talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Freddy Adu Of Your Country

football forum

Comparing Rooney with Freddy Adu in 2020 is such an absolute joke. Honestly it’s insulting to Rooney.

And I fucking hate Rooney. But he doesn’t be deserve to be compared to Rooney, unless you want to say “they both played for the same MLS team” or “in comparison, Rooney was much better than Freddy Adu.”

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Eco said:

Context. 

Rooney played in the same era as CR, Messi, Xavi, Inesta....you are talking about 4 of the greatest players at their position EVER. 

Mate your really not getting it. I don't mean that in a disrespectful way you know I regard you highly. When he was 18 there were people all over the world who thought Rooney was gonna be the best player in the world. But he probably made the top ten at best. How can you say that a player who people thought was gonna be the best in the world but barely made the top ten lived up to his full potentual.?

You don’t become Manchester United and England’s top scorer without becoming world class at some point in your career, thus reaching your potential.

4 minutes ago, Eco said:

Speaking of real busts...has anyone fallen harder than the Italian bloke who scored the wonder goal for United and then disappeared? He was from future GOAT to ghost in about 3.5 seconds. 

Macheda?

3 minutes ago, Cicero said:

He did. That's what you aren't getting. xD

Again, you are letting Messi and Ronaldo's ability of scoring 50+ goals every season for 10 bloody years tamper your judgement on Rooney. 

Who else was better than Rooney circa 2009-12? 

Probably most of the Barcelona team? But credit to you at least you have understood the point

Just now, DeadLinesman said:

You don’t become Manchester United and England’s top scorer without becoming world class at some point in your career. 

Mate, we've said and admitted he was world class several times throughout this thread.

He didn't live up to his potential though. He came fucking close, but he wasn't the next "Pele" that he was tipped to be by the media.

You don’t become Manchester United and England’s top scorer without becoming world class at some point in your career, thus reaching your potential.

Macheda?

Ouiiii

I kept thinking his name was @Machado, but I knew that wasn't right. 

Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

Probably most of the Barcelona team? But credit to you at least you have understood the point

So Xavi and Iniesta? Two other players who would go down as the greatest of all time?

Thank you for proving mine. xD

2 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

The Guardian in 2004...

70a69ba1cee4c56f6bddb168034755fa.png

This is what we're getting at.

No one said he was a bad player, and I even said this discussion does not belong in a thread about Freddy Adu. Just that he wasn't or wasn't even close to winning a world player of the year.

Exactly Brian. I never said he was a bad player. In fact I said he was exceptional. And actually I've actually defended him over the years against people who have said he was shit

1 minute ago, Inti Brian said:

Mate, we've said and admitted he was world class several times throughout this thread.

He didn't live up to his potential though. He came fucking close, but he wasn't the next "Pele" that he was tipped to be by the media.

Pele - Brazil’s top scorer

Rooney - England’s top scorer

Unless he changed nationality and had a time machine, nobody will be the next Pele. He counted friendly goals against school children ffs xD

3 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Mate your really not getting it. I don't mean that in a disrespectful way you know I regard you highly. When he was 18 there were people all over the world who thought Rooney was gonna be the best player in the world. But he probably made the top ten at best. How can you say that a player who people thought was gonna be the best in the world but barely made the top ten lived up to his full potentual.?

I think that’s more on the people that are thinking an 18 year old is nailed on to be the best player in the world tbh.

Rooney was tipped for a successful career as an important player for the sides he played for. And he did that.

He’s the top scorer for England FFS.

Freddy Adu amounted to literally nothing by comparison. I think that’s why everyone is well against this comparison

3 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Well, a few things. 

Media are too quick to find the next 'GOAT'. Here in the states they scout boys looking for the next Michael Jordan, and it's absurd. You aren't nearly finished developing at even 18, so while columns and people had their opinions that he was on a trajectory to become the greatest in the world, it's still based on opinions and absolutely nothing scientific. I'm also saying that Rooney was a World Class Player, who accolades and awards are likely over shadowed because he played in an era with 4 of the greatest, most exciting players the world has ever seen. 

1 minute ago, DeadLinesman said:

Neither was Paul Scholes. Xavi calls him the greatest midfielder of the last 20 years back in 2009. Go figure.

Was Paul Scholes predicted to be the second coming of Michel Platini though?

I literally provided proof of a piece from 2004 and you all would still rather rely on your memory xD

I said several times, I think he's world class and he came closer to his potential than not. Doesn't belong in a thread about Freddy Adu at all. When Gunnersaurus says "he didn't live up to his potential" though, he's right. The media inflated him when he started and he didn't become the best player in the world.

Pele - Brazil’s top scorer

Rooney - England’s top scorer

Unless he changed nationality and had a time machine, nobody will be the next Pele. He counted friendly goals against school children ffs xD

I didn't say he would be the next Pele, your media did. I was probably just learning how to wipe my ass in 2004.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Exactly Brian. I never said he was a bad player. In fact I said he was exceptional. And actually I've actually defended him over the years against people who have said he was shit

You can't mention him in the same thread with Adu, Marin, Holtby, etc and don't expect the backlash though xD 

1 minute ago, Inti Brian said:

I said several times, I think he's world class and he came closer to his potential than not. Doesn't belong in a thread about Freddy Adu at all. When Gunnersaurus says "he didn't live up to his potential" though, he's right. The media inflated him when he started and he didn't become the best player in the world.

I know you won't see this because you ignored me, but when does media determine one's potential? 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Eco said:

Well, a few things. 

Media are too quick to find the next 'GOAT'. Here in the states they scout boys looking for the next Michael Jordan, and it's absurd. You aren't nearly finished developing at even 18, so while columns and people had their opinions that he was on a trajectory to become the greatest in the world, it's still based on opinions and absolutely nothing scientific. I'm also saying that Rooney was a World Class Player, who accolades and awards are likely over shadowed because he played in an era with 4 of the greatest, most exciting players the world has ever seen. 

I knew people in the States were dumb but it's the wrong sport to be looking for the next GOAT in :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

Was Paul Scholes predicted to be the second coming of Michel Platini though?

I literally provided proof of a piece from 2004 and you all would still rather rely on your memory xD

Imagine relying on your memory and actual experience of watching a player probably close to 100 times LIVE to actually judge said player xD

I’m out. 

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@nudge do you know who that Slovenian player was who was supposed be the next big thing but never quite made it?

Sorry missed this. No idea who you are talking about anyway xD 

10 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

The Guardian in 2004...

70a69ba1cee4c56f6bddb168034755fa.png

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2004/jun/23/euro2004.football

This is what we're getting at.

No one said he was a bad player, and I even said this discussion does not belong in a thread about Freddy Adu. Just that he wasn't or wasn't even close to winning a world player of the year.

Article asks if he would be the new Pele. 

Not that he would be the new Pele...

1 minute ago, Stan said:

I knew people in the States were dumb but it's the wrong sport to be looking for the next GOAT in :ph34r:

:farmer:

My point being that media are quick to assess someone's potential as greater than it is because it'll sell more copies. No longer is (the majority) of journalism based on facts, but more on opinions and whatever sells. 

Archived