talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

MLS Is Back 2020 Final (Portland 2-1 Orlando City SC)

football forum

I can certainly understand the bother with Americans regarding this tournament.

1. A world cup styled tournament is something we'll never see again in the MLS, so I am very much looking forward to this. As a temporary solution it works.

2. The USA isn't really in any position to play sports again this year, so the month long tournament makes sense.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

Oh and the games will be played in Disney World. Fits the Whitecaps perfectly with their mickey mouse philosophy.

They are still miles better than the tinpot that is York9. 

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Finally, a real Mickey Mouse cup.

Particularly Colorado Rapids and Vancouver Whitecaps will enjoy going to Disney World as it suits their mickey-mousery way of running their club perfectly :D 

I interviewed Pedro Gallese today in what might be my best ever interview, and here's an answer I found interesting.

Just for those who say "nationality discrimination" doesn't exist in football :) 

The new manager and staff at Veracruz that had joined in that final season decided they wanted a Mexican goalkeeper. They told me personally and I saw my next options

7 minutes ago, Stan said:

Gallese is one hell of a coup. Well done on that.

how many other people are there in Enganches Vision or just you?

I’m the only writer. I did gather a team a while back but we went on hiatus and it didn’t really work. We do have a different social media guy though.

As for past interviews, for this website specifically I’ve talked to Colorado Rapid’s Adbul Rwatubyaye (Rwandan international) and Nestor Clausen (1986 World Cup winner)

Reports are that a 2nd Atlanta United has tested positive for COVID-19..I have heard requests for the MLS to potentially postpone or cancel the upcoming tournament. 

• 2 weeks later...

Carlos Vela has announced that he won't be traveling to Orlando for the tournament.

This is pointless, the MLS should just cancel this entire tournament. Florida is getting destroyed with COVID and it's pointless to play this tournament.

It's been a complete farce and should be abandoned.

It's been badly thought out and trying to balance all the scenarios at once. These billionaire owners have to just cut it that they'll not make their money this year.

1 minute ago, RevFan said:

It's been a complete farce and should be abandoned.

It's been badly thought out and trying to balance all the scenarios at once. These billionaire owners have to just cut it that they'll not make their money this year. 

It's looking worse and worse as news is reporting events taking place.

I just don't see the purpose of this, especially when numbers in Florida are growing at such a pace that it's truly a pandemic all over again.

6 minutes ago, Eco said:

It's looking worse and worse as news is reporting events taking place.

I just don't see the purpose of this, especially when numbers in Florida are growing at such a pace that it's truly a pandemic all over again.

If NBA players don't trust that league to figure it out, I can't think that MLS wouldn't be any better.

1 minute ago, RevFan said:

If NBA players don't trust that league to figure it out, I can't think that MLS wouldn't be any better.

It's not a player issue though, the NBA makes a lot more money than the MLS. Most recent reports suggest only 2-3 teams in the MLS aren't in the red.

Cancelling the season means solving the issue of Season Tickets, yet still playing the players.

I'm lucky that my Season Tickets to Atlanta United are based on a rich team that has an owner that won't fuck over the fans he cherishes so much.

If I was a fan of FC Dallas, San Jose, or the Revs, it's likely those Season Ticket refund would crush the team.

4 minutes ago, Eco said:

It's not a player issue though, the NBA makes a lot more money than the MLS. Most recent reports suggest only 2-3 teams in the MLS aren't in the red.

Cancelling the season means solving the issue of Season Tickets, yet still playing the players.

I'm lucky that my Season Tickets to Atlanta United are based on a rich team that has an owner that won't fuck over the fans he cherishes so much.

If I was a fan of FC Dallas, San Jose, or the Revs, it's likely those Season Ticket refund would crush the team.

Sorry, my point was about Vela pulling out isn't going to be the last one. NBA players are dropping out and don't seem to trust the NBA to get it right. 

If a league with that much resources and money can't be trusted to get it right, what chance does the MLS have?

I'm sure Mr Kraft would be able to stick his hand in his pocket to refund the season ticket holders.

Apologies to the owners, but shit happens and they can't start opening stadiums when the country is in crisis to make their money. This wasn't a guarantee to print dollars when they bought it, time to suck it up like the rest of us.

