zaha. And Meyer's been fairly shite the times I've watched him play.

Truly disappointing tbh, because I thought with the hype he'd end up being a player that really changed Palace.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I'm going to be honest, I was pretty excited when he came to Palace because I thought "well here's a highly rated player and it's Palace, they'll build the side around him and Zaha - we may get to see this kid blow up into a superstar." Instead, it's remained a side that's really just only built around Zaha. And Meyer's been fairly shite the times I've watched him play.

Truly disappointing tbh, because I thought with the hype he'd end up being a player that really changed Palace.

It's a shame, as he's clearly very talented, but I think he got screwed by his agent, other people around him and likely his own attitude, apparently caring more about financial gain than his actual career prospects.

19 minutes ago, Stan said:

In German or any other languages :ph34r:?

To be fair, what I said about English media and English football talents is also true for German media and German footballers. Probably the same all over the world. Perhaps you have to read assessments from other countries and in other languages to get an unbiased opinion on a footballer and his aptitude.

Amir fells into that category for us, the next Wasim Akram with the skills with the ball he had and rightfully showed that at the highest level but shame what he did to himself, he's still good but not going to be what he could've been

Just now, Rucksackfranzose said:

To be fair, what I said about English media and English football talents is also true for German media and German footballers. Probably the same all over the world. Perhaps you have to read assessments from other countries and in other languages to get an unbiased opinion on a footballer and his aptitude.

It's definitely the same all over the world.

Just worse in other countries though. I think it's particularly awful in Mexico, Peru, Brazil, England and the USA.

How about that Renato Sanchez?

He is remarkably still only 22 so maybe it's too early to judge.

But that said, he won a golden boy award, had a decent Euro 2016 and awarded young player of the tournament.

From that moment, he was fast tracked to the top what with that big money move to Bayern, and yet from what I saw of him there and in his loan at Swansea, he was bloody awful.

It is actually laughable just how highly rated he was,even when you think he had an £80m release clause at Bayern when he first signed xD

I havent watched much of him at Lille but the stats don't look too clever for someone rated so highly.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

I know mate, didn't quite mean it as a slant to you :D

14 minutes ago, nudge said:

It's a shame, as he's clearly very talented, but I think he got screwed by his agent, other people around him and likely his own attitude, apparently caring more about financial gain than his actual career prospects.

I honestly would have thought a club like Palace were perfectly suited for him - the hype around him coupled with Palace's need for a creative presence in midfield just seemed like a real match made in heaven in terms of going to a club where he could make an immediate impact. Sadly, for whatever reason, I've not gotten to see the very talented player inside Max Meyer - seems like whenever he gets time on the pitch and I'm watching him play for Palace he's average at best.

Wouldn't be the first time a very talented player gets distracted by money or fame and doesn't get to live up to their potential.

Ryan Babel's sort of similar, tbh. Came to us with pretty high expectations, the player he was most often compared with was Thierry Henry (fuck I wish he could have been that good) - I actually don't think Babel was all that bad tbh. He just never really grew as a player and kicked on his development. But at his time with us, he sort of took it for granted that his career would go as it had been predicted... and he started worrying about shite like a rap career and he really took his eye of his career. And Rafa noticed for sure, and he'd never last too long with Rafa thinking he doesn't care all that much about football. And after leaving us... he sort of floated around before finding success again in Turkey.

Max Meyer needs to play for a team that play posession based football. Hes a good ball carrier in the the centre of midfield. The way Roy sets his team up however were better with midfielders who suit counter attacking football and do a lot off the ball. A perfect fit for somebody like James McCarthy. 

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

How about that Renato Sanchez?

He is remarkably still only 22 so maybe it's too early to judge.

But that said, he won a golden boy award, had a decent Euro 2016 and awarded young player of the tournament.

From that moment, he was fast tracked to the top what with that big money move to Bayern, and yet from what I saw of him there and in his loan at Swansea, he was bloody awful.

It is actually laughable just how highly rated he was,even when you think he had an £80m release clause at Bayern when he first signed xD

I havent watched much of him at Lille but the stats don't look too clever for someone rated so highly.

I don't agree with this choice at all. As you said, he's still only 22, that for starters is way too early to pass judgement on him. He was excellent as a teen at Benfica and as you suggested, he was a star player in Portugal's 2016 Euro win.

Sure, he struggled in a star studded Bayern side when he moved to Germany and yes he looked lost at a relegation battling Swansea side when he was loaned out to them. However, he's actually done very well since joining Lille in France and he has regained the kind of form that made everyone drool over him when he was a teen. In fact, he was named in the 2020 Lique 1 team of the season by respected French paper L'Equipe, because of his great performances for Lille this season.

https://portugoal.net/portuguese-abroad/1597-portugal-s-renato-sanches-earns-ligue-1-team-of-the-season-recognition-in-france

Lille are rightfully very happy with the performances of their transfer record signing Renato Sanches.

2 hours ago, nudge said:

I also had him in mind, however, I hesitated to mention him because of his age. But he has been poor at Palace and he can definitely be considered a flop so far at the South London club. Especially considering all the hype and expectations that surrounded him when he was at Schalke. 

2 hours ago, Azeem said:

Amir fells into that category for us, the next Wasim Akram with the skills with the ball he had and rightfully showed that at the highest level but shame what he did to himself, he's still good but not going to be what he could've been

I've never heard of any of those footballers and there I was thinking I was an encyclopedia when it came to footballers. :dam:

1 minute ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Robbie Kruse couldn't kick a football. Never has there been a less lethal shot on goal.

I always thought of Kruse as a bit of a speed merchant, not much else to his game.

Archived