talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Aston Villa 0-0 Sheff Utd - Wednesday 17th June, 2020

football forum

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Stan said:

This would make perfect sense but then why did the referee's watch go off at half-time saying it was a goal?

Still smacks to me of a glitch with the connectivity or they forgot to turn it on but I suppose you have to take them on face value because I doubt they'd have the nuts to outright lie about it.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

This would make perfect sense but then why did the referee's watch go off at half-time saying it was a goal?

Still smacks to me of a glitch with the connectivity or they forgot to turn it on but I suppose you have to take them on face value because I doubt they'd have the nuts to outright lie about it.

I don't think it went off at half-time saying it was a goal? I think they tested the watch at half-time to see if it was working properly. And it was.

• Subscriber

You have to laugh as well - this was the fixture that caused so much of the complication in the restarting of the league, or whether to go through with it or not, and the game's been genuinely spoilt by faulty technology.

It's one thing having VAR and poor officials screw you over but that's just an outright failure and I genuinely think it should be replayed - well, Sheffield United should have the option to anyway.

I honestly just can't believe how shambolic this season has been. I've never felt like this about any season. It just doesn't seem legit.

34 minutes ago, Dan said:

You have to laugh as well - this was the fixture that caused so much of the complication in the restarting of the league, or whether to go through with it or not, and the game's been genuinely spoilt by faulty technology.

It's one thing having VAR and poor officials screw you over but that's just an outright failure and I genuinely think it should be replayed - well, Sheffield United should have the option to anyway.

I honestly just can't believe how shambolic this season has been. I've never felt like this about any season. It just doesn't seem legit.

Yeah i said it when Covid first had football postponed that this season should have been voided. Absolute joke from start to finish. 

They say the Premier League is the best in the world haha Its the laughing stock more like. 

Littered with mistakes, VAR an absolute flop, then Covid. You would think during all this time to spare that things would be tweaked and improved somewhat... What happens in the very first game on its return? Goal line technology fails in an absolutely crucial match. You just couldn't make it up. 

I'd rather us not be crowned champions I'm not lying. Coronapool will be our new nickname you watch!

• The topic was unpinned

Aparently Michael Oliver's watch flashed GOAL while he was in the dressing room, incredible really..

And of course all will be swept under the rug, nothing will come of it and imagine if Villa stay up by a point come the end of it.

7 hours ago, DNA said:

Aparently Michael Oliver's watch flashed GOAL while he was in the dressing room, incredible really..

And of course all will be swept under the rug, nothing will come of it and imagine if Villa stay up by a point come the end of it.

I can remember villa having a fair few decisions go against them to be fair

Jack Grealish seemed to really support the neal before the game. Sometime in interviews you can tell they are saying it for the cameras but Grealish really seemed to mean it

11 hours ago, Stan said:

Not quite sure it's as cut and dry as that to be fair to HawkEye.

I'm sure it's rigorously tested as they state and it's just a freak occasion where not one camera at that moment in time could confirm the ball was over the line. It's a shame there's no retrospective viewing of it but in real-time, the chances of not one of the 7 cameras they state at the ground could confirm a goal must be stupidly slim.

I don't think it's as simple as standing near the post.

It's first time hawk eye has gone wrong in what 3 years? I'm not sure why it couldn't have been given after but maybe like you said they couldn't get the right angle or maybe var can't overall it I don't know

• Administrator
9 hours ago, DNA said:

They tested it at half-time to see if it was working. I don't think Oliver's watch buzzing was relating to the actual incident, more the re-test. I could be wrong!

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

It's first time hawk eye has gone wrong in what 3 years? I'm not sure why it couldn't have been given after but maybe like you said they couldn't get the right angle or maybe var can't overall it I don't know

Yeah they said 9000 matches they've done and this has never happened. It's a freak occasion and deeply unfortunate. There's no denying it should have been a goal and even if tech did fail, having learnt VAR could have reviewed it (and it has capability to), then that function should be used, not least officials being savvy enough to think 'wait, that looked over the line, might want to say something to the boss man'!

1 hour ago, Stan said:

They tested it at half-time to see if it was working. I don't think Oliver's watch buzzing was relating to the actual incident, more the re-test. I could be wrong!

Yeah they said 9000 matches they've done and this has never happened. It's a freak occasion and deeply unfortunate. There's no denying it should have been a goal and even if tech did fail, having learnt VAR could have reviewed it (and it has capability to), then that function should be used, not least officials being savvy enough to think 'wait, that looked over the line, might want to say something to the boss man'!

Is var allowed to review that though? Because hawk eye is in place maybe they aren't allowed to? Got to be a reason why it was disallowed

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Jack Grealish seemed to really support the neal before the game. Sometime in interviews you can tell they are saying it for the cameras but Grealish really seemed to mean it

Who is Neal? And why is Grealish supporting him?

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Is var allowed to review that though? Because hawk eye is in place maybe they aren't allowed to? Got to be a reason why it was disallowed

Yeah it was confirmed at half-time VAR could have checked it.

It begs the question what was happening at Stockley Park as all the cameras showed replays almost instantly. 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Yeah it was confirmed at half-time VAR could have checked it.

It begs the question what was happening at Stockley Park as all the cameras showed replays almost instantly. 

Very strange 

Hawk-Eye said that it never happened in like 9000 games as stated in the article. Fair enough technology will never be perfect, however why didn't they check VAR then? I like the goal line technology, it works and things like this are a huge rarity. However i am very much against VAR, it is a good system but the English ref's are managing to fuck it up game after game. I become super triggered when they start drawing line on toes etc, where you have two identical situation in two different games but with two different decisions.

Lots of comments about imagine if we stay up by a point etc but tbh we spent the first half of the season getting fucked by VAR so it’s karma. Also karma for when Sheff United shit housed the ball out our keepers hand and the goal stood last year.

1 hour ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Lots of comments about imagine if we stay up by a point etc but tbh we spent the first half of the season getting fucked by VAR so it’s karma. Also karma for when Sheff United shit housed the ball out our keepers hand and the goal stood last year.

you just lost to Sheff Utd and got a point out of it  

Be happy!

• Subscriber

I was gonna say I'm sure Villa have been fucked their fair share of times by bad decisions.

That was a shambolic decision but any shouts of one decision being decisive in a team staying up or getting into Europe or whatever in a 38 game season are just silly. There have been plenty of decisions across this season especially that have taken the absolute piss.

25 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I was gonna say I'm sure Villa have been fucked their fair share of times by bad decisions.

That was a shambolic decision but any shouts of one decision being decisive in a team staying up or getting into Europe or whatever in a 38 game season are just silly. There have been plenty of decisions across this season especially that have taken the absolute piss.

We are not talking about a dodgy offside decision here mate. It was a stone cold goal that wasn't allowed to stand because of incompetence. Nothing silly about it.

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

We are not talking about a dodgy offside decision here mate. It was a stone cold goal that wasn't allowed to stand because of incompetence. Nothing silly about it.

Again, there have been numerous other decisions that have been clearly ridiculous throughout the season. This one might be the most black and white but that doesn't mean it stands alone amongst match-deciding wrong decisions this season.

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

Again, there have been numerous other decisions that have been clearly ridiculous throughout the season. This one might be the most black and white but that doesn't mean it stands alone amongst match-deciding wrong decisions this season.

And this is exactly why dodgy decisions get accepted... the old 'things even themselves out' story. 

Nope, Sheff Utd were absolutely robbed blind. 

• Subscriber
58 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

And this is exactly why dodgy decisions get accepted... the old 'things even themselves out' story. 

Nope, Sheff Utd were absolutely robbed blind. 

Things most certainly don't even themselves out in general and I've never claimed that they do. I'm just saying that it's stupid to point to that one decision if Villa survive by a single point because then you just open a can of worms where someone else says yeah well they were robbed of two points here and they should have had a penalty there. I'm not saying it's fair and that it evens out, I'm just saying that pointing to one moment in a 38 game season that has seen more awful decisions that I can ever remember already with 8 games to spare, doesn't make any sense.

4 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Things most certainly don't even themselves out in general and I've never claimed that they do. I'm just saying that it's stupid to point to that one decision if Villa survive by a single point because then you just open a can of worms where someone else says yeah well they were robbed of two points here and they should have had a penalty there. I'm not saying it's fair and that it evens out, I'm just saying that pointing to one moment in a 38 game season that has seen more awful decisions that I can ever remember already with 8 games to spare, doesn't make any sense.

Again, we are not talking about a dubious decision here mate. It was the equivalent of someone hitting a 25 yard thunder fucker into the top corner where the ball hits the net and bounces back onto the pitch and the officials say "errrrrr well my watch didn't bling so no goal".

Sheff Utd won that game and the 2 points they lost could be absolutely crucial. As could the 1 point Villa were absolutely gifted. 

Football in this country has now gone beyond a joke and its attitudes like "well it was an honest mistake.. it hasn't happened before... things even themselves out...", that make it even worse. 

Why not people own up to their fuck ups and for example give Sheff Utd the 3 points that they actually won? I mean what harm could it do? Its not like football in general in this country can get any worse is it? 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

Again, we are not talking about a dubious decision here mate. It was the equivalent of someone hitting a 25 yard thunder fucker into the top corner where the ball hits the net and bounces back onto the pitch and the officials say "errrrrr well my watch didn't bling so no goal".

Sheff Utd won that game and the 2 points they lost could be absolutely crucial. As could the 1 point Villa were absolutely gifted. 

Football in this country has now gone beyond a joke and its attitudes like "well it was an honest mistake.. it hasn't happened before... things even themselves out...", that make it even worse. 

Why not people own up to their fuck ups and for example give Sheff Utd the 3 points that they actually won? I mean what harm could it do? Its not like football in general in this country can get any worse is it? 

I'm not talking about dubious decisions either. I'm talking about scandalous and clearly wrong calls that have changed the decisions of matches. This one is the most black and white but not the only one we've seen this season.

Archived