talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Aston Villa 0-0 Sheff Utd - Wednesday 17th June, 2020

football forum

1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

How does the linesman not intervene regardless of the technology? The keeper was so far behind the line with the ball that he was almost coming back round the other side of the post.

They’ve become a backdrop and are utterly fucking useless. Are they still used in Europe behind the goals? I don’t think they ever waved for an issue. 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
2 minutes ago, West of West Ham said:

They’ve become a backdrop and are utterly fucking useless. Are they still used in Europe behind the goals? I don’t think they ever waved for an issue. 

The 5th and 6th officials that stood a bit back and to the side of the goal were a complete waste of time that I never saw once influence a decision and I'm sure they got scrapped. The actual linesmen are what I'm on about.

3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

The 5th and 6th officials that stood a bit back and to the side of the goal were a complete waste of time that I never saw once influence a decision and I'm sure they got scrapped. The actual linesmen are what I'm on about.

Sorry, my initial sentence was a response, and my second was a question. 👍

• Subscriber

That is absolutely bonkers. System has failed and they can’t give the goal despite it being blindingly obvious. That’s harsh on Sheffield United. 

Wasn’t it Villa last season against Leeds where Leeds allowed them to walk the ball into the net after play carried on when it shouldn’t have done and Leeds scored?

Classic case of an overreliance on technology there. Every official (on-field and VAR) clearly blindsided by the false negative.

VAR should've brought it back, but it's clearly not in their remit. Be fuming if you're Sheffield United, but you can't really do anything after the fact

18 minutes ago, West of West Ham said:

truth is, technology has caused more controversy than before it and I don’t know about anyone else, but I’d get rid and leave the decisions to the ref. Was strangely always part of the fun either enjoying a dodgy decision going your way, or having the piss taken out of you when against in the pub with your mates. 

Goal line technology is black and white though. There's never been any issue with it until today

• Subscriber

This was a farcical glitch or oversight if someone forgot to turn the machine on or whatever. I think the latter as they usually give you that simulated version on a replay when there's a goal line decision. It is the first time it's happened as far as I know so seems like human error occurred off the pitch, there's no problem with that aspect of technology in football overall.

Properly reminded me of that Roy Carroll incident though the way he literally climbs out of the net as if nothing happened and seems to thereby convince the officials that their eyes are lying to them.

No blame on the referee himself I don't think as from the live camera angle I couldn't see whether it was in or not and the referee was looking through just as many bodies from the same direction as us.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

This was a farcical glitch or oversight if someone forgot to turn the machine on or whatever. I think the latter as they usually give you that simulated version on a replay when there's a goal line decision. It is the first time it's happened as far as I know so seems like human error occurred off the pitch, there's no problem with that aspect of technology in football overall.

Properly reminded me of that Roy Carroll incident though the way he literally climbs out of the net as if nothing happened and seems to thereby convince the officials that their eyes are lying to them.

No blame on the referee himself I don't think as from the live camera angle I couldn't see whether it was in or not and the referee was looking through just as many bodies from the same direction as us.

Yeah don't think Oliver can take any blame for that. It's where his officials could have helped, mind. But I guess they've got so used to having trust in goalline tech (understandable) they they're not used to flagging for goals now. 

54 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The goal line tech failed, it looks like.

No idea why VAR isn’t involved there, that’s a goal and we all saw that. The way VAR is implemented is why people take such issue with it, and this is why. Seems like the exact reason why VAR exists.

Possibly var can't review it because of goal line technology. I don't know just speculating. What actually happened the goal was disaloud for not crossing the line?

1 minute ago, Dan said:

Sheffield United surely have a case to replay this if they don't win.

Could you imagine if this stays level, and come the end of the season Sheffield miss 5th place by 2 points?

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Could you imagine if this stays level, and come the end of the season Sheffield miss 5th place by 2 points?

Like 2007 all over again getting fucked over. 

(was it 2007 with that West Ham thing?) 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I don't know if anyone remembers this but about 3 years ago Newcastle had a decision go against them that was so ridiculous that they apparently had a case to replay the game if they didn't win it. They won though.

I genuinely wonder if given those circumstances are so farcical that Sheffield United have a genuine case to replay this.

Integrity of this league is absolutely on the floor. You couldn't make up how shambolic it's been right from the off.

• Subscriber

Well this has mostly been garbage, let's be honest. I wish that wasn't the case and I'm not writing off this version of football based on one match because you have to assume not every match will be this bad but I already can't name one thing that happened in that match apart from the latest farcical match-changing call in a season that it's easy to forget has been littered with them.

Villa were reasonably solid there but Grealish is doing everything himself going forward. The lad playing up front looked as if he has something about him but he's clearly inexperienced at this level. Sheffield United may have been solid too and obviously got shafted by a goal that should have stood but at the same time it was a goal of Villa's own making and they themselves offered next to nothing. Villa really could have done with 3 points there at home against a team that haven't really offered anything. If they narrowly get relegated, this is going to be one of those missed opportunities that make the difference.

Hopefully the next game is more interesting than watching a post-lockdown kick about down the local school field because that was shite.

• The title was changed to Aston Villa 0-0 Sheff Utd - Wednesday 17th June, 2020

Sorry, but that non goal is fucking farcical. Sheffield chasing Europe and denied the points to take them up a place. We are away for months, for game back and the goal line technology isn’t working?! Absolutely unacceptable and heads should roll for that. VAR should intervene in cases like that. Pathetic. 

If Aston Villa had anything about them, they should have allowed Sheffield United to walk one in. Morally, that would have been the right thing to do.

I know it's not their fault the technology wasn't working right but they knew it was a goal.

Absolute outrage from them at us last season when we scored and they didn't play to the whistle thinking we'd just play it out, so we let them score.

On the plus side, all that kick up about finishing the season points per game when they had a spare game and they produce a display like that in their game in hand xD

Kind of deserve to go down for me.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Inverted said:

When you build up a system as being infallible, it really is all or nothing. If you can break it by just standing near the post then what's the point. 

Not quite sure it's as cut and dry as that to be fair to HawkEye.

I'm sure it's rigorously tested as they state and it's just a freak occasion where not one camera at that moment in time could confirm the ball was over the line. It's a shame there's no retrospective viewing of it but in real-time, the chances of not one of the 7 cameras they state at the ground could confirm a goal must be stupidly slim.

I don't think it's as simple as standing near the post.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived