talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Racism in TV & Film

football forum

On 12/06/2020 at 14:07, Bluewolf said:

It is worrying, At what point does it stop?? When will people be satisfied?? How many books need to be burned, films destroyed or statues toppled before we can all say we are where we need to be??

Your whole post is spot on but YES to this bit here.

How does one put an end to this? Social justice isn't something that is solved with one decision. It will take years to prove equality in any country. You can't prove justice in just a few days. It takes just one spark for it all to set off again.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Azeem said:

Next Toy Story should be an all girls toy cast standing up against a sexist little boy who always plays them in patriarchal roles

They've already tried this with Ghostbusters and boy oh boy. But this is Hollywood and there is always one constant 'We shall not learn from our mistakes'

Back on Topic

It's weird when you think about how this could potentially end for an industry I quite like ... gaming. Now, we all know how free creative licensing is when it comes to video games and how much more easier it is to portray events in a game with major racial/abusive connotations. But, I fear that once they get one with movies this is the next thing they'll go after. If you ever play the second Wolfenstein and watch the abuse that is portrayed with a recurring theme throughout it (dog first, mother second) you could make the argument that Bethesda are promoting animal and domestic violence.

Or lets go with GTA because if you really want to get upset about racism then try one of the newer ones where the portrayal of the protagonist isn't in a good light at all. Either ways its gotten a bit silly and the question of where do you really stop will have to be sorted out sooner rather than later.

On 12/06/2020 at 19:33, nudge said:

"We were not supporting his views, we were making fun of them. If they can’t see that, if people are too stupid to see that, what can one say?"

:congrats:

From what I've read, in 2003 the BBC edited out the racist language scene in Fawlty Towers with John Cleese's approval. Netflix and UKTV were showing the unedited version which they've now pulled. 

Cleese seemingly was part of the era, the generation, willingly cleaning their language up when it came to using derogatory words for black people and minorities. Now all of a sudden it's something to be allowed? Maybe not by Cleese but by others. Curious. It seems to me that the last five or so years have created black and white positions. You're either team cancel culture or team free speech. No grey allowed any more, pick a side and adopt the views religiously.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Harvsky said:

From what I've read, in 2003 the BBC edited out the racist language scene in Fawlty Towers with John Cleese's approval. Netflix and UKTV were showing the unedited version which they've now pulled. 

Cleese seemingly was part of the era, the generation, willingly cleaning their language up when it came to using derogatory words for black people and minorities. Now all of a sudden it's something to be allowed? Maybe not by Cleese but by others. Curious. It seems to me that the last five or so years have created black and white positions. You're either team cancel culture or team free speech. No grey allowed any more, pick a side and adopt the views religiously.

I agree, thinking in absolutes seems to be more spread in society as a whole. Probably not surprising, as that serves as a mental shortcut for many to deal with increasingly complex world with never ending flow of information. 

As for Cleese example, I think it's just that people have tolerance thresholds and are willing to accept and compromise to a certain degree. That can be an issue with political correctness, as it starts as a good idea one can understand and support and then gets taken ad absurdum. He (and others) might have been supportive of removing certain derogatory words from their work in 2003, doesn't mean he's equally as understanding of some of his work (among others) being removed completely years later. I think the differences in reactions are understandable.

They won't stop doing this even if they topple the statues of every questionable historical figure in the world, censor every movie and television show, and you repeat their words like a mantra. The only positive thing is that the mindset that fuels this can only destroy; it cannot build up anything. It'll be a question of how big the damage will be by the time people get truly sick of this and start rejecting this attitude wholesale. Another possibility is that this entire movement will collapse quickly because broad protest movements can never stay on point for long before they start purity spiralling into absurdity. If you want an example of that happening, look up the Occupy progressive stack on youtube.

• Administrator
34 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

If they touch Blazzing Saddles, I’ll be marching.

I'd find it hilarious ironic if they went for Goodness Gracious Me xD  

On 13/06/2020 at 01:17, Stan said:

More harm in what way?

The product is eventually hated by the audience. The negativity around it. Baring Captain Marvel almost all movies or shows that went with new found agenda (in story or publicity) have suffered. 

And when the organisations didn't listen ie Dave Chapelle stand up act, or GTA , etc the product was more successful.

Also you don't want to give the stupid mob more power. 

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Mel81x said:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-simpsons-and-family-guy-will-also-recast-their-blac-1844189804

I wonder how they're going to find a talking dog to play Brian because its getting a bit silly now.

I can see why they're stepping down but for me the onus is on the people who cast them as those characters in the first place, not the voice actors themselves. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Pyfish said:

I can see why they're stepping down but for me the onus is on the people who cast them as those characters in the first place, not the voice actors themselves. 

While I agree that some of these voice actors stepping down can stem from reasons that they themselves want to put forward and for the most part they are good reasons I don't see how you're supposed to tie the voice of a character to their representation on screen. In fact, I think it does the exact opposite of what the idea is supposed to be. I may be in the minority here when I say this but it doesnt matter who voices a character for me when it comes to artistic representation versus having someone from the same ethnic background voice them.

Now, when it comes to visual representation via actors in a movie that can have a totally different meaning but in this case I don't see that as a big issue but maybe I am wrong or seeing this wrong. 

20 hours ago, Mel81x said:

While I agree that some of these voice actors stepping down can stem from reasons that they themselves want to put forward and for the most part they are good reasons I don't see how you're supposed to tie the voice of a character to their representation on screen. In fact, I think it does the exact opposite of what the idea is supposed to be. I may be in the minority here when I say this but it doesnt matter who voices a character for me when it comes to artistic representation versus having someone from the same ethnic background voice them.

Now, when it comes to visual representation via actors in a movie that can have a totally different meaning but in this case I don't see that as a big issue but maybe I am wrong or seeing this wrong. 

Agreed. 

I understand why they are stepping down but here is my take:

I think it is just big Hollywood players doing their best impression of the 'white man's burden' by tossing those 'poor ethnic actors' a bone, so they can feel good with themselves. It's patronising and condescending, 'hey you have black skin, wanna voice a black character'. It's insulting to their ability as thespians, 'thank you, thank you for this oppurtunity mastah'.These white cunts, these Jewish pricks can fuck right off with their charity (using and abusing their power for decades, now they wanna help!), they still don't get it; acting like colonialism never ended 'we have to do our part and raise up our inferiors'.

• 8 months later...

An Oklahoma sports announcer was captured during a livestream directing racial slurs and expletives toward members of a girls' high school basketball team who were kneeling during the national anthem.

The racist comments came shortly after Norman High basketball players knelt during the playing of the national anthem before a tournament game against Midwest City at Sapulpa High School in Oklahoma.

F--- them, I hope they lose," one of the announcers can be heard saying, apparently not realizing his microphone was audible on the live broadcast. "They're going to kneel like that? Hell no."

"F------ n------," the announcer later says toward the end of the anthem.

The public apology of the announcer...

20210313_194129.jpg

27 minutes ago, Stan said:

He blamed it on his diabetes and sugar levels spiking? What? 

I just think that he can't even deny being a racist person after those comments. Like, there's no subtle anti racial bias there, it's plain as day cursing, 1970's style racism.

• Subscriber
On 13/03/2021 at 14:19, Harry said:

An Oklahoma sports announcer was captured during a livestream directing racial slurs and expletives toward members of a girls' high school basketball team who were kneeling during the national anthem.

The racist comments came shortly after Norman High basketball players knelt during the playing of the national anthem before a tournament game against Midwest City at Sapulpa High School in Oklahoma.

F--- them, I hope they lose," one of the announcers can be heard saying, apparently not realizing his microphone was audible on the live broadcast. "They're going to kneel like that? Hell no."

"F------ n------," the announcer later says toward the end of the anthem.

The public apology of the announcer...

20210313_194129.jpg

I think someone needs to explain to him that you don't tell people you're not a racist and then say the kinds of things you do even if its a sugar spike. I'd be even more surprised if a little digging and asking folks who have worked with him over the years would reveal he does this more regularly than everyone thinks he does. Oh well. 

Archived