talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

MLS Is Back 2020 Final (Portland 2-1 Orlando City SC)

football forum

I'm all for football coming back to be honest, but even though Brazilian football is back (and without protocols) I think in a more developed country (though also with a Populist government) this shouldn't go on. At least not in Florida, but I would understand if it's too late to change things. 

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Eco said:

Well, there have been numerous reports saying how what Forbes believes teams to be worth in the MLS, is actually very false.

MLS money isn't made public, but there are a ton of sources that show that all but 2-3 teams lose a lot of money annually.

"If you can't afford to pay the bills, perhaps you should sell the house."? We are in the midst of a pandemic and a financial crisis, if you had a house, and lost your job, you'd likely struggle greatly to pay the bills. Same for these owners as they aren't getting ANY income as they normally would with ticket sales, food/alcohol sales, and apparel, yet they are still paying for the salaries of these players, management, and rent for the stadium.

Their have been more established clubs, worth more money, that have gone into administration and fault bankruptcy, and those are teams that are in rich leagues (EPL, Championship, and Serie A), meanwhile we have a horde of MLS clubs that are already bleeding money, a TV contract that expires soon, with a viewership that is not growing as quickly as people think, and it leads to a troubling trend that the MLS could be in trouble.

If COVID ends soon and we can resume normal lives, wonderful.

But if we have to cancel the season, or play without fans, it might really put this league in a rough place.

I'm not denying that losing the season would be a big blow, but I would draw the line at literal billionaires wanting guys earning $70k to risk their and their families health to have a season.

Just now, RevFan said:

I'm not denying that losing the season would be a big blow, but I would draw the line at literal billionaires wanting guys earning $70k to risk their and their families health to have a season.

Oh  no I absolutely agree that health concerns should be the main focus and if their are any fears, this tournament should be delay/cancelled. I personally don't even like this whole idea.

I'm doing my MLS predictions and I have to ask... what kind of bracket is this?

I can only do groups and they are telling me to come back for the knockouts to do those. That's not how it fucking works xD

Anyways these were my picks.

d96f02c66ff4846d166a93b6a9db9b95.png

• Administrator
31 minutes ago, Mpache said:

I'm doing my MLS predictions and I have to ask... what kind of bracket is this?

I can only do groups and they are telling me to come back for the knockouts to do those. That's not how it fucking works xD

Anyways these were my picks.

d96f02c66ff4846d166a93b6a9db9b95.png

Probably because it involves wildcard picks and 'best 3rd-placed team' from 3 groups. So how would you choose who plays who after group stage finishes unless you do a prediction based on results, not just where a team finishes.

Still not sure how they came up with these groups, but Group F is the 'Group of Death'.

Why Group A has so many teams in it, including the two closet teams to Atlanta, is mind boggling.

Again, there is no fucking point to be playing this tournament. It's pointless and just puts more people at risk.

Garber is looking like a fucking fool for this.

logo25-77x77.png?FiN8GT4lmpbi03Hoondq276

July 8, 2020
Orlando SC vs Inter Miami CF
Nashville SC vs Chicago Fire FC

July 9 , 2020
NYC FC vs Philadelphia Union
Montreal Impact vs NE Revolution
FC Dallas vs Vancouver Whitecaps

July 10, 2020
Toronto FC vs DC United
Seattle Sounders vs San Jose Earthquakes

July 11, 2020
Atlanta United vs New York RB
FC Cincinnati vs Columbus Crew SC

July 12, 2020
Sporting KC vs Minnesota United
Real Slat Lake vs Colorado Rapids

I kind of feel for the organizers of this to be honest. This was planned before the spike in Florida happened, so it's just rotten luck that was the state that would be worst hit in these months. That said, it could have been seen because if Florida did reopen (not 100%) then people would be going out a lot more this time a year. Can't help but feel for them anyways.

7 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Whitecaps just announced Montero, Cavallini, Ricketts, Rose and Mukumbilwa all stayed in Vancouver. Cant blame them one bit, this whole thing is a joke. 

I'll be interested to see who goes from United. With one of our biggest MLB players getting it bad (Freddie Freeman), it would surprise me if some of the United players said no to this tournament and remained at home. 

It's insane to have this go ahead in Florida. That state and Arizona are absolutely rocked by the virus (thank god it's not in Arizona though, 1/3 people tested roughly are testing positive). If you can't even guarantee that teams and their staffs can enter a state without immediately being exposed to the virus (which is a very real risk immediately upon entry of an airport there)... I don't see how they can guarantee the safety of those players for the duration of the tournament in the state.

• Subscriber
28 minutes ago, Eco said:

I'll be interested to see who goes from United. With one of our biggest MLB players getting it bad (Freddie Freeman), it would surprise me if some of the United players said no to this tournament and remained at home. 

They where talking about that on our local radio I want to say a day or two ago as Nick Markakis opted out after he talked with Freeman about what hes going through. This whole thing is just crazy... I think it was Freeman's wife was describing what hes been dealing with since getting sick,  she mentions hes the type of the guy that never gets sick with anything either. 

1 hour ago, Viva la FCB said:

They where talking about that on our local radio I want to say a day or two ago as Nick Markakis opted out after he talked with Freeman about what hes going through. This whole thing is just crazy... I think it was Freeman's wife was describing what hes been dealing with since getting sick,  she mentions hes the type of the guy that never gets sick with anything either. 

Yeah and I am not sure there is a more likable athlete in this city ahead of Freddie Freeman. People love him, and to see him going through this, and now the Mayor of Atlanta...I don't see the point of Atlanta United continuing to take part in such an idiotic tournament. 

• Subscriber

Cavallini just spoke ill paraphrase but basically he said something along of the lines of hes lost 2 family members to covid already and needs to stay home to be with his family durring this time. Just a mind boggling decision to be moving forward with this. 

NYCFC and Philly are kicking off in an hour. 

Strange time for American sports to be played (9am), especially since it's the only match today in this pointless tournament, but oh well. 

• Administrator
42 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Might try and tune in while I’m working.

41 minutes ago, Eco said:

giphy.gif

Likewise.

My first day back after 3 days off and I've planned to watch this even though it'll be probably be shit xD 

• The title was changed to MLS Is Back 2020 Final (Portland 2-1 Orlando City SC)
  • The topic was pinned
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived