talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Best Team To Not Win Each World Cup

football forum

Will make an exception for those years who had by far and away deserved winners.

Basically a thread of the "best team to not win". Of course I'm not saying the winners were "undeserved" but more that they either weren't the best team or that there was a close second. 

1930: Uruguay (deserved)

1934 and 1938: Italy (deserved)

1950: Brazil

1954: Hungary

1958: Brazil (deserved)

1962: Brazil (deserved)

1966: Portugal

1970: Brazil

1974: The Netherlands

1978: The Netherlands

1982: France/Brazil

1986: Argentina (deserved)

1990: Germany (deserved)

1994: Brazil (deserved)

1998: Netherlands (unsure on this one as France was also very good)

2002: Brazil (deserved)

2006: Italy (deserved)

2010: Germany

2014: Germany (deserved)

2018: Belgium (this one will be controversial)

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I agree on Belgium in 2018. I thought they weren't far off France at all - in-fact even the game between the two was very even just settled by a set piece, I also think they'd have beaten Croatia.

France & Belgium were the only two real fancied sides to actually turn up in Russia.

• Subscriber

I've totally misread this, I've assumed you meant the best team in the world cup who didn't win it.

I'm torn. I think Belgium probably played the better football, but when they and France were pitted together France did win the game.

2 minutes ago, Dan said:

I've totally misread this, I've assumed you meant the best team in the world cup who didn't win it.

I'm torn. I think Belgium probably played the better football, but when they and France were pitted together France did win the game.

To be fair, I think most winners were deserved except maybe Argentina in 1978. So you can also view this as close seconds.

On 14/06/2020 at 06:12, CityTheBest said:

2014: Netherlands

That Netherlands side was utterly pathetic. They could barely get past 2 CONCACAF sides and looked bang average outside of the Spain game. 

Take Robben out of that side and they didn't make it out of the groups.

On 13/06/2020 at 13:17, Spike said:

Argentina should have won in 2010 but they had a cocaine processor as a head coach. The best players weren't even picked ffs.

They had a great team on paper for sure. Perhaps their best in this century. However, I still think it was Spain or Germany's to lose in 2010.

1 hour ago, Mpache said:

That Netherlands side was utterly pathetic. They could barely get past 2 CONCACAF sides and looked bang average outside of the Spain game. 

Take Robben out of that side and they didn't make it out of the groups.

They had a great team on paper for sure. Perhaps their best in this century. However, I still think it was Spain or Germany's to lose in 2010.

No they didn't. They had an awful team that left out nearly all their best players.

11 minutes ago, Spike said:

No they didn't. They had an awful team that left out nearly all their best players.

Then they DID have a good team, but just didn't take them. That's on Maradona which backs up both our points.

Just now, Mpache said:

Then they DID have a good team, but just didn't take them. That's on Maradona which backs up both our points.

No they didn't, they had great options but choose a bad team. It can't be a good team if the players aren't on it.

• 8 months later...
On 13/06/2020 at 09:07, Mpache said:

Will make an exception for those years who had by far and away deserved winners.

Basically a thread of the "best team to not win". Of course I'm not saying the winners were "undeserved" but more that they either weren't the best team or that there was a close second. 

1930: Uruguay (deserved)

1934 and 1938: Italy (deserved)

1950: Brazil

1954: Hungary

1958: Brazil (deserved)

1962: Brazil (deserved)

1966: Portugal

1970: Brazil

1974: The Netherlands

1978: The Netherlands

1982: France/Brazil

1986: Argentina (deserved)

1990: Germany (deserved)

1994: Brazil (deserved)

1998: Netherlands (unsure on this one as France was also very good)

2002: Brazil (deserved)

2006: Italy (deserved)

2010: Germany

2014: Germany (deserved)

2018: Belgium (this one will be controversial)

I disagree on Belgium. France was a better team. 

We also were really unlucky against Belgium, after a slow start Brazil completely dominated that match. 

I've just checked, Brazil had 27 shots, Belgium 9. 

Out xG was 2.45, Belgium's 0.5. 😭

Archived