Just now, RevFan said:

Sorry, my point was about Vela pulling out isn't going to be the last one. NBA players are dropping out and don't seem to trust the NBA to get it right. 

If a league with that much resources and money can't be trusted to get it right, what chance does the MLS have?

I'm sure Mr Kraft would be able to stick his hand in his pocket to refund the season ticket holders. 

Apologies to the owners, but shit happens and they can't start opening stadiums when the country is in crisis to make their money. This wasn't a guarantee to print dollars when they bought it, time to suck it up like the rest of us.

Damn, wasn't even aware that Robert was the owner of the Revs. Yeah, they are fine.

You say shit happens, but this is a league that forces teams to pay a ton of money to join, not make a lot of money off their TV rights, and the sponsorships, viewership, and all are still behind the NHL in the country.

If I owned an MLS club, I'd be worried as you are bleeding money, and like it or not, clubs are businesses, and much like Wigan, it wouldn't come as a surprise if certain MLS team filed for administration. It's a very troubling fear that some of these owners have to be feeling.

As for the Disney tournament, I'm not sure what is going to happen. I saw a report that 6 or so FC Dallas players tested posted for COVID, Atlanta has report 4 players testing positive, so it makes absolute no sense for this tournament to move forward. But I am worried about the future of the league in terms of how bad COVID has effected teams in terms of money.

2 minutes ago, Eco said:

Damn, wasn't even aware that Robert was the owner of the Revs. Yeah, they are fine.

You say shit happens, but this is a league that forces teams to pay a ton of money to join, not make a lot of money off their TV rights, and the sponsorships, viewership, and all are still behind the NHL in the country.

If I owned an MLS club, I'd be worried as you are bleeding money, and like it or not, clubs are businesses, and much like Wigan, it wouldn't come as a surprise if certain MLS team filed for administration. It's a very troubling fear that some of these owners have to be feeling.

As for the Disney tournament, I'm not sure what is going to happen. I saw a report that 6 or so FC Dallas players tested posted for COVID, Atlanta has report 4 players testing positive, so it makes absolute no sense for this tournament to move forward. But I am worried about the future of the league in terms of how bad COVID has effected teams in terms of money.

But how many owners couldn't afford to ride out the season? And how many of them have had their teams increase hugely in value? FC Dallas were worth $100 million in 2013 and over $200 in 2019.

I'm sure Clark Hunt would still be satisfied if he had to sell and was only left with the Superbowl Champion Chiefs under his ownership.

If you can't afford to pay the bills, perhaps you should sell the house.

20 minutes ago, RevFan said:

But how many owners couldn't afford to ride out the season? And how many of them have had their teams increase hugely in value? FC Dallas were worth $100 million in 2013 and over $200 in 2019.

I'm sure Clark Hunt would still be satisfied if he had to sell and was only left with the Superbowl Champion Chiefs under his ownership.

If you can't afford to pay the bills, perhaps you should sell the house.

Well, there have been numerous reports saying how what Forbes believes teams to be worth in the MLS, is actually very false.

MLS money isn't made public, but there are a ton of sources that show that all but 2-3 teams lose a lot of money annually.

"If you can't afford to pay the bills, perhaps you should sell the house."? We are in the midst of a pandemic and a financial crisis, if you had a house, and lost your job, you'd likely struggle greatly to pay the bills. Same for these owners as they aren't getting ANY income as they normally would with ticket sales, food/alcohol sales, and apparel, yet they are still paying for the salaries of these players, management, and rent for the stadium.

Their have been more established clubs, worth more money, that have gone into administration and fault bankruptcy, and those are teams that are in rich leagues (EPL, Championship, and Serie A), meanwhile we have a horde of MLS clubs that are already bleeding money, a TV contract that expires soon, with a viewership that is not growing as quickly as people think, and it leads to a troubling trend that the MLS could be in trouble.

If COVID ends soon and we can resume normal lives, wonderful.

But if we have to cancel the season, or play without fans, it might really put this league in a rough place.

• The title was changed to MLS Is Back 2020 Final (Portland 2-1 Orlando City SC)
  • The topic was pinned
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived