talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Best and Worst International Tournaments

Best and Worst International tournaments that you've seen, could be any reason for which you liked it or not entertainment, quality sides, competition, underdog story

Best

Euro 2008

World Cup 2014

Copa America 2016

Copa America 2011

Have vivid fond memories of Euro 2004 and Asian Cup 2007

Worst

Euro 2016 

Asia Cup 2011

World Cup 2010 ( had some quality sides but badly lacked the entertainment factor )

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Euro 2016 stands out as one of the more recent tournaments that was below par.

The World Cups from 1998 to 2016 were class, 2010 not so much but don't think it was as bad as some make out. The worst thing was the vuvuzelas. 

Most Euros pale in comparison to the Copa America in my mind but 2016 was the one that stood out for being awful. I also agree 2010 was meh. The vuvuzelas didn't bother me as I deal with those with the football I watch anyways but the matches outside of Germany and Argentina were dull.

Best ones was 2014 World Cup and 2015 Copa America. The 2018 World Cup also holds a special place in my mind because Peru was in it, but aside from those 3 magical matches for us (win or loss), it was a decent tournament and nothing more.

9 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Shit ones. 
Any AFCON

Also this.

I want to like African football but the matches always end 1-1 or 1-0. Any high scoring game is an anomaly there. It's a shame because it could be tons of fun otherwise.

8 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

Most Euros pale in comparison to the Copa America in my mind

Enough bias there....:ph34r:

It's well known that the Copa America tournaments are not taken as seriously as the Euros are. Over the years, many sides in South America have used the Copa America almost as a practice tournament. There have been countries that have called up youngsters for their national teams, instead of their first choice senior players in the Copa America. These are facts, you can look it up.

Just now, Michael said:

Enough bias there....:ph34r:

It's well known that the Copa America tournaments are not taken as seriously as the Euros. Over the years, many sides in South America have used the Copa America almost as a practice tournament. There have been sides that have called up youngsters for their national teams, instead of their first choice senior players in the Copa America. These are facts, you can look it up.

They can be facts, but I enjoy the Copa America way more.

I rather watch Bolivia vs Paraguay than Germany vs Spain. Sorry.

I have personally enjoyed most of the Euros that I have watched. I also thought that Euro 2016 was enjoyable, except for a few matches and the final, which was very underwhelming. But it was good to see a new winner in Portugal. Wales also had a terrific run which was nice to see. I feel the same about most World Cups, except maybe the 2002 World Cup, which had some boring games and a lot of controversy, which kind of spoilt it.

12 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

They can be facts, but I enjoy the Copa America way more.

I rather watch Bolivia vs Paraguay than Germany vs Spain. Sorry.

What about Bolivia vs Venezuela? :35_thinking:xDxDxD

Just now, Rucksackfranzose said:

The best I saw was probably Euro 88, some very good teams in it.

The worst won I'm torn between WC 2002 and WC 82.

I never watched Euro 88 live, as I was too young, but I watched clips of it years later on the various videos done on that tournament. It was very inspirational for me, watching some of the great goals scored in that competition. Some great players were on show there like Lothar Mathaus, Klinsmann, Protasov, Gullit and of course Marco van Basten. It obviously was not a great tournament for England, but Germany, the USSR and the Netherlands played some excellent football. It was also the Euros where the Irish national team came of age and made a name for themselves, with some respectable performances.

Just now, Michael said:

What about Bolivia vs Venezuela? :35_thinking:xDxDxD

Any South American game for me is better than Germany vs Spain in my opinion.

It's obviously not better quality. Not even close, but it's my preference. Personally I find the football philosophies of some European sides absolutely atrocious or just dull. I rather watch Bolivia run at Venezuela then watch Germany dominate 80% possession against some Eastern European that parked the bus (in my experience, the eastern europeans are most guilty of this). Or watch Spain pass the ball around constantly with no improvisation. 

The Euros really don't appeal to me much. That said, I do still watch it because the players are good and it's nice to witness football history with it. I just don't find the matches entertaining most of the time. The worst matches in the last world cup were the ones between the non traditional European giants (eg. Croatia vs Denmark and Russia, Sweden vs Switzlerland, etc.)

The Copa America has always been entertaining and matched the style of football I want to watch. This past Copa America (2019) was the first below average one in my life. Even though Peru made the final, it was quite dull. 2015 and 2016 were great.

In the end, it's preference. That and I didn't watch Euro 2008, which I hear was the best recent one. 

9 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

The best I saw was probably Euro 88, some very good teams in it.

The worst won I'm torn between WC 2002 and WC 82.

What about World Cup 1990? My dad told me that was the worst one.

1 minute ago, Inti Brian said:

Any South American game for me is better than Germany vs Spain in my opinion.

It's obviously not better quality. Not even close, but it's my preference. Personally I find the football philosophies of some European sides absolutely atrocious or just dull. I rather watch Bolivia run at Venezuela then watch Germany dominate 80% possession against some Eastern European that parked the bus (in my experience, the eastern europeans are most guilty of this). Or watch Spain pass the ball around constantly with no improvisation. 

The Euros really don't appeal to me much. That said, I do still watch it because the players are good and it's nice to witness football history with it. I just don't find the matches entertaining most of the time. The worst matches in the last world cup were the ones between the non traditional European giants (eg. Croatia vs Denmark and Russia, Sweden vs Switzlerland, etc.)

The Copa America has always been entertaining and matched the style of football I want to watch. This past Copa America (2019) was the first below average one in my life. Even though Peru made the final, it was quite dull. 2015 and 2016 were great.

In the end, it's preference. That and I didn't watch Euro 2008, which I hear was the best recent one. 

I think that's  complete rubbish, but listen mate, you are entitled to your opinion. I don't want to get into an argument over it, you are clearly not going to change your mind and as I said, you are entitled to your own view. 

Just now, Michael said:

I think that's  complete rubbish, but listen mate, you are entitled to your opinion. I don't want to get into an argument over it, you are clearly not going to change your mind and as I said, you are entitled to your own view. 

It's my preference. I just prefer it. 

It doesn't have to be better for someone to like it.

I Lik,ed it, my assessment might be biased because Germany won, though.

His judgement could also be biased, as he watched mostly Bilardo's Argentina at it's worst. (which ironically contradicts my above post slightly)

12 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

What about World Cup 1990? My dad told me that was the worst one.

No, the 1990 World Cup saw one of the best performances by the England national team, it also witnessed a world class West German team. Argentina went far but they played really boring football, in fact most of the South American sides didn't do well in that World Cup, so I guess you wouldn't like that World Cup.:ph34r:

Just now, Michael said:

Argentina went far but they played really boring football, in fact most of the South American sides didn't do well in that World Cup, so I guess you wouldn't like that World Cup.:ph34r:

Blame Bilardo.

He brought success so they can't complain at that but his style doesn't represent Argentina. 

10 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

His judgement could also be biased, as he watched mostly Bilardo's Argentina at it's worst. (which ironically contradicts my above post slightly)

Yes, that Argentina side was basically just inspired by Maradona and Caniggia, the team as whole though played some boring football. Watch the matches online and you can see for yourself. But it was mainly down to the class of those two players, plus the penalty saving exploits of their goalkeeper Goycochea, that took them very far.

Can't hide my nationality. Any German, even those raised in East Germany,  would refer to West Germany as Germany and to East Germany as GDR in footballing terms.

Yes, that makes sense. Well it was really the GDR that ceased to be, and East Germany really just merged with West Germany to form Germany, didn't it?

Archived